• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where have all the Sparrows gone? - UK (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

United Kingdom
I'm used to having lots of sparrows (& others) at my feeders but over the last few days they seem to have disappeared. They would come in droves several times each day but now I'm lucky to see 1 or 2 each day.

Food is plentiful, as usual.

The strange thing is they just don't seem to be anywhere to be found.
The skies have Gull, Pigeons, Magpies, Crows in plenty, but just no Sparrows, anywhere!

Has anyone else noticed similar, and what about a reason??

Mystified |:(|

Heh, I sometimes wish mine would disappear. I have a visiting flock of about 30. They're eating four fatballs a day plus a load of sunflower hearts!

How far to the nearest arable crop fields? At this time of year they'll often fly out to these until the harvest is done, then they'll come back when all the grain has gone.

How far to the nearest arable crop fields? At this time of year they'll often fly out to these until the harvest is done, then they'll come back when all the grain has gone.
Quite some distance, I'm on the outskirts of town.

It's not that they just deserted me, it's so strange that I don't even see them flying around.

Seems they're returning, albeit slowly & not in the same numbers as previously (yet), but it's looking hopeful again :)

It has been noticeable that there have been a lot of sparrows in fields and hedgerows round here (Mid-Hampshire) over the past few weeks as the harvest has been got in. The recent wet weather seems to have put a stop to that. A nice day for a walk today but rained for 12 + hours yesterday, proper rain too!

We still have a number of sparrows visit our garden, but mostly restricted to three or four at a go rather than the 20+ flocks we get in spring

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back