• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom binoculars (1 Viewer)

aeajr

I am still fairly new to birding. My wife and I picked this up starting around January 2017. Getting my optical tools fleshed out.

My wife wanted zooms binoculars so I got her Nikon 10-22X50s. Porro Prism BAK4 She really likes them. She has trouble walking so she does most of her observing near the car. The zoom helps her get closer to the birds since walking to them is difficult for her. The field of view is somewhat narrow and the close focus is 49 feet. These have not been a problem for her.

My main binoculars today are Opticron 8X32s. Roof prism, BAK4. Small and light. So far I am happy with them.

I picked up Celestron 7-21X40s. Real budget models. OK but I am not using them much. I don't have a problem walking so the zoom is not as important to me.

Just wondering if some better quality zooms might be a good next purchase or if I should stay with the 8X32s. I could get another Nikon zoom but wanted to see what the community advises.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome.
Few people here like zoom binoculars.
Nikon 8-16x40 XL are the only zooms normally recommended on the forum here. They are not made any more.

However, I use the Nikon 10-22x50 for astronomy. I have a new one and a secondhand one. They have chromatic aberration at 22x but are still usable. I can just make out Jupiter's main belts.

I don't think you will find a much better zoom than the Nikon 10-22x50 nowadays.
There is the very expensive Leica Duovid.

Perhaps a Canon 10x30 Mk II IS would suit, although more expensive.
Good examples have great resolution hand held. The IS varies in different examples.

Perhaps a 12x50 binocular resting on the car window or using a window mount would work, but be careful not to break the glass.

Happy New Year.

Half hour for me hopefully.

Binastro,

Thanks for the quick response. I am also involved in astronomy. In addition to the Opticron Oregon 8X32 that I use for birding I have Garrett 10X50s and Celestron Skymaster 15X70s. Then 3 telescopes.

So the birding community is not fond of zooms. OK, good to know.

Last edited:
The problem with the Nikon 10-22x50s is chiefly that they are not robust because of mechanical complexity, small field and false colour. But if your wife likes the binocular don't let anyone tell you they don't work, because they do.
It may be that replacements are needed when they wear out, but they are not expensive.

I have an excellent Pentax 8-20x24 binocular. But I needed three to get a really good one.

The 15x70 Skymasters are fragile and frequently are out of collimation. I have several Revelation 15x70s that cost £49 each. Fully multicoated and bright. Large field for 15x.
The Quantam 15x70 is better, but heavier.

Your wife might be able to manage a 16x50, possibly tripod mounted or with a monopod.

I also have several telescopes.

Astronomers tend to buy lower cost binoculars than birdwatchers. More likely Porroprism also, rather than the roof prisms that birdwatchers seem to favour.

My cousins live on Long Island, but I haven't been to the U.S. for 30 years.
I only slept 3 hours because of adrenaline from all the fireworks here.
Noisy also.
At least my neighbour brought me a present. Most unexpected.

Last edited:
@ Binastro
"Astronomers tend to buy lower cost binoculars than birdwatchers. More likely Porroprism also, rather than the roof prisms that birdwatchers seem to favour."

At last, someone that's written it down...

I have 3 scopes, 1 astro, 1 spotting and 1 travel, all decent.

2 pairs of bins, Steiner Police 10x42 Heavy but very robust and work brilliantly for me, and and old set of bushnell porroprisms, permanently in the car, also that are firm favourites.

As a cross section of "is it able to do what I want / cost" matrix, I am really happy, and will always argue, as you did, use what you are comfortable with, what you can afford and what works for you. My Uncle used to lead birdwatching tours in the New Forest with 7x£% porro prisms, and 15x70 (0r bigger) tripod mounted and refused the family trying to buy him different as a retirement gift!

So Aeajr, if they're working for you and your wife, and you are still happy with them, you're doing it right... but beware of optical envy, it can get expensive.

I am starting to digiscope, and have come up with a whole list of new cameras, tripods, scopes and gadgets that I really must have.

Harry

aeajr,
If you want a useful binocular with multiple magnifications, the Leica Duovids are an excellent choice. If you are interested in the historical development of such type of binoculars: I have published a powerpoint presentation of the historical development of that type of binoculars on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. It was originally presented at the meeting of the Binocular History Society in München in october 2017.
Gijs van Ginkel

aeajr. Have a look at the Opticron MMS 160 image stabilised 'scope which are currently on offer at £299 with a free 7x-21x zoom lens. It is lighter and smaller than a binocular as it fits inside a 7x50 monocular case.

opticron.co.uk/PDF/MMS_160_User_Guide.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back