• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown birds in Botswana and South Africa in June (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone
Can anyone help ID 3 birds for me?
The first 2 were taken on the 2 June (2014) in the Tuli block in Botswana.

The 3 was taken in the Waterberg area of South Africa on the 27 June(2012)

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the poor quality on photo3)

Taragon

Attachments

• tn_Tuli1.JPG
    tn_Tuli1.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 61
  • tn_Tuli2.JPG
    tn_Tuli2.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 58
  • tn_Tuli3.jpg
    tn_Tuli3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 66
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information CARERY
Once you point out the diagnostic white rump it made sense. I guess I was looking so hard at the front I forgot about the back.

Valéry Schollaert. Yes the Waterbery is an area in the Limpopo province of South African. I assume you meant White-throated Bee-eater. That is a very rare migrant in South Africa but the photo is so poor it could almost be an Elephant ;)

Thank you all for looking

Taragon

If in NE South Africa, it is rather Streaky-headed Seedeater (Crithagra gularis)

Agree

Waterberg is one of the 5 districts of Limpopo province of South Africa.

EDIT: I missed that the op gave the location already, sorry Taragon the Dragon and Raphael

Last edited:
I´ll blame Google for that: Waterberg Plateau National Park, Namibia
I'll crawl under my stone now 8-P:flyaway:

Once you have seen it in Namibia, you will never forget it! We havefriends that live below it too. There is a lovely walk that climbs up the Waterberg. A troop of baboons, moving faster than we were, over took us and at one point were all around us. An incredible experience, especially when one of the large male's called his troop together just a few meters away. They say the living on it is a constant battle to keep them from opening bins, or keeping them out of the accomodation. Windows shut at all times!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back