• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (44 Viewers)

Titchwell May 19th

Today's highlights

Temminck's stint - 1 on fresh marsh although very elusive
Montagu's harrier - probable male over reedbed @ 15:45
Red crested pochard - female with 10 young on fresh marsh - 1st breeding record for Titchwell
Hobby - 1 in dead trees, 2 west towards Thornham Point
Little gull - adult on fresh marsh
Lesser redpoll - 2 around feeders

I am now on leave so updates from the reserve will probably be limited until I am back.

Replacement Island Hide

Work will start on the demolition of the old hide on June 1st and we hope to have the new building in use by the middle of the month. While the work is carried out, there will be some disruption to the reserve, especially the fresh marsh, although we will to keep this to a minimum.
The new hide will feature a large glass ‘picture’ window, improved seating, larger viewing flaps and a green roof to help it blend into its surroundings.

For further information, please contact myself or Robert Coleman at Titchwell

Paul

Stunning views of the Woodchat Shrike (male) this evening on Blakeney Fresh Marsh (little trip after work!;)) sitting in a hawthorn bush along the track between the pond and the kissing gate for Friary Hills at 6.55pm-7.15pm. Got some half decent records shots too! Bumped into David N., Josh, Mark and Justin L.

Friary Hills - watched a barn owl hunting, marsh harrier sitting in bush, black tailed godwits, avocets+chicks, greylags+chicks etc.

Daukes Hide - Cley - 2 Spoonbills on Billy's Wash, 2 marsh harriers, 3 broods of greylags chicks+parents and also a stoat shot across which got the greylags hissing violently! plus usual waders.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Woodchat etc

A couple of pics of the Friary Hills Woodchat Shrike attached.

A nice flock of c40 Crossbills flying around Kelling Heath this pm (tues) and some rather cute very recently fledged Stonechats there too which had already been ringed.

Also pics attached of a Black-tailed Godwit from Daukes Hide, Cley and a singing Skylark at West Runton.

Simon

Attachments

• Woodchat0509.jpg
    Woodchat0509.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 96
  • Woodchat050901.jpg
    Woodchat050901.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Stonechat0509.jpg
    Stonechat0509.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 80
  • BlkTGodwit0509.jpg
    BlkTGodwit0509.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Skylark050901.jpg
    Skylark050901.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Chris

Sorry, got my time wrong. It was 1855 - five to seven!
It was prob a first summer and quite pale headed as they go.
Very likely to be the same bird.

Dawn

Hi, i will probably be heading down to norfolk next week for about five days. we are looking for a couple of bogey birds and raities, as most are. coud you please tell me if there is any monty's breeding, what are the chances of the collard pratincole, shrike and spoonbill staying until mon/ tues, and where would the best place for turtle dove? thanks, BM

Hi.

Had a drive out to go cley to see the Collared Pratincole tonight. Picked up on it fairly easily and was very pleased to see it from on North Scrape, my first one for the UK.

Had a bit of time to kill so headed to Morston to try to see the Woodchat Shrike. Unfortunately couldn't find it, nor could I find a very close reeling Grasshopper Warbler. However, I was very thrilled to see a Great White Egret fly right above me, another 1st for the UK. Hopefully the Woodchat will appear tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Billy.

and where would the best place for turtle dove? thanks, BM

If you're going to Titchwell then there's a site where I've never failed to see Turtle Doves, very close to the reserve.

When you come out of the reserve onto the main road turn left. Then take the first right, just before you enter Titchwell village. Drive up the hill until you reach the top, there's a set of farm buildings on your left and a small area in which you can park on the right. The concrete area near the barns is where to look for the Turtle Doves. There's also an excellent chance of Corn Buntings there.

Indeed - just like FH said, I saw a Turtle Dove and c30 Corn Bunts there a couple of weekends ago. The site is known as Choseley Barns, in case anyone's struggling to match the place with the name.

If you're going to Titchwell then there's a site where I've never failed to see Turtle Doves, very close to the reserve.

When you come out of the reserve onto the main road turn left. Then take the first right, just before you enter Titchwell village. Drive up the hill until you reach the top, there's a set of farm buildings on your left and a small area in which you can park on the right. The concrete area near the barns is where to look for the Turtle Doves. There's also an excellent chance of Corn Buntings there.

2 drake Garganeys showing well at Welney today, also a very obliging Sedge Warbler which I managed some photos of (below)

Picture 1 - Drake Garganey
Picture 2 - Grey Heron
Pictures 3 and 4 - Sedge Warbler

Bearing in mind they were all taken with a phone, I reckon some of them have come out OK, except the Garganey, which was a bit distant...

Attachments

• Garganey.jpg
    Garganey.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Grey Heron.jpg
    Grey Heron.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Sedge Warbler.jpg
    Sedge Warbler.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Sedge Warbler 2.jpg
    Sedge Warbler 2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 69
Purple Heron

Hi.

I managed to get cracking views of a Purple Heron tonight not too far from my home in Dereham. It wasn't reported because it is on private land. A mate of mine is lucky enough to be friendly with the land owner so I managed to get to see the bird.

My friend is going to keep an eye out in the local area for the bird and if it is seen outside the private land he will inform RBA.

I tried uploading a photo but it wouldn't upload. Can anyone give me advice?

Billy.

Purple Heron

Here is the purple heron I saw earlier. I had to crop it in order for it to upload. Not a great photo but nevertheless a record shot.

Attachments

• birds 072.jpg
    birds 072.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 115
  • birds 073.jpg
    birds 073.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 80
Here is the purple heron I saw earlier. I had to crop it in order for it to upload. Not a great photo but nevertheless a record shot.

very nice - I'm just down the road so am very jealous, I'm hoping it becomes 'available' at somepoint.

Spoonbills etc

A couple of Spotted Fly's on the patch today so things are still coming in.

A few pics attached of the Spoonbills at Titchwell yesterday, plus a rather lonely looking Pinkfoot which was on the freshmarsh.

Simon

Attachments

• Spoonbill4.jpg
    Spoonbill4.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Spoonbill5.jpg
    Spoonbill5.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Spoonbill6.jpg
    Spoonbill6.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Spoonbill7.jpg
    Spoonbill7.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 66
  • PinkFoot0509.jpg
    PinkFoot0509.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

thanks for the info on the tutle dove! i see the shrikes gone 0n rba so thats that question answered. what about monty's? is there a pair of them any where?
bm

Hi there

Enjoy your trip to Norfolk and ask other birders when you arrive here about seeing Montague's Harriers and I am sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction, but no one is going to answer on an open forum about the whereabouts of any rare breeding bird, nor should they.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back