• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Subjective 10x42SE/10x42HG comparison (1 Viewer)

RCMann

Before having to return them because of a loose screw in the barrel, I recently had the opportunity to use a set of Nikon 10x42 HGs for a couple of months. Based substantially on what I read on this forum and the BVD site, I replaced them with a set of Nikon 10x42 SEs. In a short period of time, I’ve found the SEs tremendously more satisfying to use and have been thinking about why they are so enjoyable. I realize these are my own mostly subjective opinions, but I can definitely understand why the SE line has such a fanatical following. Anyway, here are a few points of analysis:

Weight: At 25 oz, the SE is 10oz less than the HG, or appx 2/3 the weight. In the shop it may not seem like much, but when carrying the bins around in the field this is a really substantial difference.

Shape: The SEs are easier to grasp and carry, and seem to have better balance than the HGs. They simply feel better. Combined with the lighter weight, the SEs present a far superior ergonomic package.

Focus: HG focus is smooth as glass, but the knob turned a bit too easily for my taste, and even with practice I often tended to overshoot the focus and would have to ‘back and forth’ it more than I do with the SE. The SE focus is somewhat stiffer, but I feel it is more positive because of the stiffness; I tend to come into focus more easily with the SEs without the tendency to overcorrect and return.

Waterproofing: HG wins, no contest. However, in the worst-case scenario of the SEs becoming waterlogged, leaky, moldy, vermin infested or whatever, Nikon has a lifetime no-fault repair/replacement warranty that will take care of them. It’s $10 plus shipping for anything that goes wrong, including dropping them out of a window, running them over with a car, moldy/waterlogged, etc.

CA: Definitely more noticeable in the HGs, although it’s detectable in the SEs in some instances.

Optics: The image of the SE is slightly smaller, but it’s hypnotic. Why? The only thing I can find to explain it is the 3D effect of the SEs. The HGs are crystal clear, but flat (as are all the roofs-I also own a set of Pentax 10x43 DCF SPs, and have tested a number of Leicas and Swarovskis as well). It’s like sitting in front of a top quality HDTV with a plasma screen-beautiful, clear image-but it looks like an image: flat and 2D. The SE is not only sublimely clear edge to edge, but the subtle effect of 3D caused by the greater spacing of the porro’s barrels renders a depth that’s absent in the HG; it truly seems as if you’re simply standing 10x closer to the target without using anything. The sharpness and depth of the view almost transcends reality-I think this is why so many people are devoted to these binoculars. They are truly an incredible piece of work.

Price: Not an issue when I was hunting for a set, but the fact that I could buy two sets of the SEs for what I would spend on one set of the HGs (or 3 sets for the price of the Swar 10x42 ELs) is icing on the cake. It’s rare when you can get higher quality (in terms of how well you can see, not waterproofness) for substantially less money.

I’ll be on the lookout for a set of the 8x32 SEs.

The roughly 700g weight is pretty much the heaviest I have walked around with...bigger ones are good for boats and such.

Tero said:
The roughly 700g weight is pretty much the heaviest I have walked around with...bigger ones are good for boats and such.

Are you sure you have got this one correct, Tero? The Nikon 10x42SEs are lighter than the competition and, in some cases (Nikon HG, Swaro SLC, Leica BNs), very much lighter. I think you will find most of the birding community walking round with binos that are 'good for boats and such'! ;)

BTW, I'm still awaiting my 10x42SEs to be delivered from the US. I'll post some feedback when they arrive.

Tero said:

Tero,

I don't think 700 g is any particular heavy. In fact it seems to be pretty much average for this class of binoculars if you look through the specs of a bunch.

I don't follow your argument really. IMO, 10x is pretty useless on boats and the weight is equally important for someone at sea as for a birder on shore.

Cheers, Jens.

Nikon High Grade 10x42 HG DCF looks real nice. The weight and bulk to me would be a big issue. I like to be as light as possible, that is why I never had the old fashioned 40 or 50mm porros that weigh even more, the kind most sports stores sell. I use mostly roof prisms for various reasons but have two caompact porros.

I'm trying to see what there is to compare, as both would work fine, I need much less in optics. If I had these to choose and nothing else, I guess it would be close, as I do like roof prisms generally.

RCMann said:
I’ll be on the lookout for a set of the 8x32 SEs.
Thanks for the great comparison.

If you do get your hands on an 8x32 SE, please post your opinions on how that compares to the 10x42 SE. Thanks.

mpedris said:
Thanks for the great comparison.

If you do get your hands on an 8x32 SE, please post your opinions on how that compares to the 10x42 SE. Thanks.

I owned both these SE's at the same time for a while and had the opportunity to compare them side by side many times. My conclusion regarding the optical quality - i.e., how good an image you see through the binos, ias that tat the 10x42 is much sharper, no doubt!

However, I just today went out with Gunvald to compare my 10x42 SE with his 8x32 SE. There was a fair wind, maybe 6 m/s, and the shake reduced the amont of detail that could be seen through the 10x42 to about the same as with the 8x32. Then, in windy conditions, the 8x32 came out better because it has a larger field of view and it is less tiresome to look through because of less shake.

In still conditions though, the 10x42 is almost unbeatable.

Cheers, Jens.

Thank you, Jens.

I've ordered an 8x32 SE for my wife. She doesn't feel she can steadily hold the 10x.

But I can. So, in your opinion, is there any point in owning BOTH 8x32 and 10x42 SEs at the same time? I was considering buying the latter for myself if it makes that much of a difference over the 8x. Otherwise, my wife and I can share the 8x.

Thanks.

mpedris said:
I've ordered an 8x32 SE for my wife. She doesn't feel she can steadily hold the 10x.

But I can. So, in your opinion, is there any point in owning BOTH 8x32 and 10x42 SEs at the same time?

While I don't use the 8x32/10x42 SE's, I've been using both 8x and 10x binoculars for quite a few year now. (OK, I've got a few more pairs, but I don't use them all that often ..:)) I tend to use my 8x32's whenever I want to keep the weight (and size) down as much as possible, and when I know I'll be carrying a scope at all times. I also prefer them in dense woodlands because of the greater depth of field. The 10X are my favourite whenever I know I'll be doing some birding without my scope, when I'm birding in open landscape or when I know I'll spend a lot of time in hides where I can rest my arms.

So yes, I believe there're good reasons to have both the 8x32's and the 10x42's. Come to think of it, there are probably equally good reasons for owning about 5 to 10 different pairs ...:))

Hermann

DON"T DO IT!!!

mpedris said:
Thank you, Jens.

But I can. So, in your opinion, is there any point in owning BOTH 8x32 and 10x42 SEs at the same time? I was considering buying the latter for myself if it makes that much of a difference over the 8x. Otherwise, my wife and I can share the 8x.

Thanks.

If you and your wife will be out alone at different times then sharing a pair of binoculars is fine. If you'll be going out together (which I assume you will) then having only one set of binos will prove to be a frustrating experience that may lead to resentment, marital disharmony, and a host of other maladies. Bite the bullet and get another set. I of course would recommend the 10x42 SEs. Rod

As Jebir wrote, we were out for a side-by-side comparison of the SE 8x and 10x binoculars.

For me, this was the first time I tried the 10x SEs and after this little field test I have mixed feelings.

I enjoyed holding the 10x SE-s, they actually felt as if they are lighter in weight than the 8x SE-s. They are not, but for me this was a distinct and lasting feeling. The 10x SE-s balance very well, even better than the 8x, perhaps that is the answer.

The view you get from the 10x SE-s are of equal quality as from the 8x, but of course more nervous due to the magnification. I used my 8x SE-s on a photo trip to Scotland recently and can tell that they are fully useable even in really windy conditions and when you are getting tired during walks and have no support to rest against. I doubt I would have preferred the 10x on that trip, but perhaps when viewing from a car or a hide.

I tried to look for differencies in percepted depth of field, it seems to be excellent in both binos and should not affect the decision for anyone interested in the 10x SE-s. I did not notice any difference in image black-outs between the two SE-s when you move the eye, but I did not really looked for it.

I think I am completely satisfied with my 8x SE-s and now perhaps consider the 12x SE-s as a more interesting complement than the 10x SE-s, the 12x magnification gives a real difference which motivates useage of a monopod to a greater extent than the 10x. Since the eye-piece and the prism seem to be the same in all the three SE versions, the 12x should not give any big drawbacks other than substantially higher weight (but still lighter in weight than a pair of 8x42 HG-s) and that lousy close focus capability, 7 meters, but then you have the 8x for closer views.

Hermann said:
While I don't use the 8x32/10x42 SE's, I've been using both 8x and 10x binoculars for quite a few year now. (OK, I've got a few more pairs, but I don't use them all that often ..:)) I tend to use my 8x32's whenever I want to keep the weight (and size) down as much as possible, and when I know I'll be carrying a scope at all times. I also prefer them in dense woodlands because of the greater depth of field. The 10X are my favourite whenever I know I'll be doing some birding without my scope, when I'm birding in open landscape or when I know I'll spend a lot of time in hides where I can rest my arms.

So yes, I believe there're good reasons to have both the 8x32's and the 10x42's. Come to think of it, there are probably equally good reasons for owning about 5 to 10 different pairs ...:))
RCMann said:
If you and your wife will be out alone at different times then sharing a pair of binoculars is fine. If you'll be going out together (which I assume you will) then having only one set of binos will prove to be a frustrating experience that may lead to resentment, marital disharmony, and a host of other maladies. Bite the bullet and get another set. I of course would recommend the 10x42 SEs. Rod
Thanks, guys, for the advice. I'm now 90% sure of getting a 10x pair.

gunvald said:
For me, this was the first time I tried the 10x SEs and after this little field test I have mixed feelings.
gunvald,

If I read your post right, you have not mentioned why you had mixed feelings... What were the negative aspects of the 10x SE?

Thanks.

mpedris said:
gunvald,

If I read your post right, you have not mentioned why you had mixed feelings... What were the negative aspects of the 10x SE?

Thanks.

So sorry if I was a little unclear.

I have no negative remarks at all about the 10x SE. Their slightly nervous view under windy conditions is, as I see it, a direct effect of their magnification and not a fault. I just happen to prefer 8x magnification for myself.

The very slighty mixed impression comes from the fact that I, to my surprise, preferred the handling of the 10x, while I initially expected the 8x to be better in view as well as in handling since the 8x is smaller and lighter. So, I think that the 8x SE could have a very slightly better balance.

I am not discussing faults or flaws, these are just comments since I find it fun to discuss the finer details of these fine binoculars. If you go for the 8x SE, forget about it and enjoy their good and stable 8x view without any doubts. If you prefer the 10x SE, I think that you will find them extremely well-balanced and a delight to hold in your hands. It is only when you have them available side-by-side that you can discover such small differencies as I did. If I had been evaluating them sitting in a car, I might not have taken notice.

Gunvald, I think I agree with you that it really comes down to which magnification you prefer - they are both excellent porros in their magnification category. The other 'differences' are just incidental to your choice of magnification.
I am intrigued by your comment on the 12x, though. I think you are right that it would represent a much more significant difference and be very useful in certain conditions. I wonder if it is as outstanding as the 8x/10x. Have you tried it?

Just to stick in here once more, since I feel some kinship with any 10x people. B :)

Hermann said:
I tend to use my 8x32's whenever I want to keep the weight (and size) down as much as possible, and when I know I'll be carrying a scope at all times. I also prefer them in dense woodlands because of the greater depth of field. The 10X are my favourite whenever I know I'll be doing some birding without my scope, when I'm birding in open landscape or when I know I'll spend a lot of time in hides where I can rest my arms.
Hermann

I have just a bunch of cheapo pairs that are 8x25 and 10x25 plus some Nikon 10x36 Sporters. For only one pair with me, the 10x36 are my ideal compromise and that is pretty much for the same reason as you. There were some 10x42s of some brand in the store, but they seemed too heavy. Here, I have no problem, mine weigh 700g. Some of the weight comes from being "water resistant".

Last edited:
mike60 said:
Gunvald, I think I agree with you that it really comes down to which magnification you prefer - they are both excellent porros in their magnification category. The other 'differences' are just incidental to your choice of magnification.
I am intrigued by your comment on the 12x, though. I think you are right that it would represent a much more significant difference and be very useful in certain conditions. I wonder if it is as outstanding as the 8x/10x. Have you tried it?

No, unfortately not.

I think it to some extent depends on the quality of the tripod adapter for the SE binoculars. If this adapter is sturdy and well made, the 12x might be good and enjoyable to use with e.g. a monopod with a swivel head.

In my way of thinking, a 12x binocular gives a real difference to the 8x SE in a smaller package than a (low power) scope and since the SE-s are Porros, they should provide some stereo effect even at greater distances, which no scope (except the very few stereo scopes) can provide.

Another reason for choosing high-power binoculars instead of a scope is that two eyes will see more than one since the brain will weigh together information from two channels.

I have the opportunity to buy via a friend who is studying in Japan. The SE-s are said to be quite cheap there and even a 12x would probably cost much less than a good scope with a few oculars or perhaps not more than, say, one single Pentax astronomical ocular. If I eventually get a scope, I can then concentrate on getting the medium to higher magnifying oculars instead.

These are just my lose thoughts and perhaps it will end in buying a scope after all some day for everything beyond what my 8x binoculars can resolve.

gunvald said:
...perhaps it will end in buying a scope after all some day for everything beyond what my 8x binoculars can resolve.

I warmly recommend this option. Even a "less expensive" compact scope (with 20-30x fixed eyepiece) opens you a world of distant targets that even the 12x SEs cannot resolve. But then again there is a popular hobby called digiscoping... 80+mm objectives, fluorite, ED, fluid/videoheads, carbon/wooden tripods, adapters, $$$/€€€/SEK...

Ilkka

iporali said:
I warmly recommend this option. Even a "less expensive" compact scope (with 20-30x fixed eyepiece) opens you a world of distant targets that even the 12x SEs cannot resolve. But then again there is a popular hobby called digiscoping... 80+mm objectives, fluorite, ED, fluid/videoheads, carbon/wooden tripods, adapters, $$$/€€€/SEK...

Ilkka
Ilkka,
As you so eloquently put it, happiness is NEVER at hand. It is ALWAYS around the next corner...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back