• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The P1000 is big (1 Viewer)

It is a monster!

I compared it to my set-up, the Panasonic G80 + 100-400mm. See here: http://j.mp/2LyUUHq and here (front view): http://j.mp/2JADSXC

Size is quite comparable and the weight is almost identical. Although pricy, the P1000 is still a good bit cheaper as the Panasonic set-up (and even more as e.g. the Oly 300 mm)

So with no major difference in size and weight, I wonder what is better for birds:
- small sensor (1/2.3", 28.5 mm2 area) and insane reach (3000 mm)
- larger sensor and (m43, 225 mm2 area) and huge reach (800 mm)

With the P1000 you can probably always zoom in all the way on the bird, without need for croping later, while with the G80 some cropping is usually needed. Not sure what that means for image quality, but I can imagine it is relatively close in both concepts.

So main issues in practice are probably the handling (how well does it work with this insane zoom, is it really possible to zoom in that much on a little moving bird?) and AF performance.

snip
So main issues in practice are probably the handling (how well does it work with this insane zoom, is it really possible to zoom in that much on a little moving bird?) and AF performance.

I would say AF performance and noise/image quality. With 3000 mm equivalent it would be very, very difficult to handhold without shake and even on a tripod, image degradation of distant objects would still be an issue (solution: shoot many images and hope that the air is still between camera and object on one of them? )

Niels

[...] hope that the air is still between camera and object on one of them?

:t:
Yes - it's astonishing how much change there can be between images, when I try to focus (manually) on a wader in a distance of 150m. If the P1000 offers first-class image stabilisation, wetland experts might leave their scopes at home.

Took the plunge and ordered mine today. Looking forward to using as a scope |:d| the new remote will be very handy for videoing from a tripod. don't expect t have much trouble holding steady, I get on fine with the 900 and maybe the extra weight will make it more stable??

next 6 weeks is going to go very slowly

Den

Last edited:
Holy cow that is huge.

I mean I know alot of folks like me have been waiting for the mythical SX70 but if the result is getting heavy and huge, then I may just stay put with the SX60 if it's successor ends up like the P1000.

And yeah, I know...bigger sensors = bigger glass = bigger camera = more weight. The P1000 just kinda puts it all into a self-evident visual. |8.|

Still, even I can't wait to see the real-world tests and reviews start rolling in...it has me curious.

:t:
Yes - it's astonishing how much change there can be between images, when I try to focus (manually) on a wader in a distance of 150m.
Oh my yes. I always have burst mode turned-on with the SX60. Burst, release, burst, release. Even tiny changes of distance or air quality can make a huge difference. My top two distances for a bird in flight (autofocus, handheld) are 100m and 180m with the SX60, so alot is possible with a little luck.

But wow...3000mm is twice what the SX60 can do. I can do the 1350mm handheld, even with the digital zoom or digital teledapter. But I imagine at 3000mm (or farther away with all the digital help) you'll need a tripod.

Again, curious though!

Holy cow that is huge.

Still, even I can't wait to see the real-world tests and reviews start rolling in...it has me curious.

My question exactly as well.
One wants a travel camera to be handy enough to take casual snapshots easily, but one primarily wants to get decent shots of the birds.
This beast may be just too much for casual shooting--waving it around in a travel van looks hazardous and it probably takes its own time to get started. Even so, if it performs at the long end, that 3000mm equivalent lens not only offers extraordinary photo and video capabilities, but would approximate a 60x stabilized scope as well. That seems like a pretty compelling package at $1000 and three pounds.

I wonder how fast is focusing in this camera - is it good enough for birds in flight ? All released films abit the camera I have seen focus on distant, stationary objects

Nearly the 6th Sept :) Should be the same as the P900 for focus speed etc, but with a larger EVF it should be easier to pick up birds in flight. As for quality of pics, I still have my P900 so will be doing direct comparison shots from tripods and using remotes. and then some handheld at distant objects, all at same time same place.

Not really expecting much difference.............unless...............that increase in lens diameter lets in more light and increases detail!

Den

Last edited:
Nikon has also announced a dot sight (~200 Euro). Should be useful for extreme teles like the P1000, but also Nikon DSLR. It's mounted on the flash hotshoe. I am aware there exist other, non-Nikon dot sights, but it will be interesting to see if Nikon's version is better.

The P1000 itself already looks massive, an added dot sight may be too much for civilized city use?! Of course we still have reservations as a playground.

Thank you! I see this is significantly cheaper, but doesn't sit on the hotshoe and weighs 220g. The Olympus EE-1 dot sight weighs 72g, costs ~100 Euro. I think most customers would prefer a hotshoe device, as many own several cameras and would like to swap it swiftly from one camera to the other.

I am presently interested in similar solutions, not necessarily in connection with a P1000. Strictly hotshoe-bound. I see the Oly EE-1 can be used on a Nikon DSLR. I guess it will be the same with the Nikon dot sight, probably there is no electronic communication with the camera involved.

Last edited:
Thank you! I see this is significantly cheaper, but doesn't sit on the hotshoe and weighs 220g. The Olympus EE-1 dot sight weighs 72g, costs ~100 Euro. I think most customers would prefer a hotshoe device, as many own several cameras and would like to swap it swiftly from one camera to the other.

I am presently interested in similar solutions, not necessarily in connection with a P1000. Strictly hotshoe-bound. I see the Oly EE-1 can be used on a Nikon DSLR. I guess it will be the same with the Nikon dot sight, probably there is no electronic communication with the camera involved.

It does hot shoe mount

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 66
Hi,

I am presently interested in similar solutions, not necessarily in connection with a P1000. Strictly hotshoe-bound.

Here's a 3D printable solution:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2820304

I use it with a sight similar to the one linked by Nikonmike.

The foward position of the mounting rail, compared to Nikonmike's example, has the advantage of the sight being out of the way when you decide to use the standard viewfinder eyepiece.

With regard to the Nikon sight, it has two colours for the reticle as well as different styles. That's more of an advantage than one might think at first since the green colour is much easier to pick up against a bright background than red, and switching to a reticle with larger illuminated area also helps.

(This is based on the experience with my cheap sight, which also features two colours and selectable reticles. I haven't tried the Olympus EE-1, but my brother bought one for his Nikon DSLR rig and is happy with it, though he uses it only for a few specific applications.)

Regards,

Henning

Many thanks, Mike and Henning. So we have options, and Nikon's dot sight could be even better. - But if the P1000 is anything like my SX50, with a smooth zoom in/out assist button, a dot sight would not be a must.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back