• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First-winter Larus, Chiayi County, Taiwan: Mongolian or not? (1 Viewer)

SteveMM

This highly distinctive (and very large) first-winter gull arrived here at least a month ago pretty much 'as is'.

I've oscillated between Mongolian and Taimyr Gull for it, but did settle on the former based on replaced (so, early) whitish scapulars (which also show some signs of wear) contrasting with much older and slightly worn/faded brownish wing (in which nothing replaced).

However, I'm now swinging back towards Taimyr Gull for it based on unpatterned greater coverts (throughout) and weak window on the inner primaries (though there are pale spots near the tips).

As there are a few other things wrong with it for Taimyr Gull, this is one that is not fitting conveniently into category. Any help with it or comments would be much appreciated!

Steve

Attachments

• Unknown Gull (09) - Copy.jpg
    Unknown Gull (09) - Copy.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Unknown Gull (03) - Copy.jpg
    Unknown Gull (03) - Copy.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Unknown Gull (04) - Copy.jpg
    Unknown Gull (04) - Copy.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Unknown Gull (06) - Copy.jpg
    Unknown Gull (06) - Copy.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Unknown Gull (08) - Copy.jpg
    Unknown Gull (08) - Copy.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 30
i'd share exactly your thoughts on this bird: it appears to be a mongolicus on large size, tail pattern, early replaced scaps and wear but the unpatterned GC row appears to be unusual. not sure if the yellow bill base is a hint towards either. anyhow, my gut feeling says mongolian gull. cachinnans-like tertial pattern (moonlike crescents) is also sth. i've not yet seen in taimyrensis.

Hi Steve!

Trouble, trouble! (?) On a first look at the time given, they surely look like mongolicus. However, there´s something not right, for instance, not only the greater covert pattern but also the inner primary pattern, which both would be better off on a taimyrensis, the only bad thing about taimyrensis is the advanced moult and wear!

Take a look at these mongolicus by Chris Gibbins from Korea at approx the same time of year, hope you can see these Steve:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...67876138293.1073741831.100011452496541&type=3

I have attached two pic of a gull from inner Mongolia on the breeding location of mongolicus and this one looks like the one... but notice the inner primaries and greater coverts

JanJ

JanJ

Attachments

• QQ??20150815201746.jpg
    QQ??20150815201746.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 28
  • QQ??20150815201751.jpg
    QQ??20150815201751.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 37
i'd share exactly your thoughts on this bird: it appears to be a mongolicus on large size, tail pattern, early replaced scaps and wear but the unpatterned GC row appears to be unusual. not sure if the yellow bill base is a hint towards either. anyhow, my gut feeling says mongolian gull. cachinnans-like tertial pattern (moonlike crescents) is also sth. i've not yet seen in taimyrensis.

Thanks, Lou.

Yes, tail pattern is another thing that seems to better fit Mongolian. I also think wing shape is not like Taimyr Gull, either, with that very broad arm and short triangular hand.

I just don't know what should take precedence here - the greater covert/inner primary pattern (not Mongolian) or, quite literally, everything else (all Mongolian)!

Steve

Hi Steve!

Trouble, trouble! (?) On a first look at the time given, they surely look like mongolicus. However, there´s something not right, for instance, not only the greater covert pattern but also the inner primary pattern, which both would be better off on a taimyrensis, the only bad thing about taimyrensis is the advanced moult and wear!

Take a look at these mongolicus by Chris Gibbins from Korea at approx the same time of year, hope you can see these Steve:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...67876138293.1073741831.100011452496541&type=3

I have attached two pic of a gull from inner Mongolia on the breeding location of mongolicus and this one looks like the one... but notice the inner primaries and greater coverts

JanJ

JanJ

Thanks for the response, Jan. Not entirely sure from it which side of the fence it puts you on, though! Are you saying you favour Taimyr Gull?

Steve

Just for illustrative purposes (and to illustrate Jan's point)...

On Mongolian Gull, the pattern on the inner primaries is typically striking, with pale of the inner webs extending onto the outer webs, leaving isolated black 'arrowhead' markings at the tip. You can see this on the right-hand bird in the composite.

On Taimyr Gull, the outer webs are dark (somtimes with faint pale 'lozenges' in their centres distally), much as in the left-hand bird. The left-hand bird is, unfortunately, the 'problem' bird!

Should this (plus the dark greater coverts) carry more weight than structure, tail pattern, and (above all else) timing of moult when identifying this bird? This bird did arrive looking like this in early December!

Steve

Attachments

• Mongolian Gulls.jpg
    Mongolian Gulls.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 41
Sorry Steve, being over cautious. Your bird should be mongolicus. 😉 Good pic!

JanJ

Thanks again, Jan!

I could have easily been convinced either way with this bird, but with two votes in for Mongolian Gull I'll stick with that one I think!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back