• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta with no box?? (1 Viewer)

A dealer in New York has the Meopta S2 for sale at $1799 with "no box". Not "open box" but "no box". The story told to me was that the dealer bought a batch straight from the factory this way. It sounded legitimate to me until I started thinking a little more about it.

Could it be that these are Quality Control "rejects" and rather than tossing them, they are selling them this way to a dealer? I've just never heard of such a thing before.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Perhaps ask Meopta directly whether these are top grade.

I have bought white box cameras that I think were actually 2nd. grade.

If in doubt, I would buy a normal boxed Meopta.

Regards,
B.

id run from Meopta, I got two "new" binos, the Meostar Diopter didn't work , and the Meopro eyecups were poorly fit wiggled all over the place

I should think you were unlucky with your Meopta experiences. I’ve owned two of their bins and both were very sturdy well made items. I still own one.
I wouldn’t run from them. QC issues happen for all brands. Just make sure you have a good return policy and or warranty in place.

Last edited:
I would look at who the dealer is in NY, if it's Cameraland NT, you are safe. They sell to many binoculars to risk doing anything that will hurt their reputation. I own 2 pair of Meopta bino's and I can't say enough positives about them. My MeoStar B1's are better than my other Euro bino's that cost 2.5x more! I loaned them to a friend and he now owns the MeoStar 10 and 12X bino's. His Swar's are now his "guest" binos!

I would look at who the dealer is in NY, if it's Cameraland NT, you are safe.

You nailed it! Just weird they don't have a box to me.....

I'm waffling between a like new, but used Vortex, the Nikon Monarch, or something else. Ugh.

Thanks for the information though.

Marcus

For used photographic optics, at similar prices, having the box with all the original documentation could also raise the price up to +40%. Therefore, if the product is free from defects, it is actually new from the factory with an official guarantee, you have a discount of at least 30-35% on the full price and the seller is reliable, in my opinion it is worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back