• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

Well we're back home in the UK after a very nice holiday in Mallorca. I forgot to mention my second visit to S'Albufera on Friday 19th July, so here goes. This second visit (earlier in the day) was a little better than the first visit. We managed good close views of Crested Coot, a first for me, Purple Gallinule, Kentish and LR plover. Marsh Harrier, Kestrel, Little Egret, Purple Heron, Hoopoe and Black Winged Stilt were all evident. Plenty of butterflies were out and about. The visitor centre also provided an opportunity to purchase the excellent "Birding Tourist Guide to Mallorca", a very nice book, loaded with information about the birds and where to find them on the island. See this link for info on the book and how/where to obtain it. http://www.birdingmajorca.com/

I simply had to visit the old salt lagoons at the southern end of the S'Albufera reserve, as this was the one place that I remember offering good close views of waders from my visits 20 years back. Access is more difficult now as the little track is closed off and quite overgrown, but there is room to park off the main road for a few minutes. This quick stop off resulted in good views of Kentish and LR Plover, BW Stilts and Wood Sandpiper.

All in all, not great for birds but still an enjoyable trip.

Hello to the chap from Stoke we met in a hide at S'Albufera.

I've uploaded one of the photos of Spotted Flycatchers mentioned above in Boquer valley to my gallery.

Pete

Last edited:
A sweltering day at Salobrar de Campos today produced: Black-tailed godwit 1, Temminck's stint 1, Little stint 43, Avocet almost 500, Shelduck over 100, Short-toed lark 20, Greater Flamingo 8, Osprey 1, Woodchat 1 and Pallid swift 1. Not much return migration yet but still a bit early. Mike.

Bugger that's bad news..

Good news on the lens front.

After a hiccup with the insurers dragging their feet at the beginning of the week, following which I fired off an Exocet at them, I heard a couple of hours ago that the trusty old lens is a write-off and they are sending out a new one that should arrive on Monday.

To celebrate almost being back in the saddle, here's the last ever bird photo my trusty old 400mm took, taken from our rented apartment last Tuesday afternoon (just after an osprey flew past at an unfortunately greater range than the gull). Farewell lens, it was good to know you.

Attachments

• IMG_3439-web.jpg
    IMG_3439-web.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
May your new lens bring pictures as good as the old one did, I'm sure it will, and good news to hear the new ones on its way! :)

Pete

Deporadora at the s'Albufera reserve: 4 Marbled duck, 1 Alpine swift, at the main reserve: Sandpipers: 7 Green, 6 Wood, 2 Common and 3 Curlew sandpipers. 11 Little stints, 30 Spotted redshank (mostly young birds that did not stay probably due to lack of water) and 42 Little ringed plovers. Mike

At last some activity after a pretty unbearable heatwave. Salobrar de Campos today: Eleanora's falcon, Osprey, Booted eagle, Peregrine, possible Bonelli's eagle distantly. Wood sandpipers, Ruff, huge numbers of Avocet, Kentish plovers, Black-winged stilts, 9 Greater Flamingos and a few Dunlin. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Mike

I cannot believe I have been home two weeks after a great holiday in Mallorca.
13 lifer's (dipped on another 5 at least) and 15 year ticks.
Best bird.... Booted Eagle.
Hardest bird... Marbled duck I walked from the visitor centre almost to the saltpans (after been told by the warden that the birds were there) in the mid day heat it almost killed me.
Regards Pete
Paul The stoke birder

At last some activity after a pretty unbearable heatwave. Salobrar de Campos today: Eleanora's falcon, Osprey, Booted eagle, Peregrine, possible Bonelli's eagle distantly. Wood sandpipers, Ruff, huge numbers of Avocet, Kentish plovers, Black-winged stilts, 9 Greater Flamingos and a few Dunlin. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Mike

Hi Mike. I saw what was presumably one of the Bonelli's introductions from outside our digs on the Tramuntana road about 5 km west of Pollenca on the afternoon of 10th July.

It was soaring over the ridge to the south.

Thanks Barred Wobbler, I believe some of them are radio tagged so any sightings can be confirmed! We saw one at Salobrar that was not an introduced bird so it must have been a genuine migrant. Mike

The first Honey buzzard through today, hopefully lots more to come. This spring there were record numbers so let's hope for a bumper autumn as well. Mike

A practical query for the Mallorca locals regulars - is it possible to walk from Cala San Vincenc to the Boquer Valley 'overland' without going through P. Pollensa? or is it easier to walk a big L to P Pollensa and then the Boquer? (I have a map that appears to show paths for this). Or is that crazy and should I get a bus/taxi and then walk the valley?

Many thanks

Mike

Edit - We will be there the first week of Sept

Sorry for going "Off Topic" a little here but

I had a great time birding In Majorca.Although a family holiday,I still managed some great birds on a few trips out to S'Albufera.I was staying In Playa de Muro,on the Reserve's doorstep.The only major on the Reserve I "dipped on" was Bee Eater.Was almost going to be Hoopoe as well but thanks to Rob Mellor from Nottingham,I got one eventually.As well as Rob,a father and son duo from Dublin,Sean and Luke also got some fantastic birds.

Although most of my birding was done on the Reserve,the others went off piste and managed some other great birds.What a fantastic Island for birding on.Hope to be back next year again.

I am considering going to Majorca early October for a week or so, near the S'Albufera Reserve as I don't drive, will there still be a good number of birds at this time?

Hi Joe52. Yes, you could not choose a better time really, migration will be in full swing and you could pick up quite a few great birds. The Bóquer Valley should be good at that time and all the reserves are near to s'Albufera, Albufereta, the Depuradora, the back roads and Bóquer, Son Real. Hope you book, it´s a great place to be in October. Mike

I am in mallorca from 27th aug - 3rd sept and am looking for a guide for a days birding Struggling to find anyone. Can you help? Lesley

A Dotterel was a great find this morning by Lalo, shame it had gone by the time I got there. Some other good waders there and Flamingo numbers are increasing now. Many common swift through including about six Alpine swift. Also Peregrine, Booted eagle, Marsh harrier, Osprey and Red kite.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back