• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simon King green Victory 8x32 T*FL (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

[Following on from PYRTLE's sharp spotting of a green Zeiss 8x32 FL and posting about it in a separate thread - much appreciated.]

Completely on impulse the decision was made mid-morning to take advantage of the fine weather to visit the London Wetlands Centre where the In Focus branch is, complete with 3-sided viewing platform so you can look out on to the wetlands away from the sun, sideways on, and into the sun, all good tests of binoculars. The thinking was to see what the wetlands centre was like, check it out for a future more relaxed visit to see nature not binoculars, but also to see the green Victories at first hand.

The Simon King 8x32 Victory FL was in better condition than the shop's photo hinted at: cosmetically A1 apart from a tiny, very fine biro mark 1/4" long on the underside of one green armoured tube. The case, a brown cordura variant of the standard black case had a faux brown leather flap (as per HT) and brown strap, each with a pawprint, footprint, and camera icon motif. The case like the binoculars was in undamaged condition, remaining unfazed by obvious though careful use in the field. The only care needed in order to return the whole set to pristine condition is basic exterior cleaning of the binoculars: to blow and/or brush away some minor dust and grit at the edges of the objective lenses where they meet the recessed inside of the barrels, also on the outer cosmetic surfaces along the hinge edges and between eyecups and barrels. A clean of the eyepieces wouldn't come amiss either. Collimation appeared perfect after a quick and easy dioptre adjustment out on the viewing platform -- dioptre setting being one of the few occasions when objective caps are useful IMO. As a result views fell surely into focus, even against the light -- which was strong, with absolutely no cloud cover at 2pm in west London.

Had a good chat with Derek, the In Focus assistant, and tried out various sizes of different glass -- Nikon Monarch HG, Opticron in 8x32 and 10x32, and an EL SV 8.5x42 on the wildlife in the wetlands, on the SAS and British Airways birds, and on the flowers, which just happened to be obstructed by summery young women whose beautifully brushed hair floated nicely into focus...

Talking of focus, the focuser's action was irreproachable -- no rough patches, uneven resistance, or grating sounds. And a small consideration but it was what prompted the journey: binoculars in green to my taste look better than in black -- at least some models, and second hand good condition Victory FLs are not that common even in black. I have to come clean and admit to already having a very fine and fully Zeiss-serviced 8x32 FL already in black, courtesy of Lee, but green is what I was thinking when first wanting to get serious binoculars a long time ago.

Today all boxes were ticked beyond expectation. The binoculars came home with me and I can't wait to take them out into the woods, the park, and the marshes. In recent years Zeiss has come in for some criticism on the forums for poor quality control and choice of materials to house their great optics. But I sense Zeiss can't be criticised for any quality control slack over the FL generation of binoculars. As for cost, seeing that the Cleyspy example at the same cost looks very tired by comparison, the Simon King version from In Focus is fairly priced.

Many thanks to Pyrtle and No Spring Chicken for spotting this item in the first place and posting a thread to alert Bird Forum readers.

Tom

Slightly green with envy, always fancied a pair but will stick with my black FL 8x32.
Congrats and hope you enjoy them Tom.

Pat

Slightly green with envy, always fancied a pair but will stick with my black FL 8x32.
Congrats and hope you enjoy them Tom.

Pat

Thank you, Pat. Had you planned on buying them? I went ahead thinking that as you told us all the link you weren't wanting them yourself. They are very nice.

Small correction to my description: the strap for the case is black, the brown motifs being on the wide part to cushion the neck (where it normally would say Carl Zeiss). Also, small detail: the ring on each side of the case for the clip on strap is silver-colored metal not black as in the standard case.

I was lucky in that somehow I got the dioptre setting right first go and could tell these were a very good sample. Often I struggle for ages even with binoculars on a tripod as I seesaw to and fro and then get tired...

Last edited:
Not at all Tom, just thought a heads up may be of interest and personally chuffed that they've found a good home where they will be used and appreciated. They did look to be in excellent condition. Good move by yourself.

Regards, Pat

Not at all Tom, just thought a heads up may be of interest and personally chuffed that they've found a good home where they will be used and appreciated. They did look to be in excellent condition. Good move by yourself.

Regards, Pat

Thanks, Pat. Both pairs will get plenty of use being small enough to carry in a large pocket but not fiddly. The thing I don't like when trying out 20 or 25mm binoculars is that the eye piece tubes are too narrow for comfort on the face and the focuser too small for easy focus adjustment. And they have no low light capability at all.

Addendum: I won't try the Zeiss Victory compacts now I've said that as they sound too good. (Nearly 40 pages about them; game changer and life changer. Maybe send a pair to every party and world leader and watch peace and harmony break out as they are all united in love for their new present!)

Last edited:
Snap! I took delivery this week of a SK Zeiss FL (green) also! From a gentleman seller in UK, on the 'bay. Superb binos. I had a pair in black many years ago but sold them (very fickle, moi). I didn't like the grip, but although it's not perfect for my hands, everything else about the FL 32mm is astounding. And these have Simon King's signature on the focus wheel (embossed), and on a little cert in the box (in ink!). I had to check who he is. I pity him, having to sign his name 250 times. But it also occurs to me...if these are a 250 limited edition...I have one. You have one, Seldomperched. Presumably they gave Mr. King one. That leaves 247 other folk who have them, assuming all were sold. Could we initiate a Brotherhood of the SK/FL? A masonic lodge, or an MS13 gang with 'SK' finger gestures and tats? Seriously though, these are still top-end binos, much loved by our BF correspondent in Central Park, they must be a twenty-year old model but nothing produced since has outclassed them. And like you, I prefer the green. My aim was to end up with just three binos, and I think I've achieved it (once I've sold the surplus): Zeiss FL 8x32, Canon IS 10x42, and Leica UV 8x20 for cycling. All bases covered.

Snap! I took delivery this week of a SK Zeiss FL (green) also! From a gentleman seller in UK, on the 'bay. Superb binos. I had a pair in black many years ago but sold them (very fickle, moi). I didn't like the grip, but although it's not perfect for my hands, everything else about the FL 32mm is astounding. And these have Simon King's signature on the focus wheel (embossed), and on a little cert in the box (in ink!). I had to check who he is. I pity him, having to sign his name 250 times. But it also occurs to me...if these are a 250 limited edition...I have one. You have one, Seldomperched. Presumably they gave Mr. King one. That leaves 247 other folk who have them, assuming all were sold. Could we initiate a Brotherhood of the SK/FL? A masonic lodge, or an MS13 gang with 'SK' finger gestures and tats? Seriously though, these are still top-end binos, much loved by our BF correspondent in Central Park, they must be a twenty-year old model but nothing produced since has outclassed them. And like you, I prefer the green. My aim was to end up with just three binos, and I think I've achieved it (once I've sold the surplus): Zeiss FL 8x32, Canon IS 10x42, and Leica UV 8x20 for cycling. All bases covered.

I hadn't heard of Simon King either but both the assistant at London Wetlands Centre and the owner of my local shop commented that he is an exceptionally pleasant man who made his name in wildlife photography. I believe he was on the original Spring Watch team too. He obviously became a bit of a celebrity and I expect profits (why not?) from his status and being part of special editions and so on.

Today I cleaned up -- not that it needed much doing -- the SK FL and it really is about as good as new as anything ever can be once it's been unwrapped and handled. It is a really good specimen and razor sharp. I have been using a few pieces of pottery with wildflower and butterfly motifs to test at close range; the FL has not disappointed and the detail really comes up clearly.

Hope you are having as much luck with yours in use. They are good looking binoculars for sure and very well made. I shan't be selling these (actually I haven't sold any at any time, come to think of it).

Sancho, the brotherhood idea sounds amusing but I'm all for peace and quiet these days; I get enough excitement at work!

Tom

Hi Tom, yes now you mention it I remember seeing him on Springwatch years ago, I think with Bill Oddie and a lady called Kate! Lots of badgers if I remember. Like Groucho, I'd avoid a brotherhood that would accept my membership; but the SK/FL are a joy to look through. I suspect as a limited edition, Zeiss QC made sure they were all 'cherry' specimens. Enjoy yours in good health!

The early Zeiss FL, which were available in green, had a tendency to eventually stain where they came into contact with the black objective caps and other black plastic accessories. I know nothing about the Simon King edition, but if the armor is made from the same material as the old green ones, you should be careful if you want to keep it looking pretty.

--AP

Thanks Alexis! I have a pathological dislike of objective covers, especially ones that are tethered to the binoculars, so I've removed them. I'll have a look at the ocular guard and decide its fate.

The early Zeiss FL, which were available in green, had a tendency to eventually stain where they came into contact with the black objective caps and other black plastic accessories. I know nothing about the Simon King edition, but if the armor is made from the same material as the old green ones, you should be careful if you want to keep it looking pretty.

--AP

I'm not too fussed about keeping mine looking pretty (bizarrely, I am yet another owner of the S.K. edition - I ought to bring the case to Birdfair one year and get it properly autographed!) but don't see any marks despite them having had a fair amount of use. In an ideal world I suppose I would have liked the black version (later, so presumably with the very latest coatings) but can't fault the green job, which has served me very well. The little plastic alpha is still a formidable performer.

PS. Does anyone know whether the S.K. edition came out after the FLs were black, or when they were still green?

Attachments

• 20181229_184632_01.jpg
    20181229_184632_01.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 20190404_193134_01.jpg
    20190404_193134_01.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 20190628_111417_01.jpg
    20190628_111417_01.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 175
To stress Alexis’ point in post #9

At least for some of the green FL production:
If the black objective caps are kept on the FL’s for an extended period, the green RA that’s in contact with the caps discolours turning a dull brown
- seemingly the black bleeds into the green

I bought a second hand pre-Lotutec 7x42 FL that has this mildly irritating condition (whether the composition of the caps or the green RA was later changed, who knows?)

So I’d suggest:
- If you have a green FL, don’t store it with the objective caps on it, and
- If you want a pristine model, specifically check the objective housings before you buy

John

Hi,

The 32mm FLs were released in August 2004 and were initially only available in black. The green version was introduced later.

Green was chosen for the Simon King version as it was the less common of the two colours and it matched the "outdoors" image which Simon is well known for.

Gary

... It is a really good specimen and razor sharp. I have been using a few pieces of pottery with wildflower and butterfly motifs to test at close range; the FL has not disappointed and the detail really comes up clearly.

Tom

Hello Tom,

I have had my ordinary 8x32 FL for fourteen years of good use. I hope that you may make good use of yours. Although it added Lotutec and may have updated the coatings, Zeiss has not replaced the 8x32 with a newer top of the line model

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

This may be inaccurate and/or "old news" but yesterday I saw a very recent online review posted by a German optics retailer stating that the FL 32 series was "soon" to be discontinued and replaced in the lineup presumably by comparable SF models. This possibility has previously been discussed in other threads on the forum as well but FWIW....

Mike

This may be inaccurate and/or "old news" but yesterday I saw a very recent online review posted by a German optics retailer stating that the FL 32 series was "soon" to be discontinued and replaced in the lineup presumably by comparable SF models. This possibility has previously been discussed in other threads on the forum as well but FWIW....

Mike

Could you post or suggest a link to the article please ? Thank you.

Could you post or suggest a link to the article please ? Thank you.

Wish I was adept enough to post a link for convenience but if you Google "Optics Trade Reviews Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 T" you will hopefully find it. I hope it's just old rumor or sales talk as paddy7 suggests in post # 18.

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back