• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FS ED3 60 and 82 update (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

I couldn't post on the older similar thread so I'm starting a new one.

Just wanted to post my reflections on these two excellent scopes, both of which I now own.

The 60 is essentially an updated version of the ED2, which I owned and used hard for many years. Minor improvements in optics, but the waterproof (and therefore dustproof) aspect make it a winner.

I recently got an 82 off ebay, and all I can say is, "wow". A healthy step up in resolution and pop from the 60, and dark performance is superb. I absolutely love it - I must have gotten a good one. Of course heavy and big, but that goes with the size. For the money, considering that you can pick these up for $600 or so used, this has to be one of the great bargains in optics.

The one thing I don't like about the scope, and it is not minor (though probably not major either), is that it is imbalanced at the tripod mount point, being front heavy. Nikon saved money by sharing the body between the 60 and 82, and designed the scope to balance with the 60, not the 82. I have to crank down my Bogen fluid head mount to keep it from falling forward, to the point where it isn't very fluid. I don't like this, but I'm willing to live with it.

I am going to sell the 60 and buy a 50, as my travel/long walk setup, along with a great Bogen Junior tripod.

All this said, if I were going to have just one scope, it would probably be the 60. It is a great all rounder, and beautifully made. A true classic.

The one thing I don't like about the scope, and it is not minor (though probably not major either), is that it is imbalanced at the tripod mount point, being front heavy. Nikon saved money by sharing the body between the 60 and 82, and designed the scope to balance with the 60, not the 82. I have to crank down my Bogen fluid head mount to keep it from falling forward, to the point where it isn't very fluid. I don't like this, but I'm willing to live with it.

I would have thought it would be the other way around with the 60 being tail-heavy. Nevertheless, the solution is to use a head and quick release system which allows the use of long plates.

I have an Arca Swiss compatible video head and a long plate allows me to achieve perfect balance with my very tail-heavy Swarovski ATM 65HD.

John

I would have thought it would be the other way around with the 60 being tail-heavy...
That's my experience. The 82ED is balanced (with stay-on case), the 60ED3 is tail heavy, and my 78ED is strongly front heavy. Sliding plates of the Arca standard or Gitzo/Manfrotto/Sirui standard even everything out easily.

--AP

Good of you to post your experience. The Nikons are very good.

It looks like an ED50 should be in your future. I have posted before, I say wow, every time I use
mine. I don't know how they do it.

And you can use the same eyepieces on any of these, another plus. That reminds me, I should sell
a couple of FS eyepieces I don't use enough.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back