• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2003 Year List. (1 Viewer)

My year list almost always ends up around 180 -190 and this year looks like being no exception. That said I managed three year ticks today - Little Egret, Little Owl and a proper Caspian Gull at last (which was a 'lifer' of sorts). Congratulations to everyone over 200 - something I've only ever managed once!

jose said:
I don't feel so bad now,I thought everybody here had list of 300 plus. My year and life list stands at 159. My objective next year is to raise it to 200.
Hope every has a happy 2004 and a good birding year.

although it must look to you from this thread that everybody into birds is a lister it's not the case.....some of us aren't ;)

it doesn't mean anything and you most definitely shouldn't feel 'bad' as you say.

enjoy your birds Jose and don't feel pressured by the numbers game

after all I've seen more birds in a couple of weeks in some places than on my UK life list - it means nowt!

Just been doing a bit of reckoning,but can't get my list above 197 for the year. :-C
Out of the year 59 days were spent birding(thats counting holidays etc)of which 15 were spent in Norfolk.Out of the 197 species see,146 were seen in Norfolk,thats about 74% of my years total.I'm going to have to get down to Norfolk a bit more often if this is going to be the case.

Happy New Year everybody

Geoff :t:

Well are we on for this idea of birdmans club, it sounds like fun my list is only 145, it may make us try a lot harder? I would be a very happy birder if
i could just add Bonapartes gull as i have dipped
on this gull 3 times!!! so do we give it a go? over
to you folks.

It's not a bad idea but as there is already a uk 400 and a uk 250 club how about making it a sub 250 club ..if enough people showed an interest we could ask the guys in charge for our own category like the bird buzz community page.

Denis J said:
It's not a bad idea but as there is already a uk 400 and a uk 250 club how about making it a sub 250 club ..if enough people showed an interest we could ask the guys in charge for our own category like the bird buzz community page.

Sub 250 club! That means anyone can join "goodie" My list for 2004 is 1! Can I join? ;)

IH

Utah USA 2003 Bird List

Well, seeing how Strix has joined in from Wisconsin, I will venture another US 2003 list. I will attach my list in case anyone comes to Utah s/he can gain an idea of when they can see what. This is the first year I have done this, but will continue to do so now that I have started. Most of these were seen more than one time. The time I listed is the first time I saw them for the year and the place. The exception to this is the Reddish Egret. It was only seen for a few weeks, and it was the first time since 1956 that it had been seen (confirmed), and the Blue Jay is similar, very rare for Utah (but not as much as the Reddish Egret).

So for Utah my tally stands at 191 species for 2003, 25 of which were new for me (I made more of an effort to see a wider variety of birds this year). I did take a 3 day business trip to Vancouver, BC, but DID NOT include these on the list (they are written in separately on the bottom, only saw a couple of different species anyway, but they were lifers!).

Tyler (geomorph), if you are reading this, how did you do?

Attachments

• FIELD CHECKLIST OF THE BIRDS OF UTAH 2003.doc
    61.5 KB · Views: 87
bcurrie, glad to see some more company from this side of the pond. 191 seems to be pretty good for Utah, you seem to have gotten most of the expected species and a couple rare ones. You've got about 30 that would be lifers for me. In addition to Wisconsin, I spent time in Washington and Texas this year, so my year numbers got quite a boost from that.

Reporting from Missouri, USA. I had 273 species in Missouri for 2003. My wife and I took a trip to Texas during 2003 and that trip brought the years total to 331. Texas has a lot of neat birds!

Last edited:
Hmm can we set up a BBC?.
That first B = Beginners!.
My list for 2003 is 113 but I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on my local patch and do not twitch further than two miles!.
I think my best bird of the year is probably an Eider Duck!.

Well up to 49 this year. A few goodies like Green Sandpiper, Smew, Water Rail & Treecreeper. The Firecrest is still active at Rye Meads so may have another look for it tomorrow!!

I'll have to add up my Rye Meads list which is my local haunt.

Reporting from Warboys..
My 2003 year list finished on 219.....Smew at Fen Drayton Gravel Pits were the last addition........
....I added 20 new species to my British list!
I started 2004 in South Wales, and got Peregrine as my 1st raptor and Raven as my 1st Corvid!!!
At the Gwent Levels it's Cetti City....I heard at least 15
singing males during my visit, and also saw a female Scaup!
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back