• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New creature!! (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Hi all,
I've just been reading about the discovery of a new sea creature found in the South Pacific at an incredible depth of over 7,500 feet!!!!
It is a hairy lobster like creature nick-named the Yeti Crab.
Isn't it amazing that man is still discovering unknown species like this?
Maybe there is still hope for our planet as we haven't destroyed all environments....yet anyway!
More info here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4785482.stm
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth

Yes tis good and exciting that new discoverys can still be made. A new bird species was found recently in, I think, Papua N Guinea. I guess there is much to to find. The sad side of the coin is I suspect much becomes extinct without us ever realising it exsisted. I do think we need to try and remain positive about the planet though, or else we might as well all pack in!

Cheers

I like new discoveries but I am not surprised.Not many people go down that far.I spent a lot of time swimming in the shallower waters of a coral lagoon in the indian ocean ( cocos keeling islands)and it was indescribably wonderful even to a 20yr. old.These things are now on television but they have lived in my memory for many decades anyway.One of the greatest memories of my life at the expenseof the M.O.D bless 'em.
maurice aka fishface

Hah, it looks just like a yeti !! That bit of the ocean is a little scary...it would be pitch black. There are loads and loads of new creatures to be discovered though, but like Brian said we probably, and I think have already, won't find them in time.

There's been a few new discoveries lately, this hairy lobster, Calayan Rail, and that mystery vivereid in Borneo. I think its great. I've always wanted to be an explorer, but i thought there wasn't much left to explore. Maybe there still is some undiscovered creatures out there for me to find!! ;-)

chris3871 said:
There's been a few new discoveries lately, this hairy lobster, Calayan Rail, and that mystery vivereid in Borneo. I think its great. I've always wanted to be an explorer, but i thought there wasn't much left to explore. Maybe there still is some undiscovered creatures out there for me to find!! ;-)

Hi chris,

good luck in becoming an explorer, appart from money needed to get to the area your going to explore, and for suppies, it shouldnt be too dificult for you.

For now, keep exploring the british countryside.

ANT

mauricek said:
I like new discoveries but I am not surprised.Not many people go down that far.I spent a lot of time swimming in the shallower waters of a coral lagoon in the indian ocean ( cocos keeling islands)and it was indescribably wonderful even to a 20yr. old.These things are now on television but they have lived in my memory for many decades anyway.One of the greatest memories of my life at the expenseof the M.O.D bless 'em.
maurice aka fishface

Sounds interesting Maurice.(even I can't bring myself to call you fishface 3:) ) Me thinks you could tell us some interesting tales! Guessed that when you mentioned that you had dengue fever in the past.(another thread folks) My grandfather suffered recurring bouts of malaria I understand, having served in the Merchant Navy. Sadly I never really had an opportunity to ask him about his adventures, which included trips to South America.

Your right about new discoveries. Goodness knows what lurks in the depths. What ever we have done with this planet it is still a fascinating place, with lots to be discovered yet.

Take care

Last edited:
Ross Hunter said:
I heard the borneo thing was a species of giant squirrel that took a trip to the ground
Really? Is does look a bit rodenty, but last i heard they thought it was probably a relative of the mongooses. Bit like a binturong. (binturong is a great sounding word o:) )

Who knows?
I'll take bets if anyone's interested!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back