• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Florida, best pocket field guide (1 Viewer)

tribsa

Birding at Disney Florida, Please can anyone tell me the best field guide to take to Florida, will be staying at disneys Port Orleans resort.

Thanks Steveo for the quick reply, I think I shall get the Sibley guide, the eastern one.
I will be staying in a disney hotel with the family and thought it would be nice to get out early in a morning and do a bit of birding before the the hectic day starts in the theme parks.

Just FYI on the Disney property for birding...the boat that takes you from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney cruises down a canal network through the Treehouse and Saratoga Springs resort backyards, and into the main lake of Downtown Disney. It's a great boatride on small pontoon boats with small passenger capacity and are slow moving - through the ride you will see quite a few birds...usually myriad herons, egrets, ibises, cormorants, and anhingas, as well as the occasional perching birds. You'll likely see quite a few of these on property too around Port Orleans resort. In fact, throughout the Disney World resort area, the boat transportation (all free) is one of the best way to see the more wilderness areas on grounds, and usually the hotel docks are at the ends of the various resorts, with boardwalks or sidewalks through nicely forested or tree canopy areas with good selections of birds. Disney's Wilderness Lodge is a good choice - it can be accessed via boat from Magic Kingdom, right to the cypress canopy...walking the pathways between Disney's Boardwalk resort and Disney's Hollywood Studios, which run parallel to the river all the way, and the walking/exercise trail between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Campground, which is just over a mile through the woods...usually easy spotting of cardinals, blue jays, scrub jays, warblers, grackles, and the occasional hawk or eagle. Fort Wilderness Campground has many wading birds along the lakefront, as well as wild turkeys on occasion. Spotting is pretty good on Disney property, actually!

Thanks Zackiedawg for the information on birding in the disney area, i shall have to see if I can get a map of the disney walkways and footpaths. One bird I would love to see is the Swallow Tailed Kite, is this possible whilst in the disney area and also Woodpeckers and Humming Birds.

Regards Barry

Hummingbirds are there on occasion, but are a little harder to catch on property. Many of the Disney resorts have bird houses and feeders throughout the hotel grounds.

I have often seen, and heard, woodpeckers on property, so I'd venture those are something quite likely to see - usually the red-bellied and pileated are most common. Swallow Tailed Kites are definitely around Disney property, notably during summer...you never know where you're going to spot them. I've seen them on occasion over Epcot lake, at Coronado Springs resort, and randomly notice their silhouette in the skies here and there.

Thanks Zackiedawg,

I shall be there in 12 days time and I'm really looking forward to it, I shall be up and about early in the mornings, I shall have to rest when I get back and to work Ha Ha.

Regards Barry

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back