• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Birds / Bagan / Myanmar (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
These are from my archives. Shot last year...

The Stonechat I believe is Siberian?

The second bird I'm not sure...

Thank you for your feedback!

Jose

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 61
Both stonechats; male and female respectively. Not sure whether they'll be Siberian Stonechat Saxicola maurus, or Stejneger's Stonechat Saxicola stejnegeri, in Myanmar.

Thank you both for the input! I didn't think of Stejneger's...

These are 2 other photos of stonechats shot in the area, different from the former individuals, in case they can shed some light.

Thanks again!

Jose

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 49
Just a thought. White-tailed Stonechats are a specialty of the islands in the Ayeyarwaddy near Bagan. I'm certainly not skilled to separate them, but it might help to be more specific about where near Bagan they were, especially since the habitat looks right for white-tailed.

And according to Clements, Stejneger's is a winter visitor to Myanmar. If the record is from outside the winter months, it could narrow it down (although most people visit Bagan in the winter).

Thank you Jeff and James for the input.

I thought of the possibility of them being White-tailed too. They all look so much alike. I was there end of November last year. The photos were taken around the Irrawaddy river and grasslands areas.

I think the 3 above mentioned stonechats are common in the area, so it's a bit hard to tell..

Thanks again!

Stejneger's Stonechat is a rare bird along the edges of the Ayeyarwady in Myanmar - I've birded along there many times and yet to encounter one, whereas White-tailed is a common inhabitant of the tiniest of natural grassland patches along much of the Ayeyarwady in central Myanmar. Stejneger's prefer the drier, acacia-dominated areas away from the river, around the Bagan pagoda complex for example.

James

Thank you James, great feedback!

How about Siberian? Could any of the photos be a match?

Cheers!

From what James has said about habitat preference, the two images in the 1st post must show White-tailed too, a species I hadn't considered. I stand corrected.

Siberian would not occur here, unless you include stejnegeri in maurus.

From what James has said about habitat preference, the two images in the 1st post must show White-tailed too, a species I hadn't considered. I stand corrected.

Siberian would not occur here, unless you include stejnegeri in maurus.

What are the ranges of the different taxa in this region? Myanmar seems to be around the western limit of stejnegeri and the eastern limit of maurus, and przewalskii also present. How well defined is the geographic separation of these different taxa and do they overlap at all?

(This is not a disagreement with the ID of the posted birds, just a general question)

What are the ranges of the different taxa in this region? Myanmar seems to be around the western limit of stejnegeri and the eastern limit of maurus, and przewalskii also present. How well defined is the geographic separation of these different taxa and do they overlap at all?

(This is not a disagreement with the ID of the posted birds, just a general question)

Not sure about the range limits of maurus and stejnegeri. I found one claimed sighting of stejnegeri from Bhutan on eBird, but I'm not sure if it's correctly identified.

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?tax...gionCode=BT&q=Siberian Stonechat (Stejneger's)

Unfortunately it's hard to check the status of maurus sensu stricto in Indochina as images probably show stejnegeri.

Re przewalskii, this nice web article includes some informative images from Thailand and also mentions that it is present in NE Myanmar. I imagine it's a short-distance altitudinal migrant?

https://ayuwat.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/siberian-stonechats-in-thailand/

I found 4 images from Myanmar, 2 from the Shan Hills, so presumably correctly identified, but I'm not sure about the Mandalay birds.

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?tax... (Przevalski's) - Saxicola maurus przewalskii

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back