• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return migration already!! (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Birder

Seems like the first returning migrants are heading back south. A few Red-necked Phalaropes going thru'. The first returning Spotted Redshank went thru' Cheshire this week.

CB

Seems like the first returning migrants are heading back south. A few Red-necked Phalaropes going thru'. The first returning Spotted Redshank went thru' Cheshire this week.
CB

Excellent! Our nightingales have stopped singing, so I was afraid we will have just a few species to show to kids when we have that birding trip in early July. I hope some of the shorebirds will grace our shorebanks as well.

That tringa is curious. Here in the Midwest US, along the Mississippi flyway, Solitary Sandpipers are one of first seen returning southward. Currently, it's more a question of prevailing weather conditions, versus time. In two weeks, we should be seeing Solitary Sandpipers frequently. Last year, one showing up at the end of the first week of June, at a local patch.

A state biologist explaining they "may be" younger birds, that perhaps didn't go as far as the northern breeding grounds. Not having established a pair bond, they wander around for a bit, and then follow the river bottom back south. Seeing the Redshank mentioned above, has the mind racing with questions.

The RN Phals mentioned in the op are more likely late spring migrants surely?

Plenty of autumn happening though. Flocks of Lapwings (140 locally last week) as well as odd Green Sandpipers, a newly arrived male Wigeon at Rutland Water yesterday, along with 19 Teal that have come from somewhere a long way away, and also two adult Common Gulls joining the scruffy first-summers.

Steve

Stuff is definitely moving south here on the north coast of the Okhotsk Sea. I've picked up Spotted Redshank, Eur. Whimbrel, Red Knot and Red-necked Stint ( all breed further north ) in the last few days. The only Red-necked Phalarope are males on eggs / with young, the females having gone before I got here.

That tringa is curious. Here in the Midwest US, along the Mississippi flyway, Solitary Sandpipers are one of first seen returning southward. Currently, it's more a question of prevailing weather conditions, versus time. In two weeks, we should be seeing Solitary Sandpipers frequently. Last year, one showing up at the end of the first week of June, at a local patch.

A state biologist explaining they "may be" younger birds, that perhaps didn't go as far as the northern breeding grounds. Not having established a pair bond, they wander around for a bit, and then follow the river bottom back south. Seeing the Redshank mentioned above, has the mind racing with questions.

Hi Bill
I wonder if the solitary sands are females. It is thought that the early returning Green sands are breeding females, that have left the males to bring up the kids. At present we have 4 Green sands at my local patch Upton Warren in worcestershire. By the end of August we usually get 20ish, this has been the case for the last 30+ years. Thus, its a regular occurrence rather than an incidental thing. :t:John

Hi Bill
I wonder if the solitary sands are females. It is thought that the early returning Green sands are breeding females, that have left the males to bring up the kids. At present we have 4 Green sands at my local patch Upton Warren in worcestershire. By the end of August we usually get 20ish, this has been the case for the last 30+ years. Thus, its a regular occurrence rather than an incidental thing. :t:John

Hi John,
I can only come up with more questions. Can same be assumed for Phalaropes?
The Solitary, a bit different from other shorebirds in nesting off the ground, and reusing various passerines nest. Some such as those of Rusty Blackbirds, Jays, American Robins. Both sexes incubating. I assume both continuing to feed nestlings further on. My favorite patch is inaccessible due high water currently, so I'm getting 'antsy' for that to drop, and see what's coming down the flyway.

Last two days, have experienced more male Ruby-throated hummers visiting the feeders. Likely to be males that have bred, and are gradually dispersing, prior to returning south. Orioles here are fledging and a few beginning to molt. Both somewhat, the "hand writing on the wall"

Last edited:
Hi Bill

As far as i'm aware Green Sandpipers don't do the same as Phalaropes (i.e. where the male is the sole incubator of the eggs). These early returning birds are most likely inexperienced birds (i.e. last years young) trying to breed but being unsuccessful. Another alternative is that they are males who were not able to find a partner.

CB

. Can same be assumed for Phalaropes?
Rachel Carson wrote exactly the same thing about phalaropes in her second marine wildlife book (can't recall the name, the one with Arctic birds, mackerel and eel). First the female departed after she laid eggs and the male remained incubating, then some time after chicks were hatched he left as well, and at one point three young phalaropes were spinning in a small lake without any adults in sight, and then they went southward as well.

Rachel Carson wrote exactly the same thing about phalaropes in her second marine wildlife book (can't recall the name, the one with Arctic birds, mackerel and eel). First the female departed after she laid eggs and the male remained incubating, then some time after chicks were hatched he left as well, and at one point three young phalaropes were spinning in a small lake without any adults in sight, and then they went southward as well.

Thank you, Zheljko
Profound few words, to conjure a view of, in the minds eye.
know I'll be out shortly, thinking on that.

Hi Bill
BWP on Green Sandpiper:
"Young cared for by both parents at first; ♀ may leave before fledging"

I'd think it's a bit early for even females to be leaving dependent young yet, Green Sands in England now are much more likely to be failed breeders (of either sex) or first-summers that haven't attempted to breed.

And just to show summer isn't over yet, two newly arrived Grasshopper Warblers on my local patch, singing strongly well away from where any had been singing back in late April. So there's still birds moving north, as well as others already going back south.

And just to show summer isn't over yet, two newly arrived Grasshopper Warblers on my local patch, singing strongly well away from where any had been singing back in late April. So there's still birds moving north, as well as others already going back south.

I've noticed groppers singing in areas well away from spring breeeding sites at this time of year. I'm not convinced these are migrants, I think they may be unpaired males that have dispersed to new areas in the hopes of attracting a mate. Perhaps some ringers can shed some light on birds trapped at this time of year?

CB

I've noticed groppers singing in areas well away from spring breeeding sites at this time of year. I'm not convinced these are migrants, I think they may be unpaired males that have dispersed to new areas in the hopes of attracting a mate. Perhaps some ringers can shed some light on birds trapped at this time of year?

CB
An option I guess. I know though that new arrivals in the manner I suggested are proven for Reed Warbler* (sorry, can't remember for sure where I read it, I think probably BTO News a few years ago) so I'd not be surprised if the same applies to Groppers. Could be perhaps first-summers, coming in to get a first brood off at the same time as established pairs are starting a second brood. Yep, it would be interesting to hear from ringing recoveries.

* On which topic, I've had several Reed Warblers new in at various local sites from early to late June, where there hadn't been any through May.

A few adult Black-headed Gulls have appeared local to me since 18th June - presumably failed breeders...there have been 1st summer birds summering here.

Last Saturday at my local patch, here in London, we had a family group of 2 adult and 2 juvenile Little Ringed Plover drop in for a day. Presumably these were returning birds. Our own resident pair are only just on eggs. We've also had numerous reports of single Green Sandpipers (probably relating to one lingering individual) for about a week. Also increasing numbers of both male and female Teal and Shoveler.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back