• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chromatic aberration (1 Viewer)

Before I begin this post I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Hello,
If the magnification on binoculars is higher can it increase Chromatic aberration. I mean this with Nikon binoculars. Thankyou all :t:

Henry

Hi,

in general the so called longitudinal chromatic aberration will limit the maximum useful magnification in refractive optics (if not some other factor like seeing does limit it before). This kind of chromatic aberration is mainly a property of the objective design and is usually well controlled in todays binocular designs.
For spotting scopes without ED or fluorite elements it tends to become an issue at around 40x magnification and you notice that you don't really find an exact point of best focus any more but rather a fairly wide area where the image is least blurry.

The kind of chromatic aberration we usually see in binoculars is transversal chromatic aberration which shows itself as purple and yellow fringes at hard contrast edges, especially far from the optical axis. This is mainly governed by eyepiece design - more complex EPs tend to take better care of it than simple ones, and since most aberrations tend to get worse far from the axis, a narrow field of view can hide them, but of course most users want a wide field of view... choices for the designer...

TLDR: In general with refracting telescopes, yes - with binoculars usually not.

Joachim

Hi,

in general the so called longitudinal chromatic aberration will limit the maximum useful magnification in refractive optics (if not some other factor like seeing does limit it before). This kind of chromatic aberration is mainly a property of the objective design and is usually well controlled in todays binocular designs.
For spotting scopes without ED or fluorite elements it tends to become an issue at around 40x magnification and you notice that you don't really find an exact point of best focus any more but rather a fairly wide area where the image is least blurry.

The kind of chromatic aberration we usually see in binoculars is transversal chromatic aberration which shows itself as purple and yellow fringes at hard contrast edges, especially far from the optical axis. This is mainly governed by eyepiece design - more complex EPs tend to take better care of it than simple ones, and since most aberrations tend to get worse far from the axis, a narrow field of view can hide them, but of course most users want a wide field of view... choices for the designer...

TLDR: In general with refracting telescopes, yes - with binoculars usually not.

Joachim

Thank you very much, this helped a lot. I wanted a higher magnification but I was wandering about the disadvantages of higher magnifications.

It is not the highest magnification, but it is the focal ratio. Binoculars designed for 25x (f/4) have the same AC as an 8x (f/4). Binoculars must be tested like shoes before deciding if they are right for us.
Don't let yourself be pre-conditioned by the magnification. Try them.

Hello, I am on quite a budget so am looking at some older models. Aculon, Action? 10x I just need a low price bino that performs reasonably well. Thanks.

Thank you very much, this helped a lot. I wanted a higher magnification but I was wandering about the disadvantages of higher magnifications.

Hi,

with hand-held binoculars it's usually a smaller field of view, smaller exit pupil in comparison to models of comparable size but lower magnification and most of all, the increasing difficulty of holding the instrument steady enough to actually see more (you can cheat in the latter department by buying a pair of Canon IS of course ;-)

Hello, I am on quite a budget so am looking at some older models. Aculon, Action? 10x I just need a low price bino that performs reasonably well. Thanks.

In that case looking for sth used might be a good idea... if you can fit the following into your budget, you could do a lot worse...

https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/opticron-dba-10x42-oasis-wp-s-coat-ref-11786.html

This was Opticrons top offering back then and cost 900 quid - the following review is a bit lackluster due to these facts but for 300 quid you will be hard pressed to find a better view.

https://www.allbinos.com/150-binoculars_review-Opticron_Oasis_10x42_DBA.html

Or this one - it's not Canon's top dog, the legendary 10x42 IS, but you'll see a lot more in these stabilized ones than in other 10x bins due to no shakes... otoh there's a lot more delicate electronics and mechanics in there to break than in normal bins and of course batteries to forget....

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Canon-10X30-IS-III-_251605.html

Here's a review of it's grandfather, the 10x30 IS - the optics has not changed a lot in those but the stabilization has been improved with later models...

https://garyseronik.com/review-canons-image-stabilized-binoculars/

Other places to look for used bins besides gumtree or ebay might be in focus optics, ffordes and of course the classifieds here...
When buying from a private seller as opposed to a business with a return policy, I like to be able to test the bins in person... I have made exceptions for sales in the classifieds here and have not regretted it.

Joachim

Last edited:
Jay,

I have an Aculon 10x42 and Action VII 10x50.
Both are good value although not waterproof.

It is the Action 10-22x50 that has bad false colour at 22x, but I still use it for Jupiter's moons.
I would not recommend it as a general use or birdwatching binocular.

Regards,
B

Jay,

I have an Aculon 10x42 and Action VII 10x50.
Both are good value although not waterproof.

It is the Action 10-22x50 that has bad false colour at 22x, but I still use it for Jupiter's moons.
I would not recommend it as a general use or birdwatching binocular.

Regards,
B
Ok, so is it the zoom that is bad?

Hi,

with hand-held binoculars it's usually a smaller field of view, smaller exit pupil in comparison to models of comparable size but lower magnification and most of all, the increasing difficulty of holding the instrument steady enough to actually see more (you can cheat in the latter department by buying a pair of Canon IS of course ;-)

In that case looking for sth used might be a good idea... if you can fit the following into your budget, you could do a lot worse...

https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/opticron-dba-10x42-oasis-wp-s-coat-ref-11786.html

This was Opticrons top offering back then and cost 900 quid - the following review is a bit lackluster due to these facts but for 300 quid you will be hard pressed to find a better view.

https://www.allbinos.com/150-binoculars_review-Opticron_Oasis_10x42_DBA.html

Or this one - it's not Canon's top dog, the legendary 10x42 IS, but you'll see a lot more in these stabilized ones than in other 10x bins due to no shakes... otoh there's a lot more delicate electronics and mechanics in there to break than in normal bins and of course batteries to forget....

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Canon-10X30-IS-III-_251605.html

Here's a review of it's grandfather, the 10x30 IS - the optics has not changed a lot in those but the stabilization has been improved with later models...

https://garyseronik.com/review-canons-image-stabilized-binoculars/

Other places to look for used bins besides gumtree or ebay might be in focus optics, ffordes and of course the classifieds here...
When buying from a private seller as opposed to a business with a return policy, I like to be able to test the bins in person... I have made exceptions for sales in the classifieds here and have not regretted it.

Joachim
I might give the opticron binoculars a try?

Hello Jay_Feather,

I have a Nikon Action EX Porro in 8 x 40 , it is not expensive and performs very well , in fact it has been the best value for money purchase that I have made thus far.
Have a look at the Nikon Action EX series of binoculars , they might just be what you are looking for.

Cheers.

Hello Jay_Feather,

I have a Nikon Action EX Porro in 8 x 40 , it is not expensive and performs very well , in fact it has been the best value for money purchase that I have made thus far.
Have a look at the Nikon Action EX series of binoculars , they might just be what you are looking for.

Cheers.
Thanks they look very good and in my price range, maybe the one?

Thanks they look very good and in my price range, maybe the one?

Hi,

the Action EX series is the best of the "cheap" porro bins from Nikon (they also offer the E2 series but they are not really sold outside of Japan and not in budget). The Aculon series is priced even lower.

The problem is that they only have a 10x50 which is neither light nor small. It is also close to 200€ new, so I think a good used midrange bin is a better deal.

Here's some opinions on it from allbinos (although not a formal test):

https://www.allbinos.com/197-Nikon_Action_EX_10x50_CF-binoculars_specifications.html

And here's a test of the Aculon 10x50:

https://www.allbinos.com/286-binoculars_review-Nikon_ACULON_A211_10x50.html

Joachim

Jay,

Joachim has made some useful suggestion. I'll send you a link by PM to a company that often has Nikon porros at a reasonable price... with some notes of caution.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back