• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear sp. Istria, Romania (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear forum
Please can anyone advise or confirm that the attached photos is of a Northern Wheatear?

Attachments

• File 0111.jpg
    File 0111.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 50
  • File 0112.jpg
    File 0112.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 55
  • File 0114.jpg
    File 0114.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 108
of course juv wheatears are very similar and an extremely difficult matter. but EBW doesn't breed nearby (closest are at cap kaliakra in bulgaria), while there are at least 4 pairs of northern wheatear nesting in the ruins of histria fortification. ok, now what i found in 3 online-pics of melanoleuca and in shirihai/svensson is a very conspicous white median covert bar in EBW while only a minority of northerns are showing this, usually less conspicous. also structurally - bill looks strong and legs long for EBW.

yes i'm sure about the distribution. i worked on the breeding atlas and also know about the most recent records in that well surveyed region. the yellow area in southern romanian dobrogea is wrong. just a few male melanoleuca entered some places and produced hybrids with pied. but i agree the pics are suboptimal and a juv wheatear might not be possible to be identified by them. i'm still convinced it is just a northern - what exactly is it that makes you feel EBW, Brian?

My first impression on looking at the pics - before reading any comments - was EBEW, though if pressed I definitely wouldn't have excluded Pied or hybrid.

yes i'm sure about the distribution. i worked on the breeding atlas and also know about the most recent records in that well surveyed region. the yellow area in southern romanian dobrogea is wrong. just a few male melanoleuca entered some places and produced hybrids with pied. but i agree the pics are suboptimal and a juv wheatear might not be possible to be identified by them. i'm still convinced it is just a northern - what exactly is it that makes you feel EBW, Brian?

Lou, I know juveniles can have shorter wings, but aren't those pp really too short for NW ?

i don't think so, valery. and it's a bit hard to measure pp exactly, but it looks to be around 100 which is ok for a juv northern. pp is longer than tail projection.

i don't think so, valery. and it's a bit hard to measure pp exactly, but it looks to be around 100 which is ok for a juv northern. pp is longer than tail projection.

I estimate this pp at about 60% and, generally speaking, falling very short on the tail base. I might be wrong though, photos are... what ? Suboptimal (I like this work ! 8-P).

I find this an an interesting thread primarily through the knowledge and thoughts of those participating - and all because Earnest Lad couldn’t be bothered to try and ID a juvenile Wheatear.....spp.....for himself;)

Laurie:t:

I find this an an interesting thread primarily through the knowledge and thoughts of those participating - and all because Earnest Lad couldn’t be bothered to try and ID a juvenile Wheatear.....spp.....for himself;)

Laurie:t:

Isn't that a little unfair? The OP stated in post #1 he wanted confirmation it was a juvenile Northern Wheatear, ergo he had made a preliminary identification and was seeking expert advice.

you overlooked the smiley, kb57, which referred to a long discussion on another thread.
valery, here's a juv northern with not fully grown rectrices and primarries, pp about 70% i guess: https://scontent.ffra1-1.fna.fbcdn....=dc85bbcbc7d5ef14564086199c278247&oe=5DC5B4BB

Thanks Lou:t:

Wow, that'll teach me for looking at this thread in isolation...still puzzling how an OP without a photo can end up as a critique of 'birding by camera'...(and before I inadvertently kick anything off on this thread, don't shoot, I'm a 'binocs-first' guy!!!)

of course juv wheatears are very similar and an extremely difficult matter. but EBW doesn't breed nearby (closest are at cap kaliakra in bulgaria), while there are at least 4 pairs of northern wheatear nesting in the ruins of histria fortification. ok, now what i found in 3 online-pics of melanoleuca and in shirihai/svensson is a very conspicous white median covert bar in EBW while only a minority of northerns are showing this, usually less conspicous. also structurally - bill looks strong and legs long for EBW.

Are you sure EBW breeds at Kaliakra, Lou? I only know of Pied there.

Are you sure EBW breeds at Kaliakra, Lou? I only know of Pied there.

well, same as you, andy. i assumed it breeds there because of the (maybe eronously drawn) distribution maps and the presence of 1-2 males i also encountered there (back in 2002). but no, i'm not sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back