• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone identify these binoculars (1 Viewer)

reaktor24

Just wondering what Chris Packham is using on the recently aired series of Springwatch. Thanks.

Steve

Attachments

• chris_packham_binoculars.jpg
    chris_packham_binoculars.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 284
Hi David. Yes I think you're right. Seem quite cheap at £200. Anyone know if they're any good?

The SV is Kowa's 3rd tier range, but not bad for the money. The view is a bit narrow, and it's a bit plasticy, but it is light, and as I remember, the 8x42 I tried was sharp and quite fun to use. It's rather different from the Canon IS he's used in recent programs.

David

I love the fact that he hasn't joined the presenter herd with a pair of ELs hanging round his neck. We are all obsessed with the nth degree of minutiae in a view. He knows that in the real World it doesn't matter 👍

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I can't say I've traced Chris Packham's binocular ownership, but I believe members have mentioned his use of Nikons and Zeiss binoculars at one time or another. A couple of years ago he spoke out aginst optics companies involved in the hunting industry, and indeed the RSPB for selling their equipment. He reported he'd sold his old cameras and optics from various 'tainted' companies and had switched to Canon instead. I don't know where Kowa stands on the hunting issue.

David

I can't say I've traced Chris Packham's binocular ownership, but I believe members have mentioned his use of Nikons and Zeiss binoculars at one time or another. A couple of years ago he spoke out aginst optics companies involved in the hunting industry, and indeed the RSPB for selling their equipment. He reported he'd sold his old cameras and optics from various 'tainted' companies and had switched to Canon instead. I don't know where Kowa stands on the hunting issue.

David

Well, the US experience has been that hunters are by far the most effective conservationists. Their fees are earmarked towards protecting both the habitat and the species with extensive land purchases and careful monitoring of breeding success.
The UK experience is clearly different, with the dependence on mass shoots of quasi farm raised birds, but that does not alter the reality that hunters will support conservation much more vigorously than birders. Shooters don't care, they just want an environment in which they can shoot.
Imho, a nature lover such as Mr. Packham would advance his causes much more effectively by building bridges to the hunting fraternity than by virtue signaling with his binocular choices.

It was impressed when he was toting the Canon... Image Stabilisation is a little appreciated technology. I wondered what he’d swapped them for. I tend to use old Porro binoculars as I appreciate the very wide fields of view (until my deteriorate and I need to wear glasses).

PEter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back