• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light pair of bins sought (1 Viewer)

Andrew Gibson

I am trying to locate a pair of quality optics that weigh in under 800g. They must also have a wide field of view.
Can any one suggest a pair

I am trying to locate a pair of quality optics that weigh in under 800g. They must also have a wide field of view.
Nikon EII 8x30, porro-prism binos, about 350 quid from Clifton Cameras UK (I´ve no connection with them). Alpha-quality optics, panoramic 8.8 degree Field of View, weigh less than 600g. A classic. Not waterproof, but unless you plan swimming with them, hardly matters.

Hi Andrew,
I would say that 800g is heavy. 600g is light I reckon. Opticron Discovery are only 390g! They are at the lower price point though so perhaps aren't what you have in mind when you say "quality optics."
Do you want full size 40/42 mm objectives or would you be happy with 30/32 mm?
Do you wear glasses. If so then eye-relief will likely be an issue.

Hi Andrew,
I would say that 800g is heavy. 600g is light I reckon. Opticron Discovery are only 390g! They are at the lower price point though so perhaps aren't what you have in mind when you say "quality optics."
Do you want full size 40/42 mm objectives or would you be happy with 30/32 mm?
Do you wear glasses. If so then eye-relief will likely be an issue.

yes, 28-29oz does not seem to be light by roof standard. Depending on how you plan to your binoculars, maybe consider some of those pocket 8x20/25 binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back