• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

List of Optics Events (1 Viewer)

Chris Galvin

Both the Spotting Scopes Forum & The Binoculars forum are extremely busy forums with many subforums dedicated to the major optics manufacturers. Lots of different opinions are exchanged within the Binoculars Forum and lots of advice sought and dished out. However I think that it is only when you see many different binouclars together and are able to try them out are you able to make a purchasing decision that is right for you.

I would think that increasingly birders are buying binoculars not just from the the main High Street shops but increasingly from Optics Events out in the field. There is never any mention of any of these events other than Birdfair at Rutland on Birdforum. I'm sure that the reason is down to one of perceived advertising of specific brands on BF.

Optics events are listed in two of the major British birding magazines and wondered if there was any kind of demand from the binocular buying public to know where such events are being held around the country and having them listed here on Birdforum. Why only have it restricted to the UK? I'm sure there will be US birders who would be interested in seeing where and when the next Optics Event nearest to them is taking place.

With this in mind I have started this thread

Last edited:
Potteric Carr YWT Reserve 6th June 2010

Further to my post above I know that Yorkshire Wildlife Trust at Potteric Carr are holding a 'Spring Watch' Event on Sunday 6th June 2010 where they will be selling a range of binoculars near the entrance of the the reserve.

Idle Valley, Notts Wildlife Trust 19th June

The Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust will be holding an event Sunday 19th June at the Idle Valley Field Study Centre near Retford, Notts. This is part of the huge gravel pit complex that includes Lound.

Notts Wildlife Trust will be selling a range of binoculars and telescopes from the Field Study Centre 10:00 till 4:00pm

Last edited:
We keep a running list of UK events that are coming up so if the mods are OK for me to post a list occasionally, then this is the type of info we have:

Blashford Lakes - 8 June 2010
Dawlish Warren Nature Reserve - 10 June 2010
Warnham LNR - 12 June 2010
Rye Harbour Nature Reserve - 12 June 2010
College Lake Wildlife Centre - 13 June 2010
Lackford Lakes - 13 June 2010
Hauxley Nature Reserve - 13 June 2010

These are run variously by In Focus, LCE, Kay Optical and others so there will be a good mixture of brands and products on show at each one. Occasionally you get the chance to meet staff from the manufacturers/distributors too - although I'd avoid talking to those strange Opticron fellas... :)

Cheers, Pete

The Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust visitor centre at Attenborough Nature Centre are running an optics Event Saturday 26th June 2010. This event is to coincide with the Insects Identification course that is being run bt Attenborough Nature Centre. Event runs 10:00am till 4:00pm

Last edited:
Whisby Natural World Visitor Centre, near Lincoln is running an Optics Event Sunday 27th June 2010. A range of binoculars, telescopes and digiscoping equipment will be demonstrated at the visitor centre overlooking the lake. Event runs from 10:00am till 4:00pm

An update for the coming week or so:

Arundel WWT - 22 June 2010
Llanelli Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust - 26 June 2010
Pagham Harbour Local Nature Reserve - 27 June 2010
Broughton Hall Game Fair - 27 June 2010
Washington Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust - 27 June 2010
Westport Lake NR - 27 June 2010
Riverside Country Park - 29 June 2010

Note that Broughton is a game fair so it will be trade stands for those optics makers/retailers that attend.

Cheers, Pete

Optics Events in the US.

I'd liketa know where the US events are......

I know that we travel to a number of birding events in the US and often bring a pretty good inventory of optics to demo. You can see a list of the events we attend here.

At these events we often do seminars such as "An Introduction To Birding Optics" or "Digiscoping Fundamentals". The intro seminar is probably a bit on the basic side for most of the crowd that hangs out here on the forum.

Next event that I'm going to be doing is going to be in Corpus Christi this September, from the 24-26th. It's a gathering affiliated with the Hawkwatch at Hazel Bazemore county park.

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
www.eagleoptics.com

Help Please

Hi guys i'm new to this and don't knw how to post a new thread, sorry. I need advice on whether to go for opticron, bushnell, barska:
1.BUSHNELL natureview birding bins 8x42 £79
3.BARKSA 10X50 x-trail £55 (£45 AMAZON)
4.OPTICRON COUNTRYMAN MC 8x42 £104
2.BUSHNELL WATERPROOF H20 10x42 |£80 (£70 AMAZON)

The bins are for a safari in Africa so need to view in dawn and dusk.

Thanks for your help.

This Sticky is just for listing Optics Events in the UK and US, please post this question in the main Binoculars Forum Where you will no doubt get many helpful replies.

Mods: can this post be moved to the main Binocular Forum and my post replying removed

Ta

Stanwick Lakes Visitor Centre

The Rockingham Forest Trust Stanwick Lakes Visitor Centre near Rushden, Northamptonshire are having an Optics Event on Sunday 1st August where they will be selling a range of Binoculars, Telescopes and Digiscoping equipment. Event Runs 10:00am till 4:00pm

The Scottish Game Fair is on this coming weekend at Scone Palace, near Perth, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Most of the Optics suppliers will have a presence at this show. Zeiss & Swarovski will have trade stands displaying their binoculars, scopes and rifle sights in Gunmakers Row. Opticron have a presence within the the camera retailer Ffordes of Inverness. Lamberts of Lancaster also show at this event too

Next installment from me:

Blashford Lakes, Hampshire, 06/07/2010
Rye Harbour Nature Reserve, Sussex, 10/07/2010
Hanningfield Reservoir, Essex, 11/07/2010
Portland Bird Observatory, Dorset, 11/07/2010
Dinton Pastures Country Park, Berkshire, 11/07/2010
Seaton Marshes, Devon, 13/07/2010
Abberton Reservoir NR, Essex, 17/07/2010
Alton Water, Suffolk, 17/07/2010
Great Eccleston Show, Lancashire, 17/07/2010
Whisby Nature Park, Lincolnshire, 18/07/2010
Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory, Kent, 18/07/2010
Bough Beech Nature Reserve, Kent, 18/07/2010

Cheers, Pete

Most of the main binocular names will have a presence at the CLA Game Fair at Ragley Hall in Warwickshire 24th,25th & 26th of July. Zeiss & Swarovski will have their stands on Gunmakers Row. Opticron will have a presence within the Binocularhouse.com (Sherwoods) show stand which will be located directly opposite Entrance 'A'.

Opticron will be present on the Friday & Saturday ONLY

The Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust will be displaying a range of binoculars, telescopes & digiscoping equipment at their Gibraltar Point Reserve Sunday 26th July from 10:00am till 4:00pm

The Nottinghamshire Wildllife Trust Reserve Attneborough Nature Centre is celebrating 5 years since the Visitor Centre opened and they have lots of events scheduled as part of the celebrations. They will be having an Optics event on Sunday 15th August and will have a range of Binoculars &Telescopes for sale and a Digiscoping demonstration. Event runs from 10:00 till 4:00pm

Also on site a bird ringing demonstration

11th Meeting of Binoculars History Society: Vancouver-WA

Meeting Announcement
The 11th meeting of the Binocular History Society
September 3-6, 2010
Hilton Hotel and Conference Center
Vancouver, Washington (USA not Canada)

It's a great opportunity to meet a diverse group of expert collectors, restorers and historians of binoculars from all over the world. On site, you will see the largest vintage Nikon binoculars collection, including 180mm binoculars mounted on the Japanese naval ships during WW2. You will also get to see Jack Kelly's wide variety of vintage binoculars collection: Busch, Goerz, Hensoldt, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon. The guest speakers include: Jack Kelly, Peter Abrahams, Jürgen Laucher, et al.

Please contact Jack Kelly ([email protected]) to reserve your place. Do not miss this opportunity (especially if you are from Pacific NW :)) to see some of the world’s most scenic country through some of the most historic binoculars ever made.

-Co-sponsored by Zen-Ray Optics

Attachments

• BHS Vancouver Birders Announcement August 6.pdf
    147.7 KB · Views: 336
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back