• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owling trip to Comoros (1 Viewer)

"Hardcore" is the first word that comes to mind.
"Rather you than me" is the second, and
"Thanks for the great write up" is my final word!

actually I loved your description of your first Sokoke Scops Owl - it brought out a big smile and a great memory. There are pix of Sokoke Scops Owl and African Wood Owl here for those who are curious.

Cheers
Mike

actually I loved your description of your first Sokoke Scops Owl - it brought out a big smile and a great memory. There are pix of Sokoke Scops Owl and African Wood Owl here for those who are curious.

Cheers
Mike

Yes, brilliant read as always - very jealous over your Moheli Scops Owl sighting - it hadn't even been discovered when went to that island. We didn't go out a night as there 'weren't any owls'....

cheers, alan

Nice report!

I would always welcome tips how to find more owls (technique and strategy tips, not stakeout places or contacts to local people).

I would echo Mike's comments, although until I read your report, I hadn't appreciated the Seychelles could be such a 'hardcore' destination...I'd assumed he meant the Comoros!

Appreciate you sharing such an entertaining trip report, which reads really well as a description of the travel experience as well as the owling.

A really fun read... perhaps a suggestion to carry a bottle of water though (said in good spirit and jest) :) Brings back nice memories!

I would echo Mike's comments, although until I read your report, I hadn't appreciated the Seychelles could be such a 'hardcore' destination...I'd assumed he meant the Comoros!

Appreciate you sharing such an entertaining trip report, which reads really well as a description of the travel experience as well as the owling.

I did Comoros with Ross - we did a lot of hiking on Karthala (and camped up top as well) for both the owl and diurnal birds.

On Moheli we hired a car to the other side of the island for the diurnal birds, and on the return in the evening just stopped in a likely forest patch and got the owl easily.

On Anjuan we also used Patrice, got the owl in what sounds like the same location.

On Mayotte the owl is easy - hardest part (which is not hard) is transport up to and back from Relais.

In the Seychelles we rented a car for the day for something like US$40 or so if I recall correctly and drove back and forth on the cross island road owling until the wee hours. It took us a long time to find Seychelles Scops-Owl, I recall we went to bed about 3-4am, just pitching our tents at one of the pullouts / rest areas / view points up there. We were exhausted from travel and staying out all night but it was not as gnarly as this account!

Cheers,
Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back