• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

Good species Mike! I haven't seen any of them yet this year. Where did you get the Fieldfare? In the pines near the lighthouse?
The total species count (between all the participants) for the Big Year in January is 145.. Not bad at all :t: I met at least 12 birders yesterday in Cala Gamba ticking the Red-breasted Merganser...never seen a twitch before in Mallorca...:eek!:

They seem to favour the area that Martin suggests, that's where they were seen this year. It is best to stay at this point and wait for them. This morning at Cap de Ses Salines: 5 Gannet, one Fieldfare and three Redwing, none of them easy birds to see here. Mike

Yes, twitching seems to be catching on! I have had some great times twitching but not when it gets too serious and unruly but that won't happen here. The Fieldfare was very bold and out in the open on top of a bush for a few minutes and in the sunshine it looked glorious, I have not seen one for ages. Standing beside the lighthouse looking out to sea, the bird was to the right,(West) not far away, a little inland where there are some low bushes. The Redwings were just behind it at the same time. It flew only a short way so hopefully will still be in the same area. Good luck, Mike

Failed to see the Red-breasted merganser at Cala Gamba this afternoon but there was a large concentration of Sandwich terns there. Also a Common gull has been seen at the port in Palma.

I saw the my first House martin on Monday and a couple more are in today mixing with the over-wintering Crag martins. A good selection of common birds including more than usual numbers of Song thrush.

The stormy weather´s making seawatching interesting. At the Formentor lighthouse I saw a first year Kittiwake a couple of days ago and yesterday a group of 7 adults were also observed at the same place along with two Gannets.

Great birds Steve, well done for the first winter, I have only ever seen one and it too was first winter. A great day at s'Albufera yesterday with about 70 species, 40 Night heron, over 40 Spotted redshanks, a Pintail, Flamingos, lots of Reed buntings, Siskin, Dunnock and I am sure I heard a Penduline tit but it flew before I could focus.

First Barn swallows in today at my local patch, Mondragó. Also one House martin, so migration is under way. I will be going every day from now on hoping for a "Biggie" but a Red-rumped swallow will do nicely..any day now. Mike

A few more Barn Swallows through today and I found a freshly broken egg from a Sardinian warbler today, quite early I would suggest? Mike

A good morning at the Cap de ses Salines with over 130 Balearic shearwaters moving East, also one Gannet and one Fieldfare. Later at Salobrar de Campos, 49 Flamingos, mostly young birds, Spotted redshank, Grey and Golden plover, 2 Ruff, Ringed plover, Kentish plover, Dunlin, 4 Booted eagles and about half a dozen Barn swallows. Mike

Two Cuckoo heard yesterday, both by reliable birders, very early. Also the first Yellow wagtails in and more Barn swallow and House martins.

phew im back, forgot this was a new thread i was still posting in the old one DOH lol.
Booked once again for sept 4th-11th cant wait, just love the place stopping once again at lago park in playa da muro.

I will be visiting Mallorca from 3rd to 10th April - a little early for the height of migration but due to attend a conference 8th-10th so no choice! I have visited Mallorca a few times in the past 20 years (though not for a while) and have seen all of the island specialties/endemics and visited most of the hotspots but looking for some advice on the following:

1. I have four target species (which I realise may not be do-able at the time of year but still...): bluethroat, alpine accentor, marsh sandpiper and ortolan bunting. I have a few days before the conference starts where I can travel round the island. Any tips gratefully received.
2. The conference is being held in Porto Petro and I will be staying in or around here (hopefully near Cala Mondrago). I will have a couple of hours each morning when the conference is on to look for migrants - where would be the best area nearby to check out?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Simon, all difficult birds!! Ortolan I have never seen but they do pass through, Alpine accentor will probably have gone by then, ditto Bluethroat but you should be ok for Marsh sand, I can let you know nearer the time. If your conference is at the Blau, I can see the place from here, sadly I am away then. Mondragó, you should get Red-rumped swallow, Tawny pipit, Woodchat, Thekla and Bee-eater. Mike

Thanks for that Mike.

I thought I might try Cabrera for Ortolan. Does the boat go to Cabrera on a Sunday and that early in the season?

I was in Ternelles Valley in mid-April many years ago and there was an Alpine Accentor I dipped out on at the head of the valley, so you never know! I'll just try some of the high spots and cross my fingers!

Gosney and Hearl advise Salobrar de Campos for Marsh Sandpiper - I asume they are around in early April?

Yes, the conference is in the Blau. Any specific spots nearby that are worth checking out?

Last edited:
Thanks for those links Martin. I see they do sail on a Sunday, which suits me.

Any idea whether it's essential to book online at that time of the year? I'm concerned about booking and then finding the weather is not suitable for the crossing.

Cheers

Simon

Phil saw 77 species at s'Albufera today, a great total for February. One Spanish wagtail a few Barn Swallows and a House martin were the only migrants though. Still very cold with snow on the mountains and a north wind for a few days more. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back