• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Wagtails - Lemony Heaven! (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

Yes, I was at it again!
On my belly in amongst the local wildlife.This time I was in amongst the cattle too!
Our 'spring crop' of Yellow Wagtail's had arrived,in abundance,so Saturday afternoon found me wrapped in an exceedingly warm and uncomfortable two square metres of hide netting doing an inch by inch belly crawl towards the foraging flock of a hundred or so 'golden nuggets'.
These feathered buttercups were far too busy catching flies amongst the grazing cattle to notice me and,after a slow 15 minutes,I was in amongst 'em.
You would think,with their over bright,springtime yellow plumage, that they would be an easy target for any passing bird of prey.When you watch them at a distance,amongst the cattle,in the short grass, you can see that nature isn't realy that extravagant and that striking yellow isn't just for show!Through the shimmering heat haze,above the lush young grass shoots, they realy do look like a patch of buttercups or dandelions waving in the wind.
The video footage and photo's that I shot while I was there just don't compare to the experience of having these brightly coloured gems only inches away,even landing on the back of my legs, picking flies from my camera lens, and using my head as a lookout post.
Can birding get any better? At the time,I,of course,would say no!But you know birding and nature watching, every adventure is different, and a new surprise and thrill is allways on the cards.
All I can say is that the hour of intimacy with these little beauties was better than sleeping with a nest full of baby rats any day of the week.And what weather!It was scorching,and hardly a cloud in the sky.
There was plenty of other nature stuff going on while I filmed the waggies,but I was too transfixed to notice much.
I did hear a Curlew calling from somewhere,and a few Redshank were displaying and calling over their nesting territories. A stunning Brown Hare scuttled past me as I lay on the ground, and I did take a hasty photo as he raced past and the male Shoveler,that left the river to have a bit of a preen and sunbathe,just over to my left, was just asking to be photographed.
The local Yellow Wagtail bonanza is one of my favourite migration events and,luckily,we get it twice a year,April and August.
I've added the link to my BirdforumTV video of the Yellow Wagtails, if anybody is interested enough to have a look.
Joe

Yellow Wag video :- http://www.birdforum.tv/action/viewvideo/2055/Yellow_Wagtail___f__flavissima/?ref=cheersm8

Attachments

• BadHareDay.jpg
    BadHareDay.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 23
  • YellowWag1.jpg
    YellowWag1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 19
  • shovel.jpg
    shovel.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 20
  • YellowWag2.jpg
    YellowWag2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 24
The video footage and photo's that I shot while I was there just don't compare to the experience of having these brightly coloured gems only inches away,even landing on the back of my legs, picking flies from my camera lens, and using my head as a lookout post.

I am very, very, very green! I love wagtails and have yet to see Yellows so the thought of having them running around and landing on you is just amazing - totally jealous, you jammy so-and-so! :t:

I'm with Paul on this one, Joe! What an amazing experience for you. The video shows exactly what you mean about them being almost camouflaged amongst the grass and the cattle.

I don't think that I could manage the belly crawl to see them, but given half a chance I might be tempted!!!

Thanks for sharing a wonderful sight with us.

Great experience and beautiful shots, Joe. Your Yellow Wags are from the subspecies flavissima - I haven't seen such birds here (the most common subspecies here are: flava, feldegg and hybrids flava x feldegg).

Oh my....I'm in lurve!!!!! o:) Absolutely EXQUISITE pics there :t:

I haven't seen a yellow wagtail in oh, it must be nearly 4 or 5 years :-C They just seem to be getting trickier to cath up with in Northumberland nowadays......or I'm just a rubbish birder ;) :-O Determined to see some this year.....perhaps crawling on my tummy amongst a load of coos is what I'll have to do - the folk in my town think I'm a nutter anyway so I may as well validate it ;) :-O

Fabulous video, Joe & the photo's. I saw Yellow Wagtails like that years ago at a reservoir at Leek Staffs. We do get the odd one or two here sometimes migrating, but apart from that day in Leek, I have never seem so many together at the same time. Your video reminded me of that day all those years ago. You are so lucky to live where you can see them in such numbers & get so close too. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you for your comments everyone.
We certainly are gifted with bird life in the UK, and the colourful plumage of lot's of them,like goldfinches, these yellow wags, our cheery chaffinches, and our super yellowhammers, put a lot of those so called 'exotic' tropical birds, in the shade.

In a word ... AWESOME!!! LOVE your description of your experience. I was on my belly with the cattle too!

Does it get any better than that?!?!?!?

Thank you for you replies Pam and Kits.
Funny thing about birding experiences like this is that we don't really appreciate how special they are until after we get home. I think, at the time, we are so engrossed in whats going on that we don't even think about the uniqueness of it all.

I agree totally. Sometimes it also takes someone else to comment on it for you to realise - I've had that a few times.

Hi Joe,

I know that I'm late on this but had to congratulate you on those shots; all four of them.

That's 3 species there that I haven't caught up with this year, in fact haven't seen Yellow Wags for a couple of years now. Great shot of the Hare and I do like Shovelers, for me one of the more spectacular looking drakes.

Bill

Well if I wasn't feeling depressed this morning I certainly am NOW!!!!! :C Despite a good night's sleep I felt so low this morning that I decided to just curl up on the sofa with a good book.....and promptly fell asleep until 2pm :eek!:
I've just checked a few local Northumberland birder sites and guess what turned up at Cresswell Pond, which is where I like to go a lot.......only a male Black-headed Wagtail!!!!!!!! Apparently there were six other normal yellows too! :smoke: It's enough to drive a girl to drink.....especially as I'm stuck at work fropm 9 - 5.30 tomorrow and the earliest I can get to Cresswell is Tuesday afternoon!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :storm::stuck:|!|:storm:

http://boulmerbirder.blogspot.com/

Thank you Bill. I agree with you about Shovelers, they are real beauties!

Gill, fingers crossed the waggies will still be around on Tuesday, especially if there are any cattle or horses nearby.

Oh life is good again :loveme: Popped along to Cresswell after I finished at 1pm today and saw FOUR gorgeous male Yellow Wagtails straight away in the cow field next to the pond o:) Absolutely beeootiful :king: Had a common sandpiper too, my first ever Jack Snipe in front of the hide *Lifer No. 203* (and 5 other birders to explain to me the finer points of it's id so I'll know what to look for in the future) AND.....a pair of Garganey and 77 Black-tailed Godwit at Druridge Pools :t:

VERY GOOD DAY :king:

Oh life is good again :loveme: Popped along to Cresswell after I finished at 1pm today and saw FOUR gorgeous male Yellow Wagtails straight away in the cow field next to the pond o:) Absolutely beeootiful :king: Had a common sandpiper too, my first ever Jack Snipe in front of the hide *Lifer No. 203* (and 5 other birders to explain to me the finer points of it's id so I'll know what to look for in the future) AND.....a pair of Garganey and 77 Black-tailed Godwit at Druridge Pools :t:

VERY GOOD DAY :king:

A Very Good day? Gill!!! It was a stupendously brilliant one!
What fantastic birds to see all in one go! Glad you got your waggies.
And Garganey,And Jack Snipe!
I bet you are still grinning from ear to ear!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back