• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Imagic BGA 8x32 or the 2010 Verano 8x32 (1 Viewer)

I tried both 10x side by side for about 10minutes together with my Bushnell 7x26 elite. I thought there were a couple of odd aspects to both which I couldn't explain. I couldn't get a comfortable view with the Veranos. Just gave me eye strain of some sort. Something I couldn't quite figure out. However I found them sharp and the colours natural but the contrast slightly muted. I much preferred the view of the Imagic BGA SE. There was much more contrast and colour vibrancy like the Bushnells. However on the pair I tested the 10x Imagics could not out resolve the Bushnells, even when firmly braced against a door frame. I think you might prefer the Imagics but think you should test carefully the pair you buy.

David

I tried both 10x side by side for about 10minutes together with my Bushnell 7x26 elite. I thought there were a couple of odd aspects to both which I couldn't explain. I couldn't get a comfortable view with the Veranos. Just gave me eye strain of some sort. Something I couldn't quite figure out. However I found them sharp and the colours natural but the contrast slightly muted. I much preferred the view of the Imagic BGA SE. There was much more contrast and colour vibrancy like the Bushnells. However on the pair I tested the 10x Imagics could not out resolve the Bushnells, even when firmly braced against a door frame. I think you might prefer the Imagics but think you should test carefully the pair you buy.

David

How does any of this help the OP? who wants 8x32 and not 10x anything

Chris,

The point I hoped to make was while superficially I had a strong preference between the two models I tested, I noticed a problem with both pairs which doesn't relate to the magnification. I have no idea if this was a design issue, QC or shop abuse. There was a lot about the Imagics I liked but there was a resolution issue with the pair I tested. They were from the same range as the query and I suggested care should be taken to test before purchase. I thought it was information worth passing on. Apologies if you thought that was an inappropriate post.

David

Ive tested both side by side and ended up getting the BGA, optically I found them more suited to my eyes, also the added weight over the verano made them feel more balanced and also the greater FOV 140m against the veranos 131m.

Hi, All opinions are appreciated, I'm wondering David what the odd aspects were, Was it a design issue or the vibe I'm getting a dodgy shop pair. Was it both pairs that felt not right. From reading around both pair seem to be quality bins so I will definately have to compare the two of them. I wouldnt be worried about the build quality as I've tested numerous opticrons and never had a problem with them but thanks for your reply. Ger.

Squidge,

On that day I'd tested about 20 pairs of 10x starting with the cheapest. I was looking for a pair with the same contrast and colour vibrancy of my 7x (I also have cheap 6, 8 and 10x). The first 18 were rapidly rejected for a variety of reasons, but the Veranos and Imagics I though were worth serious attention.

I thought the Veranos offered the best resolution/field of view combination with good natural colour and contrast, but it didn't matter what I did with the diopter, IPD, eye relief I was always straining to to use both eyes. Could have been columation, shop damage, don't know.

The Imagics had the immediate wow factor I was looking for. The Goldfinches really gleamed! Perhaps not entirely natural, but other birds stood out against the foliage as well. Great field of view. However I could not see the detail I could with most of the others let alone the Veronos. I spent a bit of time doing tests on various objects at a range of distances with the Imagics and the 7x braced against a door frame. I know my 7x give me about 12.5 arsecond (unboosted) resolution and my cheap 10x are about 10.5 arcseconds (poor for a 10x) I think these were closer to 12.5 arcseconds as well. I think it was both barrels if I remember correctly.

Obviously these comments only relate to the specific pairs I tested that day, and I certainly wouldn't suggest they were typical for the range but it prompted me to suggest that you pay particular attention to comfort of the view and the resolution when you test these ranges for yourself. It was a shame. In other respects I thought these were the standout pairs of the day.

David

Squidge,

On that day I'd tested about 20 pairs of 10x starting with the cheapest. I was looking for a pair with the same contrast and colour vibrancy of my 7x (I also have cheap 6, 8 and 10x). The first 18 were rapidly rejected for a variety of reasons, but the Veranos and Imagics I though were worth serious attention.

I thought the Veranos offered the best resolution/field of view combination with good natural colour and contrast, but it didn't matter what I did with the diopter, IPD, eye relief I was always straining to to use both eyes. Could have been columation, shop damage, don't know.

The Imagics had the immediate wow factor I was looking for. The Goldfinches really gleamed! Perhaps not entirely natural, but other birds stood out against the foliage as well. Great field of view. However I could not see the detail I could with most of the others let alone the Veronos. I spent a bit of time doing tests on various objects at a range of distances with the Imagics and the 7x braced against a door frame. I know my 7x give me about 12.5 arsecond (unboosted) resolution and my cheap 10x are about 10.5 arcseconds (poor for a 10x) I think these were closer to 12.5 arcseconds as well. I think it was both barrels if I remember correctly.

Obviously these comments only relate to the specific pairs I tested that day, and I certainly wouldn't suggest they were typical for the range but it prompted me to suggest that you pay particular attention to comfort of the view and the resolution when you test these ranges for yourself. It was a shame. In other respects I thought these were the standout pairs of the day.

David

Hi David,

what 7x bins were you comparing them against?

Best wishes
Martin

Martin,

They are the Bushnell 7x26 (Custom) Elite. A slightly quirky, non-waterproof reverse poro. I noted you were wanting a larger pair of 7x. pm me if you want a detailed critique. I've derailed the thread enough.

David

Thanks David for your insight into the Opticrons. As you said better to check them out first but on opinions and reviews on the net I seem to be edging towards the imagics. Whatever I choose will be my main pair along with the Nikon E11s for dry days, That is until I get enough money for a pair of the Alpha's.;) Thanks Ger.

David

Hi David,

I take it you tried your 7x26 Bushnell's against the Imagic and Verano 10x42's because these binoculars are not available in 10x32's, only 8x32 models.

That's unless you were comparing Compacts?

I'm confused now.....

Regards

Rob:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back