• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenlet from Peruvian lowlands (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Rubbish photo alert! Continue reading at your own risk!

This is another one from the Yanachaga Chemillen NP, in Central Peru, elevation about 400 masl.

The common greenlet over there was the lemon-chested (see photo 1), with its really obvious yellow band across the chest, contrasting with the white belly.

But on a couple of occasions I saw another, high in the canopy, of which I only managed to get these crappy photos.
This combination of grey head and neck contrasting with a yellow belly match some of the photos I've seen online of dusky-capped greenlet, though the illustration in the Princeton book for Peru is rather different. I can't find another bird that matches.
What say y'all?

Many thanks in advance.

Thibaud

Attachments

• f28573184.jpg
    f28573184.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • f36069888-2.jpg
    f36069888-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • f36137472-2.jpg
    f36137472-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
I looked at that one, but the Schulenberg book gives it as occurring between 2000 and 3100 masl. Granted, those elevation ranges are not meant to be definitive, but it does indicate a pretty firmly Andean bird, which would be quite unexpected at 400 meters. Plus, the birds in most of Peru (south of the Marañon) are said to have a black bill.

I looked at that one, but the Schulenberg book gives it as occurring between 2000 and 3100 masl. Granted, those elevation ranges are not meant to be definitive, but it does indicate a pretty firmly Andean bird, which would be quite unexpected at 400 meters. Plus, the birds in most of Peru (south of the Marañon) are said to have a black bill.

Not a bush-tanager. As to what it might be...

...Could be the greenlet. Not sure there's enough in the pics to be sure

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back