• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car boot security (1 Viewer)

Drrichard

Hi from a wet, grey, cold UK. First post as just joined.
Most birders carry binoculars, scope and camera, often worth several thousand pounds sterling/US dollars. Theft being a constant threat I have pondered security in addition to insurance.

Has any found a secure lockable box for the boot of a car? Ideally with a steel cable to allow tethering to the car.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. Sorry I don’t have any help with your question.

My son and a friend welded a steel box into their car in South Africa! (not for optics - everything went in it!)

But I agree - My car was broken into in Spain (nr Malaga airport) and I lost my travel bag. I had all my optics on me, plus my passport.

Hello and welcome to the forum, enjoy and all the best. I think the thieves will get into anything and steal the contents.

Hi Drrichard and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi, I never leave anything on view, and use an old cheap camera bag anyway. The best thing I can think of of is to get something like a van strong box for tools, (ebay) and tether it to something substantial with a bicycle lock

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back