• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (1 Viewer)

Thank you both Mike and Martin - that's very useful information. The site guide arrived yesterday so there is lots to read!

Info on marbled duck would be much appreciated nearer the time Martin.

Hi Jonathan

we had 2 Marbled teal from Bishops Hides at the Albefuera in early May and late May last year. We are going again 28/4-5/5 so I will be able to let you know if we see any again this year.

cheers Nick

The Moussier's redstart seems to have departed sadly. Following some extreme cold weather and some very clear nights, it went just before a friend of mine came to see it. He was not too happy but the Italian sparrow at Villafranca cheered him up a bit. Afterwards we had a good afternoon at Salobrar de Campos. A bit quiet but 64 Flamingos still at the site with Grey plover, Green sandpiper, Greenshank, Ringed plover, Kentish plover, Black-tailed godwit, Fan-tailed and Cetti's warblers, Water rail, Curlew, Lapwing Teal and Water pipit.

Yes, quite right, Subalpine is an uncommon migrant throughout the Island but the only place I know for Moltoni's is at Cuber Reservoir. There were at least a couple of pairs last year but I will post how may are seen this year. I would prefer a PM to give details of where they are as it is a rather sensitive site.

Early morning at Cap de ses Salines: hundreds of both Balearic and Cory's shearwaters, 4 Northern gannet, Turnstone, 2 adult Mediterranean gulls, later at Salobrar de Campos: 8 Common swift, 1 House martin, 20 Common crane, 5 Flamingos, 7 Black-tailed godwit, 3 Marsh harriers, 3 Grey plovers & 150 Golden plovers.

honeym;2372121... with a break from 18-24 April when I'll be on Cabrera. Martin[/QUOTE said:
I hope you'll post the sightings on those days. Excellent dates to be on the island. Hope you're coming with a boat as there're no accomodations for visitors on the island.
First moltonis usually around mid month, much commoner once you've left though. Try to find and id them learning well its call, a trrrrr resembling wren (which helpfully is not present on this island, being common in Majorca). Good dates for Collared Flycatcher, Bonelli's W and Black-eared Wheatear, too early for Icterine and Melodious Ws. Good luck, expect any kind of rarities on that island!
Cheers,
Eduardo

Last edited:
Hi Eduardo. Many thanks for the information about Moltoni's, I have been told many different things about their status so thanks for clearing that up. The pair at Cuber were photographed and confirmed as Moltoni's but I was told the migrants were Subalpine. I hope to get to Cabrera for the day, just look what was there last year! Mike

I am off to the Canaries for a week 2nd week in April 2012 (fuerteventura) and Mallorca in July 2012 what birds to look out for

thank you.

Hi Eduardo. Many thanks for the information about Moltoni's, I have been told many different things about their status so thanks for clearing that up. The pair at Cuber were photographed and confirmed as Moltoni's but I was told the migrants were Subalpine. I hope to get to Cabrera for the day, just look what was there last year! Mike

Hi Mike! The status, phenology and abundance of the different subalpine forms I've registered while monitoring migration during the 5 Spring seasons I've spent in Cabrera is resumed below:

Sylvia cantillans cantillans is a frequent and regular migrant, first scarce sightings at the end of March, fairly common through April, especially on the first 3 weeks of the month. Scarce again in May.
Sylvia (cantillans) moltonii. Fairly scarce breeder and moderate migrant. First birds around mid April, much commoner on the last week of April and especially first week of May.
Sylvia cantillans albistriata. Very rare migrant. Four records in the last 5 years: 1 on March 27th, 1 on April 10th, and 2 on April 17th.

I guess phenology should be about the same in mainland Mallorca, with the main arrival of Moltoni's at the end of April and through most of May, thus more or less replacing the earlier migrant ssp cantillans. Moltoni's are not easy to find as breeders in Mallorca, they are fairly scarce and localised, breeding mainly in the Serra de Tramuntana and in the Llevant mountains, but can turn up as (scarce) migrants almost anywhere.
Cheers,
Eduardo

Last edited:
Hi Eduardo. That's brilliant, many thanks. Good luck this year, let's hope the current trend of great birds continues.

GaryG. July offers some good stuff: Scop's owl, Woodchat shrike, Black and Griffon vultures, Black and Red kites, Cattle, Great and Little egrets, Squacco and Purple heron, Puple swamp-hen, Stone curlew,Audouins gull, Alpine and Pallid swift, Hoopoe, Bee-eater, Wryneck, Short-toed lark, Crag martin, Moustached,Sardinian,Balearic, Fan-tailed and Great reed warbler. I am sure I have missed lots out but that should hopefully be sufficient to get you going. Let me know if there is anything specific you are after. Good birding and do post here what you see. Mike

Looks like the first Eleanora's falcon made it here yesterday, a very early record indeed. Otherwise, a trickle of Swallows, a few House martins and some Common swift. More soon I hope as the winds are swinging round to the South. I will be at the most southerly point (Cap de ses Salines) early Wednesday and hope to catch a few migrants coming in. I will post.

It seems like Griffon vultures may now be breeding in Mallorca following a huge influx just over three years ago. Fantastic news. I saw them when they had just arrived but the news was not out so it was a great shock to see 43 vultures drifting over the mountain tops, one of the best sights I have experienced here, so unexpected. I had hoped they would stay to breed and it now looks like they will.

I'll be on Mallorca from the 6th to the 14th April and that will be my first trip out Switzerland since i began Birding.

Thank you Mike for sharing your sightings :t:

I'm so impatient... 3 weeks to wait it's just too much !

Hello Mike
Will be visiting Mallorca for first two weeks in April (8th trip!)
Do you happen to know anything about the best orchid sites or links to any websites?
Please contact me off forum if you prefer. Only just found your messages here so will be monitoring them closely over the next few weeks. Thanks
Matthew
[email protected]

An early morning watch at the Cap de ses Salines hoping for some migration but nothing except one swift and a lot of fog. 9 Pintail were nice as was Peregrine, Osprey and a pod of Bottle-nosed dolphins. Off to Cala Rajada now so will report from there. Mike

I wish I could have reported from the lighthouse at Capdepera but apart from the fog there was nothing else to be seen. This time last year we had alpine and common swift, house martin and many other migrants but this year nada! Things will hot up soon and I will keep posting. Mike

Hello

Hello,
this is Cristina.
I have been working at CTO la Gola until last november.
The bad new is that the Centre will not open this year, at least by the moment.
It's a shame because it was an excellent initiative.
In spite of this I invite you to keep visiting the park that is always open.

Keep in touch

Cristina

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back