• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zurich in May (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Hoping to visit a friend in Zurich for a few days in May. She doesn't drive and it's by no means a birding trip so I'm not expecting to rack up the ticks.

But it's my first visit to central europe since I started birding and wondered what I might be able to see in Parks, lakesides or in an easy public transport trip that doesn't occur regularly in the UK

Hi,

You should easily see Black Kite, Serin and Short-toed Treecreeper in and around the city. Alpine Swift breed in the city centre so should also be easy to find.

It all depends on how far you're willing to travel but there are a few good sites within easy reach of Zürich. Public transport is extensive, punctual and frequent in Switzerland so it wouldn't be too tricky to go further than the three sites I've listed below. If you're not keen on going too far from Zürich, it would make sense to go to one or more of the following spots and just see what's about. For public transport look at www.sbb.ch

1. Chatzensee (lake and marsh area surrounded by arable farmland) is only a short journey from the city centre. Directions to it on this page.
https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Zurich

2. Neeracherried. (marsh) Not far from Zürich either. You'll find a link to it on the Switzerland page in Opus. Savi's Warbler, RB Shrike and White Stork here.

3. Niderholz (forest) in Marthalen to north of Zürich. Seven species of woodpecker in and around the area but May not the best time of year to actually see them. It's a lovely forest even if you don't see very much. Again in Opus.

Others on here know Zürich better than me as I live in central Switzerland.

ATB
Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back