• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Krider's or ??? (1 Viewer)

KAC

I photographed this hawk yesterday in Baldwin County, Alabama - that's LA (Lower Alabama). In addition to this one, there were 8 Swainson's Hawks in the same general area. Along with other Red-tailed Hawks which were easier to ID. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karen

Attachments

• DSC_3625.jpg
    DSC_3625.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_3624.jpg
    DSC_3624.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 72
I'm glad you mentioned that because I was just discussing the same thing to my friend before I posted the photos.

Carpel bar, belly band (of spots), unfeatherred legs, barring on tail all say Red-tailed Hawk and not Ferruginous.

One more thing to add against Ferruginous is this bird's small bill and gape line.

With such a stunningly pale bird, I'm sure "Krider's" Red-tailed has to be in the conversation.

It is a "Krider's" Red-tailed Hawk.

They are found mainly in winter along the Mississippi Basin according to the range maps in Wheeler's "RAPTORS of Eastern North America." Very similar pictures of a flying Juvenile "Krider's" Hawk with a sparsely marked Belly Band like this one has are shown in plates 368 and 369 in the above book.

Note also that its Patagial Bar on the left wing of the bird in the 1st picture herein can be easily seen.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back