• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Synallaxis (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

O'Shea, B. J., 2009. Evolution of vocal signals in a neotropical avian lineage. Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College: i-viii, 1-172.

Do not think this phd has been posted here yet.

Last edited:
S ruficapilla complex

Stopiglia, Raposo & Teixeira (in press). Taxonomy and geographic variation of the Synallaxis ruficapilla Vieillot, 1819 species-complex (Aves: Passeriformes: Furnariidae). J Ornithol. [abstract]

[See also Stopiglia & Raposo 2006.]

Last edited:
S ruficapilla complex

Batalha-Filho, Irestedt, Fjeldså, Ericson, Silveira & Miyaki (in press). Molecular systematics and evolution of the Synallaxis ruficapilla complex (Aves: Furnariidae) in the Atlantic Forest. Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]

Will this further help to rethink Brazil's avifauna? Rufous-capped/Bahia Spinetail and Serra/Restinga Antwren combine forms that are more different than some of the species which appear to be split on the basis of habitat alone!

(Just saw Bahia Spinetail last week, being aware of the impending doom. Thankfully I managed Pinto's as well).

Batalha-Filho et al

Batalha-Filho, Irestedt, Fjeldså, Ericson, Silveira & Miyaki (in press). Molecular systematics and evolution of the Synallaxis ruficapilla complex (Aves: Furnariidae) in the Atlantic Forest. Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]
Accepted MS now online. [abstract]

So, do they actually describe this undescribed form?
No, Niels...
Our data also suggest that the specimens from Vila Rica-MT belong to an undescribed taxon of Synallaxis. Additional specimens possibly related to this new taxon were collected in other localities in the Amazon, in Coroatá, Maranhão (Oren, 1991, specimens in Louisiana State University, Museum of Natural Science) and São Félix do Xingu (specimens in Museu Paraense Emílio Goeldi, Brazil), previously identified as S. infuscata and S. macconnelli respectively. The number of rectrices of these specimens suggests that they belong to the S. ruficapilla complex (Stopiglia et al., 2012). Also, Zimmer et al. (1997) mentioned specimens of S. cabanisi in Alta Floresta in the state of Mato Grosso (approx. 550 km west from Vila Rica-MT), but according to Whitney (1997) these birds possibly belong to an undescribed species of the S. ruficapilla complex. Therefore, further efforts of field surveys in these regions will be important to obtain specimens of unnamed Synallaxis to determine whether all these records represent the same cryptic taxon as identified in our study, as well as determining the geographic distribution and taxonomic status of this lineage.

Last edited:
Bahia Spinetail

Bauernfeind, Dickinson & Steinheimer 2014. Contested spinetail systematics: nomenclature and the Code to the rescue. Bull BOC 134(1): 70–76.
SUMMARY.—Nomenclatural confusion in a complex of spinetails (Synallaxis spp.; Furnariidae) has arisen from early historical treatments in which new names were proposed for differing reasons. Following an historical evaluation and an examination of the rules of nomenclature we conclude that the name Synallaxis cinereus Wied, 1831, was proposed in such a manner as to immediately become a junior subjective synonym of Parulus ruficeps Spix, 1824 and that, by lectotypification, Wied's name has validly been made available.
Remsen 2003 (HBW 8).

AOU-SACC...
30. Synallaxis whitneyi/cinerea was formerly (e.g., Meyer de Schauensee 1970 <trace>) considered a junior synonym of S. ruficapilla. Pacheco and Gonzaga (1995) showed that this population merits species rank, which they named S. whitneyi. Whitney & Pacheco (2001) then showed that whitneyi was a synonym of cinerea. More recently, however, Stopiglia and Raposo (2006) proposed that whitneyi is indeed the correct name. SACC proposal passed to change back to S. whitneyi. For an opinion on this from Edward Dickinson, see: whitneyi.

Bahia Spinetail

SUMMARY.—Nomenclatural confusion in a complex of spinetails (Synallaxis spp.; Furnariidae) has arisen from early historical treatments in which new names were proposed for differing reasons. Following an historical evaluation and an examination of the rules of nomenclature we conclude that the name Synallaxis cinereus Wied, 1831, was proposed in such a manner as to immediately become a junior subjective synonym of Parulus ruficeps Spix, 1824 and that, by lectotypification, Wied's name has validly been made available.
I've not had the opportunity to read this paper yet, but would be interested to know if they discussed the validity of the wording of this lectotypification...?

(The Code (as amended by Declaration 44) requires:
74.7. Lectotype designations after 1999. To be valid, a lectotype designation made after 1999 must
74.7.1. employ the term "lectotype" or an exact translation (e.g. "lectotypus", but not "the type"),
74.7.2. contain information sufficient to ensure recognition of the specimen designated, and
74.7.3. contain an express statement of deliberate designation (merely citing a specimen as "lectotype" is insufficient).

Example: A statement such as "lectotype hereby designated", "lectotype by present designation", "I choose specimen X as lectotype" would fulfil this requirement, but "lectotype: specimen X" would not.
The wording used by Whitney & Pacheco (2001) was:
Wied's male number AMNH 6813, which is in better condition than the other male S. cinereus (AMNH 6812), will serve as the lectotype of Synallaxis cinereus.
To me, this seems at best borderline--I can't really be sure from this wording that they deliberately selected the specimen (thereby deliberately making the name a synonym of Synallaxis whitneyi), rather than simply concluded that this bird "had to serve as" the lectotype for reasons independent from their free will. The wording used in the Portuguese abstract would tend to support the latter view, I think:
O macho AMNH 6813, em melhores condições de conservação que os demais exemplares, deve ser designado como lectótipo de Synallaxis cinerea Wied, 1831.
"deve ser designado como lectótipo" = "must be designated as lectotype": this sounds like they are recommending something, or drawing a conclusion, not like they are actually acting.

(In fact, the entire note, down to its affirmative title ("Synallaxis whitneyi Pacheco and Gonzaga, 1995 is a synonym of Synallaxis cinerea Wied, 1831"), actually suggests that the authors' perception was not at all that they were acting according to their free will. All along, the perception seems to be (cf. also the SACC comment cited by Richard above) that they "showed that whitneyi was a synonym of cinerea". In practice, though, there was no such thing to show. The type series of cinerea was composite: the name had the potential to apply to any of the taxa represented in this series, depending on which specimen would be (deliberately) chosen to be the lectotype. Ideally, a lectotype designation should be done such as to minimize disruption--which here would arguably have been achieved by selecting a name-bearing type such that the name become a junior synonym. This, however, simply did not appear to be an option...))​

Unfortunately, "conclusions" may not be what is needed here; what we'd need is a lectotype designation that fulfills ICZN 74.7.3... ;)
If we don't have that, and under the interpretation that Wied's action was the description of a new species, not the introduction of a nomen novum replacing Spix' ruficeps, the ultimate fate of Wied's name remains open (i.e., unknowable).
J. F. Pacheco said:
However, Bauernfeind et al. (2014) considered such express intention in Wied�s text as not convincing. They interpreted Wied�s original text, contra Stopiglia & Raposo (2006), to indicate that Wied disliked the name because the epithet ruficeps (red-headed) did not truly characterize the taxon – and not for the reason that the species-group name had already been in use within the same genus (which it actually was not).
I've not actually read Bauernfeind et al (2014), so I may misinterpret things; if so, sorry about this. But could anybody with an access to the text explain what the relation (if any) is between the two statements in the above quote?

Wied 1831 was certainly explicit that he was dealing with a species already named by Spix, but "felt justified to modify the specific name" ("berichtiget geglaubt, den Trivialname abzuändern") proposed by Spix, because the name ruficeps did not in his opinion characterize the species adequately (and, if I understand him correctly, despite he disapproved Spix' habit not to adopt any name proposed by earlier workers). What I don't understand is that the above quote seems to suggest that, in some way, Stopiglia & Raposo's conclusion that the name is a nomen novum might appear less convincing "due to"(?) Wied's reason to propose this name not having been that ruficeps was preoccupied...?

(With thanks to Richard for a copy of Bauernfeind et al 2014.)
In fact the claim of replacement of a preoccupied name indeed comes from Stopiglia & Raposo 2006 [pdf], albeit in practice the claim is made fully positively only in the abstract, the main text being much more vague. This claim is certainly not tenable. Wied 1831 wrote:
Wied 1831 said:
Wenn ich auch gänzlich davon absehe, dass Spix den grossen Fehler beging, sich nirgends an die von andern gegebenen Benennungen zu binden, indem er bei keinem einzigen Thiere der übrigen Schriftsteller gedenkt, so habe ich mich hier selbst berechtiget geglaubt, den Trivialnamen abzuändern, indem die Benennung ruficeps auf mehrere dieser Vögel passt, daher zu verwerfen ist.
...which I'd read as saying more or less "While I also fully perceive that Spix commits the great error to adhere nowhere to appellations given by others, as for no single animal he remembers other authors, I have also here felt myself entitled to modify the species name, as the appellation ruficeps fits several of these birds, and therefore is to be rejected."

However, the following is not tenable either, I believe:
Bauernfeind et al 2014 said:
The name Synallaxis cinerea Wied, 1831, is thus not a new replacement name/nomen novum (and denoted by the type material as provided by Art. 72.7). In 1831, Parulus ruficeps Spix was not a homonymous species name. In fact Wied (1831) had proposed a new substitute name not required by the Code, thereby producing a junior subjective synonym denoted by its own type material according to the provisions of Art. 72.4.1 (contra Stopiglia & Raposo 2006).
This suggests that a name would have to be introduced for a reason "required by the Code" to be afforded the nomen novum status. This suggestion is clearly contradicted by Art.12.2.3 and 13.1.3, as these explicitly allow that a name (wording taken from 13.1.3) "be proposed expressly as a new replacement name (nomen novum) for an available name, whether required by any provision of the Code or not".

Unfortunately, there are cases where it is inherently difficult to decide whether a name was proposed "expressly enough" in replacement of an earlier name to make it a nomen novum, or not. If readers cannot agree on the issue, maybe this is one of them. (If so, and if stability is to be achieved, it would probably be preferable to work towards a solution that would admit both interpretations.)

(Wied's statement quoted above can certainly be read as making the name expressly proposed in replacement of Spix' ruficeps. For instance, if the same name had appeared in a nude list of Brazilian birds (without being explicitly applied to other specimens obtained by Wied in another locality), accompanied by exactly the same statement, there would certainly be no question about its status of nomen novum. On the other hand, if Wied had published exactly the same text but without changing the name (species account titled "S. ruficeps", the statement deleted, not a single other word changed), this text would be a (possibly misguided) subsequent use of Spix' name, not the introduction of an available homonym.)

Last edited:
Pale-breasted and Sooty-fronted Spinetails

Smith P., 2018. Azara's spinetails (Aves: Furnariidae). The identity of N°236 Chiclí and N°237 Cógogo. Bonn Zool. Bull. 67 (2): 171-174.

There

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back