• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Benro travel tripod - head removal help (1 Viewer)

Allen

Hi

I have just bought 2nd hand a Benro A0685F tripod with ball head and want to remove the head; however I cannot figure out how to do so! I found some online instructions but still no luck. Picture attached; can anyone help?

Attachments

• Benro tripod head.docx
    508.3 KB · Views: 59
Doesn't the head just unscrew from the top of the central column? It might be a bit stiff but otherwise I think it should just unscrew.

I also thought that but whilst there seems to be some rotation with force, it just seems to rotate and not actually unscrew

On closer inspection against the instructions, I think that the problem is gripping the bevelled edge of the head which is actually where it screws to the column, the rotation I am getting is just the head itself turning with my pressure v the grub screw that tightens it. So I can now see what I need to actually grip but can't get a hold of it!

Making sure the grubs screws are backed off and the column with head attached has been removed from the tripod.

Sit down and hold the head, with pan lock fully tight, between your knees, tightly.
Grab the column with both hands and twist hard and fast. Counter clockwise, of course. The quick motion helps.

Wet and towel dry your hands just before doing this and the slight moisture in the skin will help you gain traction.

Making sure the grubs screws are backed off and the column with head attached has been removed from the tripod.

Sit down and hold the head, with pan lock fully tight, between your knees, tightly.
Grab the column with both hands and twist hard and fast. Counter clockwise, of course. The quick motion helps.

Wet and towel dry your hands just before doing this and the slight moisture in the skin will help you gain traction.

... or grip as described above with the panning arm horizontal & pan & tilt controls tightly locked, rap the panning arm sharply (but not too hard) against the thread, with a suitably hard object/implement ;). May take a couple of raps but it usually does the trick.

Edit: Ignore the above; just noticed its a ball head, doh!

RB

Thanks all, there are no grub screws on this model and having tried various ways it seems that the head is integral to the tripod centre column. However I'll be visiting a tripod shop in July so will get their expert opinion on whether I'm missing a trick somewhere!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back