• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Highlights around the patch this weekend included a Common Redstart, 3+ Pied Flys, Whinchat and Wheatear, plus Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Blackcap and Whitethroat etc.

The extreme coastal fringe was just too windy to harbour anything, with most birds, including the two pictured below, seeking out shelter just inland.

Simon

(P.S Hope to get my blog back up to date this week as my computer has been out of order for the last couple of weeks)

Attachments

• PiedFly1.jpg
    PiedFly1.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Redstart1.jpg
    Redstart1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 155
Cley Coastguards 5.30pm until 9pm.

Dragged myself along the A148 again! Had a quick look round the House on Hill at Blakeney and along the public footpath east of/adjacent but nothing more than a woodpigeon and a kestrel!

Got to Cley coastguards just berfore 5.30pm.

Along with Cley birders (RM, MG, PS, EM, SB, AJ) watched a juv Long Tailed Skua going east at 6pm. Manx Shearwater 6.55pm going west and a Black Tern going west at 7.55pm. Lots of banter, excellent company and a cracking evening. Several Arctic Skuas, dark and light phase chasing terns. Several Common Scoter going west, a grey plover, sandwich and common terns, someone saw an Arctic Tern, but I didn't, several gannets and Kittiwakes. I was so hoping to see a Storm Petrol, but not lucky with that, never mind!

Everyone else left by 8.15pmish. I stayed until 9pm - the ferocity of the sea severely increased and massive waves were rolling in by 9pm - I saw a large shearwater (honest!) go west in the semi darkness!!!!!!!!! and no it wasn't a gannet:eek!:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

After 6 attempts to load my picture of icterine on to here, I give up!
Keep making the picture smaller and getting the same message. Perhaps I am doing something wrong!

Your file of 606.2 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 395.3 KB for this filetype.

PS - Icterine pictures now on my blog

Last edited:
No thank god. I can never see the point in following up bird sightings of others. Better to get out and find your own birds then you have acheved something rather than joining the bus que.

Each to their own Tideliner, although I am not too sure what god has got to do with ito:D Oh I do love aceptance of other people's 'religion'!!o:)

No thank god. I can never see the point in following up bird sightings of others. Better to get out and find your own birds then you have acheved something rather than joining the bus que.

But surely it is helpful to know what is going on? So if there is a fall happening or a good movement of seabirds etc, you are aware of it and then can get out in the field to "find your own birds".

The sharing of news is not necessarily so that people can twitch.

At Winterton 5.30pm - 7.30pm yesterday:
1 Sooty Shearwater, 8 Manx Shearwater and 8 Arctic Skuas all north.
Cheers
Jono

Lesser Grey Shrike

For anyone in the area - birdguides - Lesser Grey Shrike at 2.18pm beyond Moss's pool on fence south of shingle bank before Kelling Hard car park. Good luck to those looking for it.
Cheers
Richard

But surely it is helpful to know what is going on? So if there is a fall happening or a good movement of seabirds etc, you are aware of it and then can get out in the field to "find your own birds".

The sharing of news is not necessarily so that people can twitch.
I suspect tideliner does not twitch other peoples birds. On that basis he has no obligation to release news on anything he finds. I do note that he provides detailed information on h buzzard sightings. Many birders with large self found lists are also big listers! What really annoys me are those birders who either do not release news of good birds on mainstream sites or do so many hours or days later! Many of these individuals twitch other peoples birds. Latest bou skyes warbler (453) Latest norfolk icky warbler (thanks penny).

Last edited:
You are right Black Kite I do not twitch birds found by others. If I see a group of birders twitching I usually walk the other way. Everyone to their own , but personally I feel we have a generation of birders who look on the pager service before they go birding instead of looking at the weather charts or seeking likely habitats. As anyone who has talked to me at the raptor watch points I will often point people in the right direction to find birds that I have seen . However I never put out information online on the pager service of any birds I have found unless they are at a wardened site that can cope with large numbers of birders or I might mention it after the birds have moved on. Time and time again I have found birds that have settled down for a long period , only for the news to leak out , twitching hoards to appear and the bird is frightened away.

I can give a prime example of this. There were two tundra race bean geese feeding with a flock of several hundred pink feet on a beet field south of Holkham. I spent many great afternoons watching them until someone put the news out. 20 odd birders descended on the place within an hour and to start with all was well as they stayed on the beet pad 300 yards off. Then two prats ( middle aged women who are forum members ) pushed past us to get a closer look. When I protested they answered " we have been watching geese for years and we know what we are doing ". They drove down a private track and of course put all the geese to flight and the beans left the field never to return. As they drove back past me I said to them " If you have been watching geese for so long its about time you knew what you were doing " , at which point I got an ear full from them as they drove off.

The times I have seen some lost rare warbler hemmed in by a hoard of twitchers leaves a bad taste in my mouth and personally is not what birdwatching is all about. Being out in the wilds alone , reading the weather and conditions , selecting the right habitat and then settling down quietly , out of sight studying the birds activity without it knowing I was close by is so much more rewarding than queuing up to tick a bird. Many a time I have crept away on hands and knees so as not to disturb it.

This morning I spend 4 hours watching 3 spoonbills feeding on a pool almost at my feet , coupled with 90 odd black tailed godwits , little stints and a host of other waders and wildfowl coupled with a young hobby chasing swifts that almost parted my hair. I crept away and they never knew I had been so close to them. Apart from a couple of distant walkers walking along the sea wall I had the place to myself. My kind of birdwatching .

Last edited:
Priorities

He better!!!;) - you have to book a few months in advance to get an appointment at my hairdressers so had it booked anyway - glad I did now!;)

Maybe the LGS will stay til tomorrow evening, if I am lucky!

First things first Penny. You've got to look to absolute best for Simon!!
Anyhow do hope the shrike stays for you till tomorrow.
Best wishes
Richard

You are right Black Kite I do not twitch birds found by others. If I see a group of birders twitching I usually walk the other way. Everyone to their own , but personally I feel we have a generation of birders who look on the pager service before they go birding instead of looking at the weather charts or seeking likely habitats. As anyone who has talked to me at the raptor watch points I will often point people in the right direction to find birds that I have seen . However I never put out information online on the pager service of any birds I have found unless they are at a wardened site that can cope with large numbers of birders or I might mention it after the birds have moved on. Time and time again I have found birds that have settled down for a long period , only for the news to leak out , twitching hoards to appear and the bird is frightened away.

I can give a prime example of this. There were two tundra race bean geese feeding with a flock of several hundred pink feet on a beet field south of Holkham. I spent many great afternoons watching them until someone put the news out. 20 odd birders descended on the place within an hour and to start with all was well as they stayed on the beet pad 300 yards off. Then two prats ( middle aged women who are forum members ) pushed past us to get a closer look. When I protested they answered " we have been watching geese for years and we know what we are doing ". They drove down a private track and of course put all the geese to flight and the beans left the field never to return. As they drove back past me I said to them " If you have been watching geese for so long its about time you knew what you were doing " , at which point I got an ear full from them as they drove off.

The times I have seen some lost rare warbler hemmed in by a hoard of twitchers leaves a bad taste in my mouth and personally is not what birdwatching is all about. Being out in the wilds alone , reading the weather and conditions , selecting the right habitat and then settling down quietly , out of sight studying the birds activity without it knowing I was close by is so much more rewarding than queuing up to tick a bird. Many a time I have crept away on hands and knees so as not to disturb it.

This morning I spend 4 hours watching 3 spoonbills feeding on a pool almost at my feet , coupled with 90 odd black tailed godwits , little stints and a host of other waders and wildfowl coupled with a young hobby chasing swifts that almost parted my hair. I crept away and they never knew I had been so close to them. Apart from a couple of distant walkers walking along the sea wall I had the place to myself. My kind of birdwatching .
Views accepted. I find the fieldcraft of some birders making me hide my head in shame. The behaviour of some birders on whalsay last year whilst watching a veery (destroying fences etc) made me feel very uncomfortable. One of the individuals concerned is about to become a tv star! I like looking for my own stuff. When i do find something good (not that often) i always release news as i go and see other peoples birds! That should be the principle - expect with rare breeders, private land and disturbance to other breeding birds. When it is managed well, everybody goes home happy!

Record shot of the Lesser Grey Shrike attached, a very stunning looking bird and made even better that it was in the Cley square!

Highlights of y'days (Mondays) seawatching from the patch included a Storm Petrel and a couple of Sooty Shears.

Simon

Attachments

• LGShrike1.jpg
    LGShrike1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 168
Our monarch goes cuckoo again at Gramboro’- an Arrowing experience

With time short, after a highly enjoyable spell grilling the largest British hover (Volucella zonaria) at Beeston Bog, I made my way east from the car park at Salthouse beach. Looking towards Muckleburgh, I saw that the birders were in several groups and, eventually, nearly by the radar station. I couldn’t do this.

Trying the bushes, I flushed something with a reddish cast to its uppers: that was all I had from the corner of my eye. Redstart ? Circulating said brambles several times, as if engaged in Wiccan practices, I managed to see nothing. OK, methought and plonked myself down on the slope, a little way from the brambles. After a while, two birders came along the path and, at the same moment, I saw a bird perched on one of the posts- the attached juvenile Cuckoo. That must have accounted for the ruddiness.

Some more red was visible in the sky, with the Red Arrows displaying their formidable skills, as part of Cromer Carnival.

Attachments

• 016psesm.jpg
    016psesm.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 097psesm.jpg
    097psesm.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 114psesm.jpg
    114psesm.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 138
How opportune. Photograhed one of these hover thingies while butter/dragonflying here in Lincolnshire yesterday and was going to spend time trying to ID it. So thanks for the pic and ID.

Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back