• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera trap delights (1 Viewer)

Finally got a camera working at the badger set, the boar cam is still broken.

Mark

Attachments

• cam1.jpg
    cam1.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 170
  • cam2.jpg
    cam2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 172
  • cam3.jpg
    cam3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 169
Tested it today in the warm and it worked fine so I'll be ordering the rechargeables.

As far as rechargeable batteries go:

Ni-Cd batteries have a recommended minimum temperature of 17º C (62º F).

Ni-MH have a recommended minimum temperature of 0º C (32º F), and will probably perform similarly to alkaline batteries.

I use Lithium batteries in anything that is going to see use in cold weather. They will work down to -40º C (-40º F), and at -20º C (-5º F) their service life is only reduced by 20%.

Lithium batteries are more expensive than alkaline batteries, but that is partially offset by longer life.

Mike

Having seen some of the pictures on this forum I decided to purchase a camera trap and am so pleased I did. It's great fun, the anticipation waiting to see if it has been triggered. Here are some pictures that have been taken so far:

Attachments

• Bushnell 012-2.JPG
    Bushnell 012-2.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 180
  • Bushnell 033-2.JPG
    Bushnell 033-2.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Bushnell 041-2.JPG
    Bushnell 041-2.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Bushnell 070-2.JPG
    Bushnell 070-2.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Fox.jpg
    Fox.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Steefo = what trap have you purchased - anything you would change on it?

Hey I have the Bushnell XLT 119455C 8MP Trophy Game Trail Camera. So far I think it has been great, both the picture and video quality are excellent (will shortly put some videos on youtube). I wouldn't change anything on it but I have learnt there are certain things you can do to improve it such as lithium batteries instead of alkaline (they work at lower temperatures and last longer). I only have experience with this camera but would certainly recommend it. The colour screen might not be necessary but certainly helpful to see where you are aiming it before you leave. I purchased it off ebay from US and it worked out much cheaper than buying from UK even with customs.

How much do camera traps roughly cost?

The price can vary a lot I found depending on the quality of the camera. I purchased mine for £120 but then had a bit of shipping and customs to pay. It was certainly much cheaper than buying from a UK website. I don't know about other camera traps but it is certainly a good idea to do some research before hand. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
One camera is working finally a few pics from it from this week

Mark

Attachments

• tc10.jpg
    tc10.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 143
  • tc2.jpg
    tc2.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 131
  • tc9.jpg
    tc9.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 151
  • tc8.jpg
    tc8.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 163
A few from last week

Mark

Attachments

• rabb.jpg
    rabb.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 136
  • tc11.jpg
    tc11.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 160
  • tc14.jpg
    tc14.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 129
I've had my bushnell camera trap since January, but as I also got a new baby at the same time, I've only just got round to giving it a try. I had it in a native pinewood from 6th April until 14th April, and it was only triggered three times in the 8 days. One of these was at night but nothing (as far as I can see) was captured. The other two occasions were in the evening and both involved Roe Deer.

The flash reflection on the night-time shot suggested that I had put the camera too close to the target area, so today I have moved the trap to a new location in the same wood. This is on a game trail that had some probable pine marten scat on it, so we'll see what I find next week.

I've been really pleased with the battery life (perhaps because it has taken so few pictures!). I invested in some energiser lithium batteries, which are expensive (over £7 for a full set of 8), but after a week, the battery charge indicator is still showing full.

Attachments

• Roe1.JPG
    Roe1.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Roe2.JPG
    Roe2.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 197
  • mystery.JPG
    mystery.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 206
I've had my bushnell camera trap since January, but as I also got a new baby at the same time, I've only just got round to giving it a try. I had it in a native pinewood from 6th April until 14th April, and it was only triggered three times in the 8 days. One of these was at night but nothing (as far as I can see) was captured. The other two occasions were in the evening and both involved Roe Deer.

I get some at night that don't show anything. Sometimes if I look hard I can see a vole/mouse but other times nothing. It could be an owl flying past or maybe a mammal moving too quickly to get caught by the camera.

The flash reflection on the night-time shot suggested that I had put the camera too close to the target area, so today I have moved the trap to a new location in the same wood. This is on a game trail that had some probable pine marten scat on it, so we'll see what I find next week.

I find positioning the camera one of the hardest things to get right. Hope you get a pine marten with the camera in a new position.

I've been really pleased with the battery life (perhaps because it has taken so few pictures!). I invested in some energiser lithium batteries, which are expensive (over £7 for a full set of 8), but after a week, the battery charge indicator is still showing full.

It's the freezing weather that seems to run the batteries down quickly. Last summer my ordinary batteries were lasting about 3 months. Most of the time mine are set to take pics rather than video. I think video may use more juice.

TS

I really like the shot with the two fox and a badger all together.

Have you managed to find out what is wrong with the other camera?

TS

Not really but I have finally got it working, I keep getting errors and it will not do anything.

The third camera I have just bought so is mine (the others have been lent to me) is just going into my garden to get it setup so hopefull some photos from that in a few days

I have a couple of fox photos to upload later

Mark

Not really but I have finally got it working, I keep getting errors and it will not do anything.

The third camera I have just bought so is mine (the others have been lent to me) is just going into my garden to get it setup so hopefull some photos from that in a few days

I have a couple of fox photos to upload later

Mark

Annoying but at least it's on loan. I hope you don't have any problems with your own camera.

TS

Finally got a couple of reasonable pics of Pine Marten.

Attachments

• Pine Marten 1.JPG
    Pine Marten 1.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Pine Marten 2.JPG
    Pine Marten 2.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 245
Excellent - I'm very jealous.

So far the best I've managed is six Red Deer backsides!

Thanks, I was well chuffed.

I love the one of the line of deer, the quality and colour of the capture is really good.

Red Deer is something I haven't got yet and I'm not likely to where the camera is at the moment. Will need to ask for permission to put the camera in an area where they would be and I'm not sure it would be granted.

TS

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back