• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turdidae (1 Viewer)

Kathryn M.Everson, Jessica F.McLaughlin, Iris A.Cato, Maryanne M.Evans, Angela R.Gastaldi, Kendall K.Mills, Katie G.Shink, Sara M.Wilbu, Kevin Winker (2019).Speciation, gene flow, and seasonal migration in Catharus thrushes (Aves:Turdidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, Available online 19 July 2019, In Press, Accepted Manuscript.

Highlights

• Ultraconserved element (UCE) data resolve the phylogeny of migratory Catharus thrushes.

• A fully migratory clade of Catharus thrushes has undergone speciation with gene flow.

• Historic gene flow throughout Catharus has produced reticulate gene phylogenies.

• Heteropatric speciation has played an important role in the genus.

Abstract
New World thrushes in the genus Catharus are small, insectivorous or omnivorous birds that have been used to explore several important questions in avian evolution, including the evolution of seasonal migration and plumage variation. Within Catharus, members of a clade of obligate long-distance migrants (C. fuscescens, C. minimus, and C. bicknelli) have also been used in the development of heteropatric speciation theory, a divergence process in which migratory lineages (which might occur in allopatry or sympatry during portions of their annual cycle) diverge despite low levels of gene flow. However, research on Catharus relationships has thus far been restricted to the use of small genetic datasets, which provide limited resolution of both phylogenetic and demographic histories. We used a large, multi-locus dataset from loci containing ultraconserved elements (UCEs) to study the demographic histories of the migratory C. fuscescens-minimus-bicknelli clade and to resolve the phylogeny of the migratory species of Catharus. Our dataset included more than 2,000 loci and over 1,700 variable genotyped sites, and analyses supported our prediction of divergence with gene flow in the fully migratory clade, with significant gene flow among all three species. Our phylogeny of the genus differs from past work in its placement of C. ustulatus, and further analyses suggest historic gene flow throughout the genus, producing genetically reticulate (or network) phylogenies. This raises questions about trait origins and suggests that seasonal migration and the resulting migratory condition of heteropatry is likely to promote hybridization not only during pairwise divergence and speciation, but also among non-sisters.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1055790319302106

Hylocichla seems to be embedded in Catharus. To read absolutely ...... If sci-hub works in your country

Last edited:
As an aside - sounds like what a small child would say to their mother after an accident . . . "Mummy, help, panty pooey!" 3:)

I probably would have gone with Pan-Tepui instead of the single word version (Pantepui). I realize that sounds weird coming from someone Danish; we are known for combining words!

Niels

Hylocichla seems to be embedded in Catharus.
Hylocichla was used as the (only) outgroup to root an assumed monophyletic Catharus.
To test the reciprocal monophyly of Catharus and Hylocichla, some more distant outgroup taxon/taxa would be needed, which would root the [Catharus + Hylocichla] clade; in the absence of such a more distant outgroup, this reciprocal monophyly is an a-priori assumption of the analysis -- it is accepted based on external information, but not tested at all.

Matthew R. Halley. The misidentification of Turdus ustulatus Nuttall, and the names of the nightingale-thrushes (Turdidae: Catharus). Bull. B.O.C. 2019 139(3), (20 September 2019). https://doi.org/10.25226/bboc.v139i3.2019.a6

My summary after a very quick 'skim read', please feel free to correct me.

We currently have HBW with the newly split Russet-backed Thrush Catharus ustulatus, which is now already being proposed for a name change in this article as Pacific Nightingale-Thrush.

Boreal Nightingale-Thrush is proposed as the new name for C. swainsoni , Swainson's Thrush, have I got this about right?

The author identifies potential confusions arising from the current nomenclature. IMHO, as someone who travels as much as possible to see birds, this kind of thing is what causes the confusion! I am aware of the current trend which frowns upon naming birds after a person but why couldn't we just have Eastern and Western Swainson's Thrush?

Do both occur in Costa Rica, descriptions of the range of each species suggest that they do so like many people, I will now have to try and resolve the ID of birds I saw there?

Last edited:
Veery Nightingale-Thrush....? Maybe Veery dawn and dusk-gale, Veery are not known for singing at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back