• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2014 (1 Viewer)

Probable Short Toed Eagles from the pool this morning (got photos but had to get out of pool to do so) and highly possible Booted Eagle (no photos).

Thought I had an Egyptian Vulture on the road up to Frigiliana on Saturday but I was highly focused on driving on the wrong side of the road so couldn't be certain.

Rich

C20 probable Black Kites over the mountain behind the villa this evening. Will post long distance photos when I get home.

Rich

Serin, Spotted Flycatchers and Woodchat Shrikes whilst out for an hour with the boys this morning. Now too hot so will retire to the pool for the rest of the day8-P

Rich

Headed up the coast today. Picked up Cattle Egrets enroute. Had a look at Punta Entinas Sabinar which looked to have serious potential. Unfortunately I couldn't find a spot close enough to the saline lagoon and the heat haze was intense. Clearly visible were the Flamingos, Egrets and a Kestrel put up a Sandpiper species. On the beach side was a large tern which I struggled to ID. I'll post a photo in the ID section when I get home. Also here was what I took to be an Andouins Gull and Crested Lark. Again, I'll post an ID request for the gull when I get home.

Had an "enjoyable" drive home. Concentrating on avoiding the locals who often indicate one way and then go in the opposite direction! Anyway, out of the chain of 6 cars all driving at the same speed I was the only one flagged over by the local plod and slapped with an on the spot fine of 50Euros:-@

Mine was clearly a hire car where the others appeared to be locals - old SEATs etc. He even said I should drive more slowly whilst on holiday. I have no issue with paying my fine if I'm caught speeding but picking the obvious tourist out of the group grated a tad:storm:

I'm still unsure how I actually managed to break the speed limit in my 1.2 Fabia :-O:-O. I religiously kept a close eye on the speed limit on the way home and as a result was overtaken by almost every driver on the Costa Del Sol it seemed.

Anyhow, tomorrow's another day. Heading to Gibraltar on Thursday so hopefully will pick up some more ticks on the way.

Rich

Should have added that Punt Entinas Sabinar is in Almerimar, and that row upon row of white material green houses are a complete eye sore all over the Costa Del Sol.

Rich

Some snaps taken from the recent vacation:

Attachments

• IMG_5954.JPG
    IMG_5954.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6219.JPG
    IMG_6219.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6363.JPG
    IMG_6363.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 33
The villa we rented. Very comfortable for two families. Also the mean machine which from suffered terminal understeer on the limit:eek!:

Attachments

• IMG_5812.JPG
    IMG_5812.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6253.JPG
    IMG_6253.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 37
Whilst birding down in the valley and watching a flock of Serin I suddenly heared deep woofing coming from behind me. I'd already noted there were no fences around the properties here and feared the secluded property there may have guard dogs protecting it's crop. On turning around I was confronted by these two. One can only guess at the damage they were causing to the environment:-O

Attachments

• IMG_6355.JPG
    IMG_6355.JPG
    462.2 KB · Views: 34
Some more mammals:

Attachments

• IMG_6307.JPG
    IMG_6307.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6309.JPG
    IMG_6309.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6311.JPG
    IMG_6311.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 35
I'd thoroughly recommend this place to eat if you're staying in the area: www.elacebuchal.es/pagina/en/2013/02/our-restaurant/

The road there resembles something out a WRC stage but it's well worth it. The food is simple, and delicious. The service is great and the owner is very friendly:t:. The photo below is from the approach road and the restaurant is centre right.

Attachments

• IMG_6377.JPG
    IMG_6377.JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 33
Lovely morning wandering around Newport Wetlands Centre and Goldcliff. Cracking view of a very dark Marsh Harrier but couldn't locate the Beardies again. Added the following:

175. Ruff
176. Yellow Wagtail (+)

Rich

Plenty of Black Tailed Godwits, some Bar Tailed Godwits, Knott and some Ruff at Penclacwydd this morning. From there it was up to Lisvane Reservoir in Cardiff to look for the reported Black Necked Grebes. Unfortunately the almost summer plumaged bird was not present but it was still good to see one. It's been a few years since I've seen one of the these. I presume the Wigeon had hopped over the fence and not been blown in by Bertha;)

177. Black Necked Grebe (+)

Attachments

• IMG_6509.JPG
    IMG_6509.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6550.JPG
    IMG_6550.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6552.jpg
    IMG_6552.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: