• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparison between Leica UV 8x20, Zeiss Terra 8x25 (1 Viewer)

Speaking of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory, I was comparing the specs to the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25, and couldn't see a significant difference. I checked the 23 reviews of the Terra at B&H, and where B&H reviewers tend to be extremely picky, they were extremely favorable to the Terra 8x25.
Be wary of reviews. VERY wary! $100.00 binocular's on Amazon.com have 5 star reviews because the reviewers have never had an alpha binocular. I have had both the Terra and the Victory and there is a significant difference. A good rule of thumb which is better in most cases than all the reviews you can shake a stick at is "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR." LOL.

Be wary of reviews. VERY wary! $100.00 binocular's on Amazon.com have 5 star reviews because the reviewers have never had an alpha binocular. I have had both the Terra and the Victory and there is a significant difference. A good rule of thumb which is better in most cases than all the reviews you can shake a stick at is "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR." LOL.

As a long-time reviewer myself, and extensive reader of reviews before purchasing SOTA products, I was very careful with this one comparing the two Zeiss's. And so that's why I asked for more info here, to see if anyone had experience with both.

Speaking of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory, I was comparing the specs to the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25, and couldn't see a significant difference. I checked the 23 reviews of the Terra at B&H, and where B&H reviewers tend to be extremely picky, they were extremely favorable to the Terra 8x25.

As a long-time reviewer myself, and extensive reader of reviews before purchasing SOTA products, I was very careful with this one comparing the two Zeiss's. And so that's why I asked for more info here, to see if anyone had experience with both.

I've handled a good number of the 8x25 Terra. I don't use them regularly myself, but I've bought them as a kid's bin. I own and regularly use the 8x25 Victory. I've written posts on BirdForum reviewing each and comparing them, so you could check the archive and read those threads. The Victory is an outstanding binocular compared to other pocket bins and even some 8x30 or 8x32 models. It is a very capable birding binocular. It is _far_ superior to the 8x25 Terra in build, design, handling, and optics. The Terra is OK as a pocket bin but all-in-all it is a mediocre birding binocular. For $200 on sale, it makes a good kid's bin (tight minimum IPD, easy to reach focus, very close focus).

--AP

Dale,

The numerous 4 and 5 star reviews of the Terra are undoubtedly warranted, again considering the price and I really appreciate my Terras. But in your post #20 you mention you did not see a "significant difference in the specs" vis-a-vis the Victory. In terms of the specs per se, the 390'+ FOV of the Victory versus the good but standard 357' FOV of the Terra is in actual use a game changing difference all on its own. Moreover, regarding the several other individual strengths of the VP, I can only resort to that cliche "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts". Especially since you wear glasses I recommend you consider buying and trying the 8x25 VP since they are not available for you to test otherwise and returning in the event they do not work for you.

Mike

I have the Leica UV 10x25 and Zeiss Terra 8x25. The Leica wins in just about every area for me. The experience with the Leica doesn't feel too far from a mid-size binocular to me where the Terra feels very constraining. I think it has to do with the excessive ER of the Zeiss--it has pretty long eye cups and I need them all the way out to eliminate blackouts. I also much prefer the warm tint of the Leica compared to the very cool Zeiss.

Glad you got this sorted and thanks for reporting back. I wonder why they exchanged for the Silverline. Is back-stock of this bin dwindling?

--AP

They told me that at the repair center, they did not have any blackline in stock. I asked whether the silverline would exhibit more flare, and they told me it should be the same. And indeed, I do not have any problems with flare. I am actually liking the silverline quite a bit.

I see now B&H has blackline in stock, but earlier this year, it was not available. They might produce them in small batches, that sometimes run out.

In any case, I am very happy with my 8x20 silverline; now I understand all the praise it receives!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back