• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Seeing double

26/02/2014
It was a nice afternoon so I had to get out of work.
Ventured down to Thameside Nature park as still not seen a kingfisher at this site. This time I thought I'll turn right rather than the previous left track I followed.
Within a few minutes I spotted one and it was noisy calling out, something told me there might be more than one present.
It was fishing from a tree, flying around and then coming back pretty quick, only later when I looked at the photo's it was two flying around and landing at the tree. Then finally they landed together!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/12800372683/

Attachments

• KF x 2.jpg
    KF x 2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Wow,amazing stuff.
I was well happy when I got two Barn owls in the same shot at Titchwell the other say but two kingfishers,superb stuff matey

I visited again this afternoon/evening hoping to see the kingfisher couple. But they were on another lake and the gates closed early so didn't get the time to see where they were fishing from. It's Warren Fishery next to Thameside Nature park. I'm on a bit of a lucky streak as this is the third kingfisher couple I have seen in the past month, using BTO as my guide.

We had given up on the Langdon kingfisher as we thought it had gone off to find a mate. But we took a look anyway and just when we were fooled by a low flying blackbird across the top of the lake, a kingfisher showed it how it's done with a really low flying display. Also a few more tufted ducks have arrived and later on the heron checked in for some night fishing (how do they do that?) or maybe just to roost if they can't night fish. (I am also beginning to realise you can't trust all you read as I've now found a couple kingfisher that fish in unclear water)

Last edited:
19 - 03 - 2014
Kingfisher at Warren Fishery, Stanford le Hope. But more amazing was a Great Crested Grebe couple with 2 chicks already!! I read on the net they have their chicks early!!

Last edited:
25 - 03 0- 2014
Kingfisher at Warren Fishery, Stanford le Hope, it darted along a stretch of water pretty similar to a river. As I've seen before they wait by the slower water for fish to pass, in this case where a lake enters a small river like channel. What I haven't determined if this is a lone kingfisher without a partner. I am pretty sure there were 3 present the other week and either this is the lone one or I only saw 2 and it's either got a mate or the mate moved on.

Think there is only two ,we have been looking over the warren where they seem to spend a lot of time and two frequent the reedbeds a lot,although they are obviously nesting on the lake as the banks are more conducive

Think there is only two ,we have been looking over the warren where they seem to spend a lot of time and two frequent the reedbeds a lot,although they are obviously nesting on the lake as the banks are more conducive

Thanks Sniper, yeah I shall keep a look out for any nesting.

1st April 2014 - 5.30
It was very enjoyable at Warren fishery yesterday evening!! Kingfisher madness. There were definitely 2 present and what a noise they made!! Add to that the geese chasing each other, making a noise, Green woodpecker calling each other and tits, robins and blackbirds calling - it was quite a din!! Once I had tuned into the kingfisher call, I'm sure there were a few present, as I could hear them on a few of the lakes. Either that or they were covering a lot of ground. The 2 in the photo, sat with each other for 30 minutes. I'm not sure they were a couple as they seemed to move to different branches all the time. I did not see any fish offering either.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/13568931454/

1st April 2014 - 5.30
It was very enjoyable at Warren fishery yesterday evening!! Kingfisher madness. There were definitely 2 present and what a noise they made!! Add to that the geese chasing each other, making a noise, Green woodpecker calling each other and tits, robins and blackbirds calling - it was quite a din!! Once I had tuned into the kingfisher call, I'm sure there were a few present, as I could hear them on a few of the lakes. Either that or they were covering a lot of ground. The 2 in the photo, sat with each other for 30 minutes. I'm not sure they were a couple as they seemed to move to different branches all the time. I did not see any fish offering either.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/13568931454/

Can be really special down there. I used to be a day season holder - never forget the reed warbler that landed on my rod. Last time I poped my nose in the gate with my bins and scope I was told I was not permitted in. Years ago I recall people walking around. Is that allowed, do you know. Or is there a non fishing ticket available?

10-04-2014 19:00 Belhus Woods
I thought I had been lucky seeing 4 pairs of kingfisher so far this year, but to see a 5th pair was knockout! I saw one dart off and lost track of it, it disappeared so quick. I thought it had flown some distance so headed off to find it but with no luck. So I tracked back and bingo!! 2 sat on a branch, my 3rd pair sat together this year!! Before I had got there I could hear the distinctive sound and it sounded like 2. It's quite a din. They then flew off and I backed off and when I returned I caught one flying up and down.

Last edited:
15-04-2014 18:30 Wanstead Park
Another pair of kingfishers, this time at Wanstead Park. It was difficult to see them due to the grass verge on one side and the trees/woods on the other side. But I could hear them calling each other and then could see them as they flew past the gaps. The call is very distinctive, a very quick repeat of the tee-chi, tee-chi, tee-chi and calls as they went off in different directions.

23-04-2014 19:00 Belhus Woods.
Kingfisher diving in the distance on a lake with banks, approx 100m away from view point.
Shall keep an eye on this one!

24-04-2014 Chafford Gorges Nature Park 19:00
I've seen a kingfisher at Chafford Gorges NR before and have read they are resident. This evening on a visit I heard the distinctive single shrill whistle 'chi', before the rapidly repeated 'chi-keeeee' call that I now associate with a couple. I could hear the calls all over the gorge, as they flew about. I then finally saw one fly past me and across the largest lake into the distance which was well over 100m. It was also nice to see a pair of barnacle geese with 4 chicks, over half a dozen cormorants sat in the trees, a couple of heron flying in and a little egret.

30-04-2014 18:00
Kingfisher at Stanford Warren NR this evening. Making single warning calls to the heron, gulls, ducks and geese as it flew pass. Good to see the GCG still has it's 2 chicks.

kingfishers at RSPB Rainham Marshes today

I spent this afternoon at RSPB Rainham Marshes which when I look a the OS map for the area is just in Essex, or the part where I was is - apologies to anyone from London who disagrees as I realise it's very borderline (literally). Anyway back to birds, and i spent my time there in the Marshland hide watching the kingfishers coming and going to their nest, lovely close views and although most of the time they were in and out very quickly a kind swan positioned itself right in front of the nest and the kingfishers just moved around the various perches waiting for it to move so got some lengthy views (thank you mr. swan!). I managed plenty of pics and here are a few of them, some in flight and some perched. One pic was a bit of a disaster as the bird was so close I couldnt get it in the frame with my 100-400 lens on 300mm, most of the pics were taken at between 200 & 300mm FL

Attachments

• 2395 kingfisher.jpg
    2395 kingfisher.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 2409 kingfisher.jpg
    2409 kingfisher.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 2677 kingfisher.jpg
    2677 kingfisher.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 2722 kingfisher.jpg
    2722 kingfisher.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 2751 kingfisher.jpg
    2751 kingfisher.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 77
I spent this afternoon at RSPB Rainham Marshes which when I look a the OS map for the area is just in Essex, or the part where I was is - apologies to anyone from London who disagrees as I realise it's very borderline (literally). Anyway back to birds, and i spent my time there in the Marshland hide watching the kingfishers coming and going to their nest, lovely close views and although most of the time they were in and out very quickly a kind swan positioned itself right in front of the nest and the kingfishers just moved around the various perches waiting for it to move so got some lengthy views (thank you mr. swan!). I managed plenty of pics and here are a few of them, some in flight and some perched. One pic was a bit of a disaster as the bird was so close I couldnt get it in the frame with my 100-400 lens on 300mm, most of the pics were taken at between 200 & 300mm FL

Nice pics Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back