• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member Introduction (1 Viewer)

Mike McDowell

Greetings all:

I was directed here from Birdpix.com on account of its admin planning on shutting his site down. Seems like there is quite a bit to become familiar with on this site, but I like what I've seen so far.

I'm going on my second year of digiscoping. I use the Swarovski AT80 HD and the Nikon Coolpix 995. You can visit my website at the URL below. I'm also a bird watcher (birder!) and have traveled to many parts of the United States in pursuit of birds, and adventure.

I'll let you know upfront that I work for Eagle Optics, but I will be impartial with regard to any equipment recommendations, experiences, field testing, etc. Just let me know if you think I've crossed the line.

I'll do my best!

Thanks,

Mike McDowell

http://www.mailbag.com/users/maverick/

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Spooky or what ! A friend just sent me a link to your site yesterday so I had a good look around it then. I can see that you may be getting touched for a bit of advice on digiscoping as you have some outstanding photos on your website.
In the last week I have just embarked on digiscoping myself though using the Kowa 823 and Nkon 4500. I have been amazed at the quality of results that can be obtained.
I appreciate your comments about your employer, but as you say I think members are interested in what products are available and what are the best.
I think it's fair to say that we all enjoy our birding on here and enjoy sharing our experiences. I hope that you get to derive as much pleasure from the site as the rest of us.

See you around.

Welcome Mike,
Uncanny, just sent an email to Eagle Eye Optics, I assume this is the same as your firm. I asked if the Fuji Finepix2800 Zoom can be attached to a scope if you have a connector.
Glad you like this forum and there are plenty of quality pictures although mine sadly don't fall into that bracket. Hope to see some of your pics around.

Andrew

Welcome Mike

I echo Ians last two paragraphs. You should most certainly enjoy this forum and I think that the forum could possibly benefit from you being here. After all we can't have too many experts here can we.

They are all a friendly bunch here and there is a wide cross section of amateurs and experts alike.

I have yet to check out your web site but I will certainly be doing that later on tonight after we have come back from shopping. By all accounts I am in for a treat.

Hi Mike,
Great to see you on BF, I've been admiring your shots for several months now... certainly some of the best digiscoped images on the web.
Hopefully we will be incorperating some of the features from birdpix.com on here in the near future.
Regards,
Andy

Hi Mike,
Welcome.
Just had a quick look at your site and Wow, outstanding, stunning pictures. How do you do it. I loved the one of the Long eared owl, How did you get the light just so for the shot? Magnificent.

Welcombe Mike
Just had a look at your site amazing shots . everybody here is friendly as iam sure youll find out and as JohnJ said we cant have to many experts

Brilliant website. What a fabulous little bird the Blackburnian Warbler is. A new favourite.

My dad is an amateur astronomer so will pass the link on for your Astrophotography.

Cheers:t:

Mike

I'm back from shopping and that treat I promised myself did materialise. That is to give your web site a look over. Breathtaking is all I can say. I especially liked the shot of the American Redstart. The expression on that birds face is tremendous.

This site is an excellent addition to this forum. I look forward to more photo's from you.

Paula,

The Long-eared Owl image was as tricky as it was an ethical dilemma. I knew I had a roost and didn't want to disturb any of the owls (total of five). I circled the grove of trees for any chance of them being viewable from the perimeter. Luckily, that particular bird's face was caught in the sunlight. Of course, proper exposure took a few attempts to figure out on account of how bright the bird was versus the background (almost totally black) and the foreground being very dark green in most areas (some sunlit branches, though). In any event, the owl seemed not to mind me taking a dozen of images, then leaving the scene.

I don't often run into owls in the wild. They are among my favorite bird species, but yet from everything I've read about them -- birders can love them to the degree of having them abandon a roost, or even causing their death...I've heard stories.

I'm not suggesting that those who have captured magnificent images of owls are in the wrong by implication -- we can all benefit from a lucky clearing and view. I probably could have flushed this particular owl for a better photograph, but...I would always have that nasty memory associated with the photograph. In my view, the welfare of the bird comes first over me obtaining a "good shot" of one.

Thanks to everyone who has given great feedback on my web site! Digiscoping, as you all know, is a great tool for birders for documenting their adventures. It is so much fun.

Interestingly enough, I recently received feedback from a professional natural history photo-journalist who had this to say: "While your photographs show what birds look like, they do not show what birds are doing." I guess I agree as I've always been interested in bird portraits and not so much documenting their behavior. I'd say most of the digiscoping I've seen here, the various yahoo forums and personal websites, this seems to be the case. It isn't that it can't be done with digiscoping, I just wonder if the majority of digiscopers are also birders and...portraiture is just what we want out of it. And also, perhaps our ethics as birders slant what we capture.

Heh. I'm rambling.

Regards,

Mike McDowell

Hello Mike and welcome! Your photos are extraordinary. Someday and hopefully sooner than later I hope to get into digiscoping. I am already gleaning a wealth of information on the subject from this forum.
I applaud your ethics when it comes to birding without harming or annoying the birds.

Last edited:
Mike it is super to see you here. I have had your site bookmarked for some time now; thanks to Yves in Quebec .. he suggested I take a look. I am pleased to also see Ms Cook's photos linked to your site... all in all a wonderful site and your photographs are brilliant. Welcome aboard!:t:

Hi Mike, Just had a look at your site, great pictures, I cant wait to have a go at this myself (still saving for the camera at the moment).

Cheers
Paul

yellow birds

Mike, do you have an abundance of yellow birds or do you just perfer photographing yellow. Your website is filled with beautiful photos. Look forward to seeing more of your photos. Can't imagine you would "cross the line" if your website is any example of your work.

Absolutely wondrous stuff. Very glad you could join us. What we need is a Transatlantic master class in digiscoping involving you and Andy Bright!

Wandalf,

Yellow birds...warblers are my favorites! Pheasant Branch Conservancy, near my home, is a wonderful location to watch and photograph migrating warblers.

The little multi-colored sprites zoom up and down the stream corridor -- difficult to digiscope, but when we get a cold-snap in May (we always seem to!), the warblers forage closer to the ground, providing a better chance at capturing them in an image.

If you notice, most of the warblers on my web site were all taken on the same day in May. The temperature dipped into the 30's (fahrenheit) and the poor little birds had difficulty finding insects up in the tree-tops. I recall on this day there were 25 warbler species within a 50 yard stretch along the stream bank. I tried to digiscope as many of them as I could!

Mike McDowell

<I recall on this day there were 25 warbler species within a 50 yard stretch along the stream bank.>

Jeez, you hit pay dirt that day. I can't imagine that many different species of any birds contained within that distance, never mind just warblers.

Mike, your pictures made me start looking on Ebay for the Swarovski scope and a Coolpix 995! Anybody have $2000 to loan me?! I know digiscoping isn't as simple as having the equipment, so kudos to you for these great shots. Welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Alicia

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back