• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Tern (Honolulu) (1 Viewer)

pigmode

By my seat of the pants impression, the urban population of White Tern in Honolulu has grown significantly in the last 20yr. I was recently paddling outside Honolulu, when there were numerous sightings of medium-small flying fish moving towards shore.

At the same time there were more than average numbers of White Tern hunting the same area. They usually fly in pairs and hunt in the same manner, often taking prey right at the surface of the water. This opens the question of whether the Tern and Flying Fish were chasing the same prey.

Paddle profile that day. Starting point to first turn outside Diamond Head is 3mi. Prevailing wind direction is NE, 20ยบ left of the last leg back to the harbor.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums...017-03-21 at 10.15.53 AM copy_zpsvcjjwoff.png

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back