• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

western France today : immature Brant goose ? (1 Viewer)

Hello

amongst the hundreds of Brant (Branta bernicla) already here on the estuary we got this one

Is it an immature ? or...

thanks in advance

BM

Attachments

• PXL_20201019_193641566.LS_exported_199_1603136306171.jpg
    PXL_20201019_193641566.LS_exported_199_1603136306171.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 107
Hello Buck,
is that a black and white picture taken from the camera-monitor? It might help if you post the original.
Apart from that, it looks good for a 1cy White-fronted Goose. Its hard to find a Bean Goose that lacks any dark markings on the bill, paleness and contrast on the wing looks good for WFG and I can imagine seeing the right dark area at the base of the bill

I hesitate to id this bird with certainty, because bill/head profile coud be a little better for a WFG, with a slightly shorter bill and a steeper forehead. But this is within variation for a WFG.

Conclusion: the original pctures, please. If I had to put a name on this bird, I would say possible Greater White-fronted Goose.

Bonjour et thanks to you all

Alexander

sorry for the confusion

the OP was taken with my phone, of the screen of the RAW file opened in the Cannon software before any processing

Michele just 'processed' the raw file which I attache to this post

Our process is

Michèle is more a a photograph than a birder : so takes pictures with her 'real' camera and I, birder, observe and take some pictures with my phone

Michèle then uses Luninar4 to deal with the Raw image files and decides which shots she wants to keep

last night whilst looking at her images from day she saw this 'unusual' bird in a shot of a flock of Brent goose (Branta bernicla) so she asked me what it was

M was taking a shot of the leaders of the flock and the bird in question was not the object of the photograph

The shot taken yesterday on an overcast day on the estuary of the Loire

@ Nutty and Joern

thanks

a white-fronted goose (Anser albifrons) would be unusual here and would start a homologation process

Thanks a lot for your help

BM

ps : lessons learnt

1. post the 'treated image'
2 I need to improve my understanding of digital photography

Good obs and stay safe
B

Attachments

• IMG_6532 -bm.jpg
    IMG_6532 -bm.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 43
Presumably a lost gosling that was picked up by a Brent Goose flock and stayed with them on migration. Look out for some strange hybrids in 2 or 3 years :-O

Presumably a lost gosling that was picked up by a Brent Goose flock and stayed with them on migration. Look out for some strange hybrids in 2 or 3 years :-O

OK
for the homologation committee ...should I quote Hans Christian Anderson or the Bros. Grimm ?

coz if I get it wrong ...
they still have burning at the stake as an option and I'm not sure anyone will fly in to rescue me and even then if I marry the king I will lose my photographer...

have fun
BM

OK
for the homologation committee ...should I quote Hans Christian Anderson or the Bros. Grimm ?

coz if I get it wrong ...
they still have burning at the stake as an option and I'm not sure anyone will fly in to rescue me and even then if I marry the king I will lose my photographer...

have fun
BM
Try Tinbergen and imprinting 3:)

I understood that there are a small number of White-fronts that overwinter in the Bordeaux region? Or at least used to. In which case, it may just be that it's with the flock as there aren't really any other goose flocks ...

I understood that there are a small number of White-fronts that overwinter in the Bordeaux region? Or at least used to. In which case, it may just be that it's with the flock as there aren't really any other goose flocks ...

Hi Dan

there are infrequent sightings in southern Brittany, there was one a few days earlier but still unusual

it is much more frequent in the east of France

cheers
BM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back