• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Optics (1 Viewer)

Torview

Does anyone here use this brand, I`m going to upgrade the scope this year, these are`nt cheap but I`v never come across one or read a post on one.

Maybe you`ve tried Kite binoculars ?

If you do a little search I believe one of the kite models was referenced in part of one of the Theron/avian/Bosma-Nikon 82 Ed clone threads. One of there models, I believe, is based off of the Bosma scope and was mentioned very highly by those who used it.

Thanks Frank,

I`m going to take my time on this purchase and there`s a good few to try yet inc the much vaunted Kowa, its just the Kite 80 hd seems ignored on this forum so far.

I do prefer the helical focuser over a thumb wheel at the moment, but that might change with more reviewing.

I am leaning towards 80mm up.

Some more information here http://www.ksp80.com/slide/specs_eng.html I believe that the scope was reviewed in Birdwatch magazine a while ago, and compared very favourably to Zeiss/Swarovski/Leica/Kowa scopes. A search online didnt throw up the review but from memory I believe that the image resolution was very good as was FOV, tested with a 25-50x e/p. Could be worth contacting one of the UK stockists (Cley Spy/One stop nature shop) and seeing if they have more details. Oreville1989 uses Kite bins and he rates them highly, so maybe worth dropping him a PM.

Scratch my earlier comments. The sp 82 Ed was the one I remember from a previous thread. It is the same basic scope format as the Zen Ray ed2 and the Vortex Razor. It is offered with the 25-50x wide angle zoom which offers excellent performance at all magnifications.

Kite are definitely worth a look in my opinion, although I would say that as I work for the main UK retailer!
In my honest opinion I think their binocular line up is very strong, especially the Ibis ED, have been very impressed by these.
The SP-ED80 and SP-ED82 are 2 scopes I've always wanted to try, if they are anything like the KSP 80 HD then they should be very impressive.
If anyone is in Norfolk and has an interest in Kite products then pop into The One Stop Nature Shop at Burnham Deepdale for a look.
Its very hard to personally describe how good a binocular/scope is as everyone has different impressions of image quality etc but I do think Kite are worth considering if in the market for new optics.

Frank - to satisfy your curiosity and to aid in your quest for completeness in cataloging all things optical, the KSP is born of the Kamakura stable and it would appear that it is now being offered in slightly different formats by other vendors. I believe there's a Brunton model based on the same chassis for example.

Cheers, Pete

Peter,...Havent seen the Brunton Model (didnt know they had any other model than the Eterna series)...The VORTEX RAZOR and ZEN RAY ED82 that Frank mentioned are definitely based in the same scope....I owned the ZEN version and had it coupled with a Swaro SW 30X eyepiece..Very nice scope

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back