• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

German darters (1 Viewer)

Dave Pearson

Could someone help me ID some darters I found in Bonn recently?

They appear to have all black legs so I assumed Ruddy but the abdomen does not look waisted, despite being red, and there are some small black dots ringed with yellow that apparently is a feature of Vagrant. Having only a camera phone did not help with the quality of my pictures.

I read that female Ruddy can turn red and that the wings also turn golden with age so that would be my first suggestion.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20191025_150641.jpg
    20191025_150641.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 41
In the absence of any other replies. The black goes along the top of the frons but not down the sides eliminating both Ruddy and Vagrant Darter. It looks like a male Common Darter to me but with the legs appearing black - they can darken with age and the pale stripes down the rear of each leg can be difficult to see. I've attached a similar-ish one (although you can see the stripes in the legs). Common Darters have small black dots ringed with yellow. I don't know if it's an artefact but I think I can see a little bit of the yellow side panel just in front of the wing.

Attachments

• 600D_15456.jpg
    600D_15456.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Paul,

I had a feeling the information about the black spots was the other way round!

How about this other darter? It would appear to me that the black extends down the side of the frons but the image is not brilliant.

Attachments

• Darter.jpg
    Darter.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 29
Moustached / Vagrant Darter is common on my patch in Russia

Attachments

• Moustached Darter face.jpg
    Moustached Darter face.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back