• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sensitive Areas At Risk (1 Viewer)

Screech

Here in the USA, New Jersey where I "Bird", the trails in our State Parks are being invaded by "Mountain Biking" enthusits. Mountain, forest, seashore are all feeling the effect of bikers riding en mass, snapping off shrubs, cutting small braches that overhang the trails. Some Parks are thinking of "Black-topping" some of the more frequented paths.
When I inquired about the destruction I was informed "Parks" are ment for everyone and yes, Consevation is an issue, But they have to maintain areas for all sorts of uses.
All this leads to more loss of natural conditions at a Big Price to the Birding Community. THey call it Progress!

Nothing like getting all settled in for some anticipated bird observation and have 5 or 6 bikers come pedelling through the wood, with their loud behavior. Takes a good while for thing's to get back to normal.

Do you have this problem in the UK?
I don't have an answer but I think things are only going to get worse! bob

Yes. it is a problem here too.

There has just been a National Cycle trail built. If it were a road for cars there would have been protesters, but because it's for bikes it's right on.

In my opinion walking in the counrtyside means getting a bit of mud on your boots. Now some very nice walks have been ruined by having metalled surfaces, plus the risk of being mown down by bikes, they don't hang around.

We had a contract to renovate a length of footpath and all sorts of conditions were put on the job as a very rare plant grows next to the path. The cycle route joins this path a little further on and they just whacked a 3 metre road along the top of the seawall covering any of the Hogs Fennell with 6 inches of road stone.

Here in France I often see Mountain Bikers tearing along when I walk in the woods. Always seem to be polite, a “Bonjour” as they race past, and the birds come back after a minute or two. I am of the view that we have to share the countryside with other users, even been known to do a bit of sweating myself, though I get off and push when the path goes uphill! On the other hand if they started tarring the paths I would be most unhappy, but on general a “live and let live” policy seems to work OK here.

winkle and Paul, I'm all for "live and let live", but there's no excuse for the wonton destruction of vegetation and shrubbrery along the trails.
The bikers in France are way more polite than the bikers I frequentley see "tearing along on the trail".

The all terrain vehicles are the sore spot with me Bob. I found this beautiful area awhile back and was so dismayed this past week to find kids younger than 12 with no parental supervision riding over all sorts of vegetation in this pristine woodland. The fumes and noise were enough to make me leave and the kids thought it was pretty funny when I tried to explain what they were doing with their ATVs. Sort of "you're not the boss of me" attitude. Very frustrating.

KC, I know exactly how you feel. The "ATV'S" are a real pain. A good friend of mine owns a large farm and is always riding the back acrage to catch the younger group destroying his crops. He said "if they at least stole it to eat, that would be one thing", but, "To just drive all over it, just to destroy it, makes no sense".
What it amounts to is no respect for themselves, or other people and their property. Very frustrating indeed!

Similar to what's been happening in Yellowstone National Park. In recent years, the snowmobilers get so thick that park rangers even have to wear masks to avoid breathing in the diesel fumes! And I can't imagine the noise!

I may not have all my facts straight here, but I think I remember that last year, the numbers of snowmobilers allowed to use the park were regulated, thus aiding air quality. But I also think I remember that the Bush administration was going to lift those restrictions, allowing more vehicles to use the park.

I understand that parks ARE for everyone to use, but good grief! At the expense of the environment? It just doesn't make sense to me!

I often see the same thing at a local county park, where a good portion of the acreage is designated 'nature preserve' -- which, among other things, means no pets on the paths. Yet I frequently see people running their dogs through there (both on and off the leash).

Part of the problem is that our county parks are already understaffed and underfunded, so there aren't enough park personnel to enforce the pet ban. And now, with big budget shortfalls looming, the staffing situation will get even tighter.

Beverly, As "Gilda" said, "if it's not one thing ,it's another".
We are covering a lot of ground with this thread. Here too, dogs unleashed are every day occurrence. Fewer Park Rangers with added patrol areas leave much to be desired. Signs have been erected stating rules, but it's apparent no one reads. The only suggestion, watch where you walk! ;0)

As you say Screech we are covering a lot of ground here. My reply was to your original point which was about cyclists in sensitive areas, as I said here where I live that is not really a problem. My local bird protection group even organizes outings on bikes with a guide to see birds; it’s a pretty good ecologic way of travelling and causes the minimum disturbance to the environment. The bikers I see when I’m out are usually sporting types and in twos or threes, I can live with that. What you seem to have there is a whole different problem, with motorised vehicles and I can understand your anger, sounds like a nightmare.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back