• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x42 model history- when did the tech start to plateau? (1 Viewer)

I would look at the local stores for the used versions of the Leica BA/BNs and even the 2012-2015 Trinovids, you could get lucky. The hunt is actually fun also.
There is a 8X42 2012-2015 for sale on the auction site in the UK for a bit over $900, however a bit more than you are willing to spend.

Andy W.

Billy, much good advice has been given above, but to answer you question directly, and specifically this part:-

'Perhaps the Trinovids >200X have a similar spec to the Uktravids from 199X? Perhaps Generation Y of the trinovid very nearly matched the Ultravid from the same time period?'

I would suggest looking out for a 2012-15 Trinovid. This particular Trinovid was only made for a short time before it was 'superseded' by the cheaper (made in Japan) Trinovid HD, but it's widely been reported that it had the same optical quality as the Ultravid or even Ultravid HD. See this review from birdwatching.com:-

https://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2012highendbins/review.html

There are some differences that separate it from the Ultravid (as noted in the review) - slightly smaller FOV, longer minimum focus distance and slightly heavier, but in my opinion the 2012-15 Trinovid is a bit of an overlooked Leica gem. I have the 8x42 and it stands up very well indeed against my 7x42 UVHD+ and Noctivid 10x42. They may be hard to come across, but if you see one I highly recommend giving it a try!

The discussion here is well done, and I have owned several examples mentioned. First off the 2012-15 Trinovid 8x42 is similar to the original
Ultravid. The Ultravid HD is better, both with HD glass and it has better coatings, so it is brighter with some snap to the view.
I have also had the new Trinovid HD, and found it to be well built, maybe
Japan, and was better optically than the 2012-15 Trinovid, as in brigher with
better sharpness. The UV 8x42 is easily the best of these 3 mentioned.

The OP should go back several years and review some earlier threads on all of these binoculars and comparisons.
Time well spent.
I have also spent some time with a 10x50 Trinovid 10x50 BA, I found it just
very nice with its optics, just a great combination, the 50mm objective does
offer that extra brightness that is desirable, and the construction of the
Trinovid BA and BN are legendary in soundness.

Good luck with your search, condition is the big thing with older Leica's as well as any used optic. Some have been around the world a time or 2.

Jerry

The discussion here is well done, and I have owned several examples mentioned. First off the 2012-15 Trinovid 8x42 is similar to the original
Ultravid. The Ultravid HD is better, both with HD glass and it has better coatings, so it is brighter with some snap to the view.
I have also had the new Trinovid HD, and found it to be well built, maybe
Japan, and was better optically than the 2012-15 Trinovid, as in brigher with
better sharpness. The UV 8x42 is easily the best of these 3 mentioned.

The OP should go back several years and review some earlier threads on all of these binoculars and comparisons.

Time well spent.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I can agree with your assessment of the 2012-15 Trinovid vs the Ultravid and Ultravid HD (although I only have an UVHD+ to compare it to). The Ultravid HD(+) is also to my eyes brighter with more 'snap' to the view (although, again, mine is the 7X42 UVHD+, so one would expect it to be brighter). However, when I purchased my Trinovid 2012-15 I compared it directly with the Trinovid HD (albeit only in and just outside a store) and found (personally) the Trinovid HD to have the inferior view.

As you say, this subject has been discussed at length here, and I agree that the OP would benefit from reading those discussions. There were two main threads IIRC. Here are the links:-

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=315993

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=331376

I will just say that although I haven't re-read those threads in their entirety, I think that it would be fair and accurate to say that the consensus was that (for reasons that varied from person to person) the 2012-15 Trinovid was the better binocular. Indeed, my memory impression of the second thread, particularly, was that you were one of the very few people who expressed a clear preference for the Trinovid HD.

I have no desire to open up that particular discussion agin, but I thought that I would express my opinion and provide the links for the potential benefit of the OP. FWIW I am still thoroughly enjoying my 2012-15 Trinovid 8X42 which I find to be a great compliment to my 7X42 UVHD+ and 10X42 Noctivid.

One can skip to the middle of page 5 on that first thread, because the rest is just the usual kibitzing before anyone has actually seen the new Trinovid HD. The second thread is also on balance more confusing than enlightening with varying opinions on which Trinovid is "better" optically and how. In any case there can be no dispute that the 2011-15 model is the better built bino.

I think Jerry just mentioned this in passing, not meaning to reopen that debate here. And Billy has other models to choose from as well, going back to BA/BNs, depending on what he may find at a good price.

Edit: I just remembered to mention about the BNs, which were produced for some time, that those with serial numbers above 145xxxx are said to have improved coatings.

Last edited:
I think Jerry just mentioned this in passing, not meaning to reopen that debate here. And Billy has other models to choose from as well, going back to BA/BNs, depending on what he may find at a good price.

Absolutely, and it's not my intention that it should be opened either, I just thought that the 2012-15 Trinovid might be of interest to the OP because it seems to fit his requirements and question, specifically; 'Perhaps the Trinovids >200X have a similar spec to the Ultravids from 199X? Perhaps Generation Y of the trinovid very nearly matched the Ultravid from the same time period?'

Jerry isn't alone in thinking that the Trinovid HD is optically better than the 2012-15 model, and the OP should try them both if he is considering the earlier model. There is of course lots of other choice as you point out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back