• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

Spent a few hours at Abberton this morning.

Plenty of birds about including Goosander, Goldeneye, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Mallard, Smew (3m & 1f), Grey Heron, Redshank, Black Tailed Godwit, B H Gull, Common Gull, Canada and Greylag, a couple of Jay, Goldfinch, Pheasant, Kestrel, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Wren, Blackbird, G C Grebe and a few more.

And just had a Song Thrush in my garden, which is a rare occurance, so not a bad morning all told.

Hi. I haven't long been in the forum. So have only just found the Essex thread. My local patch is Valentines park in Ilford. Which is getting an increasingly varied selection of wildfowl, of late.

Welcome to the Essex thread Goldfynche - the more contributors the better, and I for one look forward to reading about any sightings you have, that is a part of Essex I have not explored yet.

West Canvey Marshes RSPB reserve is due to open sometime in the new year. I drove past the parking lot on Christmas Day and can already see paths in place and the construction of a new hide which overlooks the roadside fleet.

This fleet has had an assortment of passage waders over the years with Wood and Curlew Sandpipers all occuring. It hasn't always been the most convenient place to stop, being on a main road and has often dried completely out by autumn, but with the new hide, parking facilities and management of the water levels this could once again prove to be a good birding area, wonder what other good areas there are here to explore when it opens.

Hi All

Had a good day at colne point yesterday,shore lark ,water pipit,bewick swans,spoonbills and merlin the highlights , also at least 3 rock pipits and a probable twite (just caught a pink rump and white tail sides dissapearing into the undergrowth !).
note today also reported ,ring tailed hen harrier, gn diver and short eared owl.

PH

Finally got my arse in gear and went for the Spotted Sandpiper at Abberton. Glad I did as it's a cracking bird. Also had 3 Smew (2 male, 1 redhead), Buzzard, Green Sandpiper and excellent views of Bittern.

Phil

Finally got my arse in gear and went for the Spotted Sandpiper at Abberton. Glad I did as it's a cracking bird. Also had 3 Smew (2 male, 1 redhead), Buzzard, Green Sandpiper and excellent views of Bittern.

Phil

Nice one! If anyone else is pondering whether to go and look for the sandpiper, you need to go in the next few days. There will be no access to the reservoir away from the causeways from Monday 4th Jan. Until then, you can get a permit from the visitor centre, as long as you're a member of EWT or EBS.

Birding starts for the new year: Westcliff Seafront had a good turnout of birds and birders in the morning.

The adult Ring-billed Gull was the main draw for year listers and for most he perfromed well until about 11.30. Also two Black-throated Divers were present, one of which has been around for three days, usually lingering just offshore around the end of the concrete outflow allowing good views through the scope, it is likely it'll be there again tomorrow morning. The second bird was further out towards mid channel. Also for the visitors were a Red-throated Diver, a drake Red-breasted Merganser,3 an immature drake Eider and 6 adult Mediterranean Gulls.

Anyone going tomorrow should be there between 9 and 11 to stand best chance of the Ring-billed and the Diver.

Generally Great Northern Divers are rather distant in the Thames, or anywhere else off the Essex Coast for that matter, however now is one of those special years where they linger close to the end of Southend Pier.

Today there were 5 Great Northerns all a few feet from the boardwalk with the photo opportinuties high. The last time this occured was two years ago and then 10 years before that so if you want great close up views then the pier is a must visit place, make sure to check the tidetable before you go, a couple hours either side of and upto high tide is best.

See attached images

Cool pics Steve, I noticed a lot of activity when I looked at the RSPB south-essex sightings page, looks like it's all go down at Southend. :t:

The New Year tends to see a lot of activity from the local birders who are out starting new year lists. this tends to dribble away after a few weeks but I'm hoping can keep the momentum going.

In total today there were seven Great Northern Divers off Southend Pier, the five crab munchers close in and two further out into the estuary. This is the highest single count I have had in the Thames in thirty years "get them while they're hot".

i spent about an hour at Abberton Reservoir yesterday

i saw 4 Turnstones, 5 Goosanders, possible 3 Bewick swans, Goldeneye and many more

Walking to work along the river by Tesco HomePlus in Chelmsford, and there was a female Goosander in amongst a flock of gulls.

Walking to work along the river by Tesco HomePlus in Chelmsford, and there was a female Goosander in amongst a flock of gulls.

They've been around on and off quite a bit, good to hear there's still one around - the lake in Central Park is pretty much iced over so the two males are not there any more. There were 15 on the river a couple of weeks ago. :t:

The Chelmer Valley reserve in Chelmsford was full of Redwings today, a few Fieldfares around too.

It's been a very pleasant walk to and from work this week along the River Colne. Numbers of Goosanders have risen to 35 this morning, I see Kingfisher most days, had a Woodcock on Monday and, best of all, a Great Northern Diver fly over yesterday. Surprisingly no Siskins or Redpolls in the Alders though. Anyone else getting any?

Phil

I've not seen any Siskins here either, my brother thought he heard some in Ipswich but wasn't sure as he's not seen them before.

Took a rather snowy walk across the Baddow meads and along the River Chelmer into Chelmsford this morning. Saw a goose (not sure species, need to check calls to see if I can ID it - was really snowing when it flew over) flying south alongside two Cormorants and near Moulsham Mill there are now 27 Goosanders gathered on the river, so it looks like they are all gathering somewhat given Phil's sightings. I saw a couple more Cormorants in that area too.

I've not seen any Siskins here either, my brother thought he heard some in Ipswich but wasn't sure as he's not seen them before.

Took a rather snowy walk across the Baddow meads and along the River Chelmer into Chelmsford this morning. Saw a goose (not sure species, need to check calls to see if I can ID it - was really snowing when it flew over) flying south alongside two Cormorants and near Moulsham Mill there are now 27 Goosanders gathered on the river, so it looks like they are all gathering somewhat given Phil's sightings. I saw a couple more Cormorants in that area too.

i should imagine it's well worth checking the rivers for the likes of gooseander and other grebes/ wildfowl as the lakes and reservoirs freeze over

cheers

Lots of Redwing around Maldon this morning. About 20 or so flying over the Longship Way area, often settling there or in Hemmings Court and Washington Road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back