• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Scope Money Can Buy? (1 Viewer)

I agree that they are very close in specs, and that it's a bit strange.
But I guess Swaro have been setting the size standard with the ATX scopes.
My initial response was why bother with the 95mm Harpia though.
A 75mm version would have been of more interest to me.

A smaller scope appeals to me also but that's because size and weight -do- matter to us.

Though I'm certainly not in the market for any spotter that big, my point is that you're mostly there with the weight and expense of the Harpia 85 so why not get the extra 10mm of aperture with the 95?

However, the restricted aperture at lower magnifications with the Zeiss design, as Henry has pointed out, is a turn off and makes this even more of an abstract conversation for me.

I have the 883, but have used the ATX95 on occasions, and once had both set up side-by-side. I thought optically there wasn't much between them, but think i marginally preferred the Kowa (although that might be the familiarity factor).
I would say it would come down to the range of activities you will use it for. Aside from the optical qualities, the ATX is a big old beast to lug about all day. While the Kowa is lighter (and thus can perhaps add to weight saving in head and legs), it is probably more fragile.
The Kowa (plus extender) provides everything i'm ever going to need in a scope - i'm curious to look through the Harpia, but probably only that - curious.

Zeiss are bringing out the new Harpia scopes soonish too. There may not be just Swarovski and kowa to choose from.

have just read the review on birdguides for the new zeiss harpia scope, now im even more confused then before, why cant there just be a clear winner so i can just go and get that one, not sure the wife is going to be happy with spending the majority of bird fair in the optics tent!

Best Scope Money Can Buy?

Easy, the X95 with the 1.7x extender!... 3:)

If you need birding at big distances, the big extra power makes a difference! If you want not spend so much, the X85 with the extender still makes higher magnifications and has similar zoom range of the Kowa, both without the extender.
Kowa advantage - can receive astro-eps, that are specially interesting to get >80º AFOVs, but not so interesting if you need to change magnifications frequently.
X95/85 advantage - you can go also for a BTX. For me, the only views as special as eps with >92º AFOV is to look through a binoviewer with >60º eps...;) Also only interesting if you don't need to change magnifications frequently.
By the way, the Zeiss still doesn't have an extender, higher power eyepiece and/or astro-adapters, so not interesting if you want >70x...

have just read the review on birdguides for the new zeiss harpia scope, now im even more confused then before, why cant there just be a clear winner so i can just go and get that one, not sure the wife is going to be happy with spending the majority of bird fair in the optics tent!

I fully agree that there is no clear winner.
But optically I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top-scopes (Kowa 883, Swaro ATX, Zeiss Harpia). Even an cheaper ATS80HD or Meopta S2HD will do the job very well.

After trying the scopes IRL it's probably a lot easier to know what you like and not. Focus system and eye piece is the most important things IMO. Eye piece must feel comfortable to use, as well as the focusing system.

Warranty/service might be worth considering as well.

I have the 884 and have played with the big Swaro. My eyes are very good for 65 years old and you would need better visin than I have to tel a difference in the two scopes. I do prefer the Kowa focussing system to the Swaro but try both to see what suits you. As for astro scopes several people I know have them and find them too delicate for serious birding.
Steve

hey everyone, now the zeiss harpia has came into the shops does anyone have more of an opinion on what scope is the best? or is it still really hard to split them?
im still none the wiser so far but i am starting to lean towards the zeiss as the field of view sounds amazing
thanks in advance for any responses!

I rather suspect at the price point of Kowa 883, Harpia and Swaro ATX (of whatever size) the differences optically are minimal and ergonomics/personal usability is more important. I also suspect that that differences in the users' vision are a huge factor. In other words, what I can see and prefer is likely to be different to that which anybody else can see and prefers. I am confident there is no single scope that is a clear winner - at this price point I don't think you can go very wrong - if you like the ergonomics and the view through the scope, that is the best scope money can buy. In my case, I preferred the Kowa 883 over the Zeiss Diascope and the Swaro and Leica offerings. Nothing really wrong with the competition but the Kowa 883 felt "right" for me. 9 months of ownership has not caused me to change my mind. Others will think different instruments "feel right" for them and that is fine. Spend the time using the instrument rather than wondering if your choice is better than another choice. And I suppose if you buy a used instrument you can sell it on if need be without much ofd a loss.

One other point about the Kowa. If you have enough light people have used two of the 1.6 extender's at once. I was birding last fall with a friend who had an extender and we put his and mine on my scope. You have to crank the zoom down to find what you want to look at but when you crank it back its unbelievable.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back