Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Village Creek Drying Beds, Dallas - Harris's Sparrow

Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 21:21   #1
The Deskbound Birder

Village Creek Drying Beds, Dallas - Harris's Sparrow

Hi All

I am visiting Dallas in December on business. I am keen to see Harris's Sparrow and see that the Village Creek Drying Beds seem to be a reliable spot for them (already up to 6 in November on ebird). I have had a look at the site on Google and is the access to the site over the gate off NW Green Oaks BLVD? Is this a public site or is it private as on Google Street View it looks as if it might be private. Any tips on birding this site and where to see Harris Sparrow once inside would be greatly appreciated. Or, is there a better site in Dallas for them, perhaps where they might come to a feeder?
Thanks in advance.
Simon
Old Monday 18th November 2019, 18:55   #2
hookem2010

It is run by the city but I think it is generally open during daylight hours. If you look it up in the city (or tarrant county?) website it may tell you for sure. I always just went on the weekends but have never been during the week. Not sure I saw one there, but I'm sure they are around. I lived in Fort Worth for the last year, until a few months ago, and reliably found them in Northwest community park in blue mound and marine creek lake pretty much every time I went. If those locations aren't too far out of the way and you want more info, let me know.
Old Monday 18th November 2019, 19:27   #3
The Deskbound Birder

Hello

Thanks for the response. I am staying in the centre near to the Dallas World Aquarium so I think around 50 minutes from NW Community Park. I can see on eBird that they are regularly seen at the park, where are Blue Mound and Marine Creek within the park - would be good to have this as a back up site if the Village Creek Drying Beds fail to produce.
Old Tuesday 19th November 2019, 00:18   #4
hookem2010

At marine creek lake, you can park either behind the high school or community college depending on when you get there. A paved trail goes around the lake, so if you park on the east side, head north. A bridge crosses the lake at the north end and I would usually see them within 100 yards before or after the bridge.
At NW community park, a trail runs a loop along the south side of the lake and then along the prairie. You can usually find them in the SW corner of the lake, near where the trail turns away from the lake. There is a little dirt path toward the lake and this is a good place for them. Then, near the SW corner of the loop, there is another little trail that goes into the prairie a bit and past a few small stands of trees and bushes. This is another really good spot. Good luck!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3fbb8ac507.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ada00dd597.jpg
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: