• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact binoculars? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I´m going to buy a pair of compact binoculars, but I don´t know wich one to buy. It should be easy to carry because I will "allways" keep it in my pocket when I´m on my way. In my normal birding I use Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon Fieldscope ED82, so I hope that this compact binocular would fit the Nikon´s when it comes to colour. Maybe some Nikon compact bin would be the first one to look for!?

- It should be an 8x
- It should fit in a "normal" pocket (jacket)
- Have colours that reminds about the colours in the 8x32 SE and ED82
- Good overall optics
- Easy to use even with spectacles
- Not be to expensive (like a Nikon 8x25 Sportstar IV)

What do you think about an Nikon 8x25 Sportstar IV? Is this useful och just a bad choice for me?

Regards
Jonas

The Kingfisher said:
What do you think about an Nikon 8x25 Sportstar IV? Is this useful och just a bad choice for me?

Regards
Jonas

I searched in the forum and found that the Nikon Sportstar not is what I´m looking for. It seems that it has a terribly eye-relief. So..any other suggestions of compact binoculars?

The Kingfisher said:
I searched in the forum and found that the Nikon Sportstar not is what I´m looking for. It seems that it has a terribly eye-relief. So..any other suggestions of compact binoculars?

Now that you already have very good optics, you'd be disappointed getting cheap compacts. The Leica Ultravid 8x20 would be the one (compact) binocular that you'd be happy with for the rest of your life, I'm sure. I think, it pays off here to spend a bit more. There is a good review in the review section, but I suggest you also check the Leica forum here. There is no problem fitting Nikon and Leica color rendition. I have both types and never notice a problem.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
Now that you already have very good optics, you'd be disappointed getting cheap compacts. The Leica Ultravid 8x20 would be the one (compact) binocular that you'd be happy with for the rest of your life, I'm sure. I think, it pays off here to spend a bit more. There is a good review in the review section, but I suggest you also check the Leica forum here. There is no problem fitting Nikon and Leica color rendition. I have both types and never notice a problem.

if you don't want to spend a lot of money then the Opticron Taiga 8x25 nothing to touch them compact wise under £200.

However if you like Nikon images then the Nikon HGL8x20 are superb.

Don't Do It...

The Kingfisher said:
I´m going to buy a pair of compact binoculars, but I don´t know which one to buy... Maybe some Nikon compact bin would be the first one to look for!?

Not be too expensive (like a Nikon 8x25 Sportstar IV) [UNQUOTE]

Hi KingFisher,

I was going to suggest you take a look through the Leica Ultravid 8x20s (see my [still very] satisfied report in Equipment Reviews).

However: Once you look through them, you will never be satisified with anything less and your "not be too expensive" criteria will never be met!

Cheers,

Chris.

Have a look at the Pentax DCF MC II 8x25. They are long eye-relief, twist-up eyecup, multi-coated, phase coated, and water proof. Eagle Optics sells them for 120 $US. This style with the each tube hinged separately to a center platform is the most compact when folded up. I used to own a previous non-waterproof version of this binoc and it was very good optically. One drawback: narrow field of view, 288 ft./1000 yds. Gotta give up something somewhere, but look at the price.

trashbird said:
Have a look at the Pentax DCF MC II 8x25. They are long eye-relief, twist-up eyecup, multi-coated, phase coated, and water proof. Eagle Optics sells them for 120 $US. This style with the each tube hinged separately to a center platform is the most compact when folded up. I used to own a previous non-waterproof version of this binoc and it was very good optically. One drawback: narrow field of view, 288 ft./1000 yds. Gotta give up something somewhere, but look at the price.

I have this binocular and I agree that it is quite nice. I carry mine around with me quite literally all the time. (I also have its predecessor the 8x22 DCF MC which also was/is a nice binocular, though I do appreciate the larger 25mm objective lens of the new model.) Certainly it is not as good as a binocular costing 6x its price but, it is still very satisfying. I must correct you on one small point however. While it is "weather resistant," this binocular is not waterproof.

Just as an FYI, there is a new version of this bin out with more eye relief and the same price. I have not tried one yet though.

lucznik said:
I have this binocular and I agree that it is quite nice. I carry mine around with me quite literally all the time. (I also have its predecessor the 8x22 DCF MC which also was/is a nice binocular, though I do appreciate the larger 25mm objective lens of the new model.) Certainly it is not as good as a binocular costing 6x its price but, it is still very satisfying. I must correct you on one small point however. While it is "weather resistant," this binocular is not waterproof.

Oops. I was getting a little too enthusiastic, I guess. Still a nice little binoc, though, as you attest to. And I do remember now that the model I owned, the DCF MC, was indeed only 8x22. Now I really want to get the MCII with the 25mm objectives.

*plots*

What the hey? Why limit the objectives to 25mm. Consider the Pentax 8 x 28 DCF MP. They have phase coating, 20mm ER, 315' FOV, Waterproof to 1 meter and will fit into a jacket pocket. Of Course, they aren't cheap either. About $300.00 and they weigh a full pound. The DCFMCII weighs 6 oz. less but has a FOV of 288'. They also have 21mm ER.
Bob
"You pays yer money and takes yer cherse." Jerry Leemey

I have both the Opticron Taiga and the Nikon Sportstar III. The Opticron Taiga is not quite so compact (it's a reverse porro) and has a narrower field of view (The Nikon Sportstar III has a very wide field of view). OTOH the Taiga has much better eye relief, and is noticeably sharper.

The Kingfisher said:
I´m going to buy a pair of compact binoculars, but I don´t know wich one to buy. It should be easy to carry because I will "allways" keep it in my pocket when I´m on my way. In my normal birding I use Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon Fieldscope ED82, so I hope that this compact binocular would fit the Nikon´s when it comes to colour. Maybe some Nikon compact bin would be the first one to look for!?

- It should be an 8x
- It should fit in a "normal" pocket (jacket)
- Have colours that reminds about the colours in the 8x32 SE and ED82
- Good overall optics
- Easy to use even with spectacles
- Not be to expensive (like a Nikon 8x25 Sportstar IV)

Regards
Jonas

If you don't need them to be waterproof how about a Canon 8x25 IS. Compact, you can hold them with one hand, light (17 oz.), excellent optics (best edge sharpness I have seen in any binoculars) , and with the IS engaged you can see more detail than any Leica or Zeiss or Swarovski. Best of all you can get them for $220.00 shipped in two days from Amazon.com. I love mine!

Dennis

The IS Canon may be 8x25 but it really isn't that compact.

True, it is more of a mid-sized bin....though it is more compact than some of its higher powered counterparts.

I wonder what Kingfisher finally settled for?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back