• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch Compared to Vortex Viper (2 Viewers)

carjug

I've had a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42s for about two years, and I love them. I decided to get a pair of Vortex Viper 10x50s; and yesterday afternoon they showed up. I adjusted the Vortexs, then took both bins out for a comparison.
It wasn't like apples and oranges, more like cats and dogs,(pitbulls&kittens?). The Nikons are quite a bit smaller, a little lighter, and cost less than half of the Vortex bill. I started out looking at American Robins perched in a tree a hundred feet away in the dreary twilight. I could swear the Vortex had a better image, but my little Nikons beat it for field width. I then took both sets to an abandoned field, the Vortex really showed it's stuff. A roadsign a quarter mile away was set in a rock foundation; Nikon showed me the foundation, Vortex let me see the individual rocks. The big 50mm objective lenses drink in the light, and they are coated with high tech stuff.
On the way back to the house, I looked at a sign on some condos. Nikon let me see the sign, Vortex let me read it.
So, what to do now? Both Bins are awesome, I think the Nikons will land in my glove compartment, and the Vortex will be for daily tromps through the fields. I dunno which set will be best for Warbler chasing, it will be fun finding out. How does a deer hunter's binoculars stack up against birding bins when chasing something little and quick?
I dearly wish I could compare Nikon's 10x56 to Vortex 10x50. That might be more like apples and oranges. I also wish Nikon would quit with their confusing marketing ploys, and make it simple to know what they sell.
The bottom line, don't try out 10x50's unless you have plenty of spare cash laying around.

carjug,

the two have roughly the same exit pupil size so the brightness would be equal if they also had the same light transmission percentage.
The Vortex, on the other hand, has a greater twilight factor that makes it easier to discern smaller details. This is most apparent in subdued light.

The 10x requires steadier hands, while the 8x is more forgiving to hand shake.
Field of view (FOV) usually is wider with less magnification, but this is not a linear correlation.
The Viper line is a way better binocular than the Monarchs so I'm not surprised that you love it.

A couple of years ago I thought I needed a 10x50 and searched vividly for a suitable model, but in vain. Yes, they are nice, but for me there was a better solution.

I now have a Vortex 6.5x32 for use at shorter distance, it is very steady and has a wide FOV, awesome depth of field and is very fast and easy to use.
When its power is not sufficient, I have a Zeiss FL 10x32 which is every bit what I need.
I have argued that in Scandinavia we need bigger exit pupils since the Sun hits the horizon with a shallow angle, resulting in a prolonged dusk period.

This is still true, but the only binocular I'd add to improve things would be a 7x42 that has an exit pupil of 6 mm, which is the same size my own pupils dilate to at their most.
An 8x50 or 8x56 would do the same, but with unnecessary weight and bulk.
I do really prefer 7x to 8x, you see.

Depending on how you use binoculars (at which distance and targets) I imagine you could be satisfied with the 10x50 alone.
A lower power bin, maybe a Viper 6x32, would add new qualities to your warbler chasing, where it would beat the Monarch to pieces. Doesn't even have to be the 6x32 HD, the older one should be very nearly the same.

//L

Magnification shows detail, and 12x shows even more. But high magnification misses action (not a problem with rocks). I loved 12x, but am really happier overall with my 10x, and rarely use my 8x.

I was freaking out yesterday with my 10x, watching a flycatching warbler about 15 yards away. Figure 8s, outside loops, zig zags, power dives, this bird was going nuts. I hung on some how, but sheesh, I wanted a 6x then. But most of the views were ducks, a long way off, and I missed my old 12x. Any power helps a lot. You just have to compromise.
Ron

yeah, 10x50 isn't exactly the best configuration for warbler chasing.

if you are happy with the build quality, optics and ergonomics of the Viper then the 6x32 on the awesome discount right now at Eagle Optics is a great suggestion. The Vipers are really great bins.

I use string for a neck strap because I like to carry my bins in my hand. Yesterday I dropped the bins over my head and unto my neck. THUD! These suckers are heavy and cumbersome.
On the plus side, I was lucky enough to meet a hawk yesterday, and watched her perch on a tree at twilight. The 10x50's sure made the experience pleasant.
Yup, it's all a compromise.
carjug

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back